Class 2A Championship: #2 Somerset vs. #3 Mayfield Predictions/Updates

Bac2369

Who wins?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

Somerset comes in at 13-1 on the season with an impressive 40-25 win over Breathitt County in the State Semifinals.

Mayfield comes 13-1 as well on the season. Mayfield defeated fellow 2A Power Beechwood 35-7.

Who wins the Class 2A State Championship? Both teams are very impressive on the season with huge wins to get here. Does Somerset get there 1st ever Title? Or Does Mayfield add to its collection of titles?

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

High scoring game, but defense will win it. Somerset has the better defense, and played really good passing teams, but not as good as Mayfield. I'm not predicting a score, but I'm taken the Jumpers defense, and ground and pound run game. If Somerset gets enough stops on defense they can win this.

Somerset beat Beechwood 42-13. Beechwood only scores were a kickoff return, and 1 on JV. Go Jumpers. Mayfield 35-7 against Beechwood, and look at RPI. Can it get any closer? Winner wins by 7 points or less.

I’ve said all season since the first game that Somerset played against my rockets that they were for real and would be playing at Kroger field against most likely Mayfield and would luck have it that’s the match up we get. Somerset this is your year forget that your 0-5 in title games all that matters is that this year you make it 1-5. Jumpers jump just a little higher and a little further than Mayfield.

Somerset 34

Mayfield 30

At this point, I can see how anyone who has seen either of these teams play would think there is no way they lose the title game. They both look the part, very potent, can take one on the chin (or a few), and have very few weaknesses.

I have been to ten of Mayfield's games. So I have seen enough to know what they are capable of. Their defense was a question mark for me most of the season. And mainly because they weren't playing a full game and staying locked in, but they seemed to have entered the building so to speak. Their offense has never been a question mark and that is obvious to most anybody.

It looks like Somerset has a three headed attack. QB is big and strong (has a nice stiffarm), and the RB and WR seem to make big plays all the time. They seem to want to run, and set their passing game up off of that (mainly the deep fade in the Breathitt game). And outside of the LCA game (35 points), the most they gave up in a game was 26. That's pretty solid.

It's Somerset's desire for their first state title versus Mayfield's rage over being matchup up with two All-Decade teams the last two trips to Lex, and coming home empty handed.

Mayfield's championship game experience and their players and coaches expecting to win every time they walk on the field will be the difference for me. Somerset's 0-5 record in championship games will be mentioned over and over. If someone hears this enough, it will have maybe the smallest effect, but just enough.