Should Fairview High School Be Allowed to host the All A Classic again?

That gym does not hold 1100 people. If a larger gym could be found at a reasonable rental fee it should be done. However, as it stands, the schools rotate hosting the Class A. It was Fairview's turn and they probably did the best they could. No one expected the large Rose Hill crowd for the girl's game to stick around for the boy's game. It should have been anticipated because many thought it would be an exciting game. Those that had to leave should be happy. Fairview played extremely well and blew out an Elliott County team that suddenly became very selfish.

The key to Elliott is Weddington. He got in early foul trouble and it was curtains.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What you need to do is find out who the tournament director or official was and email him/her your concerns/complaints but also with some suggestions of how to handle the situation in future years. They were probably caught in a bad situation and they would like to correct it so fans could enjoy the games and they can max the amount of money collected.

I believe the 10th region All "A" schools voted to move the semi-finals and finals to the recently renovated Campbell County (CC is 4-A) Middle School Gym (one of the largest in the area) for the next five years, in an effort to meet the goals you're stating. I thought it was a good move at the time, and now it sounds even better!!

Actually, its the 37th District Tournament that will be at the Middle School.

As stated above, rather than completely pass on our spot in the rotation we opted to host it at the Middle School this year - it will go to Bracken County next year.

Weatherby has been proposed a couple of times the most recent last year, since Fairview started a new rotation. Fairview had no interest in moving to Weatherby nor did most of the other schools. (hard to blame them, the fear was losing a hometown attraction) It's a little different in Northern Kentucky where only a few miles separate most of the schools and NKU is in the middle. Weatherby was even mentioned when Rose Hill/Raceland final a few years ago sparked big interest but Menifee Co. AD Howard was not interested. (West girls also played that night) Many fans chose not to make the trip to Frenchburg for fear of not getting in after driving for close to 2 hours. Sometimes the small school tournament has fallen prey to small thinking as well. Schools voted to put boys/girls games together to help crowds but separating the championship games would have been smart and generated more $$ for the schools. Adding an extra hour between games to empty the gym would have been nice. Fairviews gym seats nowhere near 1,100 people. The final tally will probably show around 600-700 paying in attendance for the championship game. Maybe more with the early exits before the start of the boys game. Easy way to find out is for the schools to check the financial report and I would guess the gate to be between 3,000-3,500. It will be Raceland's turn to host next season so the problem is solved for 1 year. Plenty of room in the Palace! :thumb:

As stated above, rather than completely pass on our spot in the rotation we opted to host it at the Middle School this year - it will go to Bracken County next year.

Do you got a schedule for all of the games, Mustang?

Tournaments should be held at a gym that can handle the demand for the game. There is no way Fairviews gym can handle that many fans, so the games should have been moved. I also think this problem may arise again during the 64th district tournament. With a very competetive field this year, I fully expect the crowds to be more than what Rose Hills gym can handle, therefore they should look into moving the site for the tournament before there is the same fiasco. The fans should not be penalized for a gym being too small, after all we are the ones who support the kids and the programs.

Nothing like being half right?? :D

Eagle 8 is correct that Wetherby has been seriously considered. It, in fact was secured for the finals that Eagle mentioned, but as he said Menifees' AD chose to refuse the move. Therein is the problem, each school gets the opportunity to host and sometimes poor decisions, sometimes by mistake and other times from flat out horrible judgement, are made.

In this case I feel Fairview underestimated the interest in these games and therefore the outcome was unavoidable. It's easy to make decisions after the fact.

I have always defended the kids from the schools hosting have the right to play on their home court with their familiar surroundings. But there should be some contingency plans in place when you have 4 different schools represented in the finals. The easiest seems to be to split these two games. Probably all of the schools in the region can hold any 2 school matchup that might arise in the All A. There might be some exceptions but for most years this would solve most problems like occured this year. Then when that unlikely scenerio happens some common sense should be used and make a decision that is beneficial to all.

I have the answer!!!

Why dosen't the 16th region play their girls tournament one week and then play the boys region the next week. This is what a majority of the regions do. This would solve the problem of the overcrowding in the finals.

In most years separate boys and girls tournaments would be a financial disaster. This year was unusual. In past tournaments this problem has not existed. Separating the finals when four schools are involved will probably solve the problem.

Folks, hindsight is 20-20. It's easy to criticise after the fact. My opinion is that Fairview was the host and did nothing wrong. They have the right to host the tournament in the manner they choose. There is nothing wrong with having a sellout and turning away fans at the gate. This happens all the time at sporting events everywhere. The only problem I see is administration could have handled it better at the time especially for those who had advanced tickets. My guess is those who had unused tickets could surely get refunds from the Fairview office by returning the tickets. This was unfortunate, but a good problem for our area to have. (I think the whole thing is the fault of the Rose Hill fans. :p )