Molina gets steamrolled.

LRCW

No doubt with Molina. You see that with players from every team. Phillips is an obvious one that Cardinal fans hate, but I'm sure would love to have. Pete Rose was the same way. I really don't have a problem with Molina. As I said with the first post, I would love to have him on my team. The way Carpenter has treated some of his teammates out in the field, and in the dugout, and the way he was whined about the balls being different at GABP is the reason most Reds fans hate him, and probably wouldn't want him on their team.

He calls them out if they are not doing what they are supposed to do. I am sure the Reds have someone that does it as well. They may not do it as public as Carp but I guarantee there is one that does it.

I know that Ryan was one that Carp was tough on but from everything I have heard and read is that he needed it.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He calls them out if they are not doing what they are supposed to do. I am sure the Reds have someone that does it as well. They may not do it as public as Carp but I guarantee there is one that does it.

I know that Ryan was one that Carp was tough on but from everything I have heard and read is that he needed it.

I'm sure there is a Red (Scott Rolen) that gets on a player when it needs to be done, but you know as well as I do he'll do it in the clubhouse, where it should be done.

Molina, who complained of a headache afterward, doesn't believe the hit was malicious.

"I never saw the guy coming," Molina said. "I was concentrating on catching the ball. I never saw him coming, but the real pain was in my head. I don't know if he was (targeting) my head or not."

St. Louis Cardinals catcher Yadier Molina leaves after collision at plate - ESPN

Molina, who complained of a headache afterward, doesn't believe the hit was malicious.

"I never saw the guy coming," Molina said. "I was concentrating on catching the ball. I never saw him coming, but the real pain was in my head. I don't know if he was (targeting) my head or not."

St. Louis Cardinals catcher Yadier Molina leaves after collision at plate - ESPN

Just more whining...

In a lot of these instances, the blame is usually placed on the runner...did he really have to bowl the guy over, or could he have slid? However, I think a lot of times the blame has to be on the catcher. I mean, on what other base do you see guys place nearly their entire body in front of the bag to block the progress of the runner? You don't see first basemen running up the line on a throw that's sailed wide of the bag, trying to shoulder block the runner while they wait for the ball.

If you really want to cut down on the number of collisions like this, then you're going to have to go to some sort of judgement call by the umpire. If the catcher is blocking the plate (and that includes foot, leg or whole body) before he has the ball...then the runner is automatically safe, regardless of when the tag is applied. Likewise, if the runner makes contact with the catcher (in a non-sliding manner) before he has the ball (and assuming he's not blocking the plate)...then it's an automatic out. But, I don't see anything like this being implemented or enforced.

When I saw the play I knew Carp would be all over it, and I love it. Wish the team would have been a little more fired up. This is why I love Carp. Old school player who doesn't care about making any friends and that is why he is so respected in the clubhouse. He saw his guy get lit up out there and was going to let everyone know he didn't like it.

I know Molina was in the way and everything but Harrison went at him like a safety. Molina has guts that's for sure, but if he is out for awhile the Cards will be in big trouble. IMO they're aren't many guys who mean more to their club than Molina. The play has the potential to be season changing.

Chris Carpenter is one of those guys you hate if he is on an opposing team but love if he is on your team. The guy makes my skin crawl. If Cueto were on an opposing team and had spiked a Red in the noggin, he would be hated in Cincy for ever. But, he is a Red and we love him. :idunno:

The photo of Carpenter was taken after Harrison was hit, during the time when Clint Hurdle was complaining about the warning being given to both benches. Looked like Carpenter was in the starting blocks hoping for something to break out. With him being on the disabled list and inactive to play, I wonder if there would have been some special sanction had he joined in an on-field fracas?

How is that whining? he said he didn't believe the hit was malicious. PLus he said he never saw him coming to know.

The best catcher in the game didn't know where the runner he was trying to get out was at the point of impact? Hard to believe that one. Also he questioned if Harrison was going for his head. One simple check of the replay shows that to be nowhere close to the case...

The best catcher in the game didn't know where the runner he was trying to get out was at the point of impact? Hard to believe that one. Also he questioned if Harrison was going for his head. One simple check of the replay shows that to be nowhere close to the case...

He was going for the ball so he had to take his eyes off the runner.

Did his shoulder not hit Molina in the head?