Class 2A Championship: #2 Somerset vs. #3 Mayfield Predictions/Updates

Bac2369

Who wins?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

This is not the Mayfield team that won all their titles, and this is not the Somerset team that was 0-5 in title games. Too many people get hung up on school names. This is the 2019 Mayfield Cardinals playing the 2019 Somerset Briar Jumpers. That said this is a 50/50 game, but Somerset's huge line, and very good Defense will be the deciding factor. Mayfield's defense isn't the best, and if they don't make stops, and Somerset defense is the best Mayfield has played, and will get some stops, this game can flip real quick. Somerset's run game is very good. If defense gets stops, and Somerset pounds the ball and scores while eating clock. Then yes it could be over early, but expect a slow 1st half, with fireworks in the second half. Jumpers 34-21.

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is not the Mayfield team that won all their titles, and this is not the Somerset team that was 0-5 in title games. Too many people get hung up on school names. This is the 2019 Mayfield Cardinals playing the 2019 Somerset Briar Jumpers. That said this is a 50/50 game, but Somerset's huge line, and very good Defense will be the deciding factor. Mayfield's defense isn't the best, and if they don't make stops, and Somerset defense is the best Mayfield has played, and will get some stops, this game can flip real quick. Somerset's run game is very good. If defense gets stops, and Somerset pounds the ball and scores while eating clock. Then yes it could be over early, but expect a slow 1st half, with fireworks in the second half. Jumpers 34-21.

Very well argued position.

Very well argued position.

Not just this game, but any game. For example everyone said Beechwood, and Danville would be favoured first of season because of who they are. Any class, any school it's that team that's dressing that day not last year, or ten years ago. Coaching I can see being a big tool, but still it's decided by those kids physically and mentally. Good luck to both, but a little more luck to the Jumpers. Lol

If Mayfield were heavily favored, I could see their track record before this season maybe making a little bit of a mental difference. But they aren't, so I don't think that has any bearing whatsoever on how Somerset approaches this game. And Mayfield certainly won't be taking them lightly. Joe & Co will have those guys locked in. And they better be if they want to have a chance to win.

This game is so tough to pick. Like was mentioned above, how can you pick against "Mayfield" but I am going to do it and go with the Briar Jumpers. I have watched several Somerset games this year and the Jumpers look like Men to me. Somerset in a close one.

This game is so tough to pick. Like was mentioned above, how can you pick against "Mayfield" but I am going to do it and go with the Briar Jumpers. I have watched several Somerset games this year and the Jumpers look like Men to me. Somerset in a close one.

Exactly, they're line is huge Johnson 6'3 270, Simmons 6'3 300, Harper 6'2 1/2 290, Cimala 6'2 1/2 240, J. Simmons 6'2 1/2 250 Speaks 6/0 225 being the smallest. Plus they're subs could start about anywhere. They're athletic and quick for big guys, and very strong. The defense is very good, and they will get stops, and are well tested, but can't make error's when coverage is changed like they did first play against Breathitt. If they get stops look for the offense to pound and ground to open up quick passes, and deep ball. Somerset has everything you need to beat Mayfield including speed and talent with physical hard-nosed powerful runners that love too hit and be hit.

Mayfield has played teams with size, so that won't be new. Were they as good as Somerset's line? I would say no to Graves and Lausanne. But Hoptown, Paducah Tilghman, McCracken, and Madisonville were all very good and on par with what Mayfield will see Saturday. And the only game they lost was to McCracken, and many will disagree but IMO no 2A team this year would have beaten that McCracken team. Not the night they played Mayfield anyway.

Exactly, they're line is huge Johnson 6'3 270, Simmons 6'3 300, Harper 6'2 1/2 290, Cimala 6'2 1/2 240, J. Simmons 6'2 1/2 250 Speaks 6/0 225 being the smallest. Plus they're subs could start about anywhere. They're athletic and quick for big guys, and very strong. The defense is very good, and they will get stops, and are well tested, but can't make error's when coverage is changed like they did first play against Breathitt. If they get stops look for the offense to pound and ground to open up quick passes, and deep ball. Somerset has everything you need to beat Mayfield including speed and talent with physical hard-nosed powerful runners that love too hit and be hit.

The only team to beat Mayfield had an Offensive line as big as this, the states leading receiver in yards and touchdowns, and the states leading rusher at the time. They also picked off Stinson 3 times, and only won by 10. I can’t see Somerset being able to emulate that, I’ll go with Mayfield 45-28.

The only team to beat Mayfield had an Offensive line as big as this, the states leading receiver in yards and touchdowns, and the states leading rusher at the time. They also picked off Stinson 3 times, and only won by 10. I can’t see Somerset being able to emulate that, I’ll go with Mayfield 45-28.

Somerset is very well balanced, and Somerset isn't McCracken. Of course you have to have more then a big line. I was only stating about their size. Somerset and Mayfield are very even with talent speed etc for the exception of size. If you think Mayfield will put 48 on Somerset, then you definitely know nothing about they're defense. They will be the best Mayfield has seen. Either way it will be a great game, and probably a 10 point or less win either way. Somerset offense is loaded, Mayfield offense is loaded, Somerset gets the edge with a better defense, and winning it in the trenches.

No one hung more than 35 on Somerset all season, so predicting 45 points for Mayfield is a little "out there". If Mayfield can score 28 or more, they have a CHANCE to win. Anything less than that and I doubt they win the ballgame.

Edited by BadaBing
punctuation