Bac2369

Who wins?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somerset hasn't played a team with the offensive firepower of Mayfield.

This is likely true. Somerset’s defense is good but not great. They have played an LCA team that is very similar in style of play and has elite athletes. Also the same core group that played very athletic (see vancleave and co) Danville teams over the year’s, as well as an unbelievably balanced and talented CAL team last year. Mayfield played both of those groups obviously, point is this group of seniors have all started since they were sophomores and that is why they are where they are this weekend. They will be out athleted, that’s a fact, they will not however be intimidated or shell shocked by all of Mayfield’s speed, which they have in spades.

Flipping it over to Mayfield’s matchup has Mayfield played a QB as good as Sheron? A receiver as good as Grundy? A backfield and offensive line as deep and capable of taking over a game as Somerset’s? Somerset creates matchup problems because if you load the box they have playmakers on the edges, and if you keep extra guys in coverage they’ll chunk you with very physical RB and OL play. Jumpers aren’t flashy, but they can give you consistent problems.

This is likely true. Somerset’s defense is good but not great. They have played an LCA team that is very similar in style of play and has elite athletes. Also the same core group that played very athletic (see vancleave and co) Danville teams over the year’s, as well as an unbelievably balanced and talented CAL team last year. Mayfield played both of those groups obviously, point is this group of seniors have all started since they were sophomores and that is why they are where they are this weekend. They will be out athleted, that’s a fact, they will not however be intimidated or shell shocked by all of Mayfield’s speed, which they have in spades.

Flipping it over to Mayfield’s matchup has Mayfield played a QB as good as Sheron? A receiver as good as Grundy? A backfield and offensive line as deep and capable of taking over a game as Somerset’s? Somerset creates matchup problems because if you load the box they have playmakers on the edges, and if you keep extra guys in coverage they’ll chunk you with very physical RB and OL play. Jumpers aren’t flashy, but they can give you consistent problems.

Maybe they have, I would expect Somerset to be very similar to McCracken’s skill talent.

Both teams have some special kids this year. This is the matchup 2A had lead up to all year, now here we are. It should be a great football game with some exciting plays. @Jumper_Dad, I'll always have a soft spot for Somerset after our old football talks of the past, but having seen what Mayfield can do to a good team, I believe Mayfield wins this game. Best of luck to all involved!

I don't think Mayfield has seen a QB with his particular dual threat skillset. He can throw, but IMO his legs are what make him dangerous. Buy time and still make a throw or tuck and run. And from all the Hudl I've watched, he is not afraid to hang in the pocket and take a lick.

McCracken and Hopkinsville both have stud WRs. Mayfield managed to hold Hoptown guy in check, but McCracken WR put it to Mayfield. However, he was a speed guy, not a jumpball guy. I think Mayfield matches up well there.

And while Mayfield has seen some really good RB's, I don't think they have played a team with a backfield as deep as Somerset.

And I think Mayfield and LCA are molds of each other. Mayfield might have slightly better run game and defense. But what I saw, style of play and potency were on par.

I don't think Mayfield has seen a QB with his particular dual threat skillset. He can throw, but IMO his legs are what make him dangerous. Buy time and still make a throw or tuck and run. And from all the Hudl I've watched, he is not afraid to hang in the pocket and take a lick.

McCracken and Hopkinsville both have stud WRs. Mayfield managed to hold Hoptown guy in check, but McCracken WR put it to Mayfield. However, he was a speed guy, not a jumpball guy. I think Mayfield matches up well there.

And while Mayfield has seen some really good RB's, I don't think they have played a team with a backfield as deep as Somerset.

And I think Mayfield and LCA are molds of each other. Mayfield might have slightly better run game and defense. But what I saw, style of play and potency were on par.

This.

I think this game comes down to how well Somerset handles the "moment". State Championship games have become another game on Mayfield's schedule. Somerset is trying to get a huge Gorilla off their programs back...

If Somerset handles their emotions and don't get into an early hole, this is going to be a great game that comes down to the end!

I think this game comes down to how well Somerset handles the "moment". State Championship games have become another game on Mayfield's schedule. Somerset is trying to get a huge Gorilla off their programs back...

If Somerset handles their emotions and don't get into an early hole, this is going to be a great game that comes down to the end!

Mayfield plays historically conservative in the first half of championship games so that might work in Somerset's favor and allow them to get settled into the big stage without too much damage being done.

I think there is something to be said for that, especially the coaches.

Then again, this group of players have been on the big stage but have not won a title in any of their appearances. If Somerset starts strong, will that play on the minds of Mayfield's Seniors?

Then again, this group of players have been on the big stage but have not won a title in any of their appearances. If Somerset starts strong, will that play on the minds of Mayfield's Seniors?

I agree you could flip that coin either way. Lotta pressure on Somerset to win first title, and a lot of pressure on Mayfield to finally win another title after coming home empty handed the last two times. I don't feel sorry for any Mayfield player. I only got to play in one title game (lost) and didn't make it any other year.

I look at the pressure factor as how it affects you at the beginning. I think you can get too "jacked up" and it actually hurts you...I think this is what Somerset has to over come. If you get too jacked...you also can have a "fall".

Mayfield has been there and understands the feeling when running out of that tunnel and on that turf.