How Did You Become......

Roundsteak

...a HS Football Fan?

By most accounts football as a whole is the most popular sport in the US. There are pro fans; there are college fans and there are HS fans. Being a relatively newcomer to this site, I am amazed at the passion members here have for HS football. Of the 3 levels of football HS football gets the least amount of publicity but by reading the threads on this site it is obvious that there is a lot of passion for HS football. Most people when they leave their high school they forget about the football program. But this site paints a completely different picture. So my question is how did you become such an ardent and loyal follower of HS football?

For me it was a community event that hasn’t left me. The whole town closed down on Friday night to attend the local game whether it was Home or Away. It was that community pride that made the game a “must see” event.

So what’s your story?

I played football at Catholic grade school and would always go to St.X games. My grade school, St. Stephen Martyr, is close to St.X so most that went there would go onto St.X. I also played football as a WR for 4 years at St.X. I was a reserve so only played when there was blowouts. I was fortunate to be on 1992 State Championship team. I love football and I also attend UL football games in addition to St.X games. It has enjoyable to watch my son play who is a Senior and nice to see him play more than I ever did. High School sports are great entertainment for what the cost to get in the gate is. Glad there are other people like me on here to talk and promote high school sports.

Edited by Tigerpride94
Spelling
  • Like 1

Started going to games in elementary school and have been a fan ever since!

Wife hated football until our son started playing then in his sophomore year, she became locked in also. She loved it so much that she wouldn't sit with the other mothers, because they weren't paying as much attention to the games as she was.

• Haha 1

I played at Bowling Green from 2014-16. I’ve always loved football, from when I started playing when I was 6. There’s just something about it that holds a magic for me. It taught me so many life lessons and was the most fun I’ve ever had. The bonds with teammates will never be broken and it’s the best sport on earth.

I had always gone to games but way back in 91 I broke up with the only lady I have ever loved. I needed something to take the place of the times we spent together. SO I started going to games three days a week and when I came to the conclusion that I was never going to feel that way again, my going to games ballooned into what it is today.

• Like 1

The first time I ever witnessed a Tilghman practice as a young boy, I was hooked. I knew I wanted to be part of it and I believe I have gotten a greater sense of appreciation of it all as I have gotten older.

I get more anxious over games now than I did in the years I played. Friday night football is just really special and seems to bring all different walks of life together for a common goal.

I enjoy keeping up with football all over our Commonwealth and the BGP community allows us all an inside look at places we don't have access to ourselves.

My Dad was a HS football coach... an assistant at Lafayette HS, then the head coach at Boyle County, then Mercer County. I can remember picture day at Lafayette in 1968 (3 years old) & passing out equipment the first night at Boyle in 1969 (4 years old). My best times growing up were with my Dad, his players and coaches. I love kids and football. I'll coach as hard as I can til I run out of gas. Then, I'll spend Friday nights with family or watching the Titans, Royals, Greyhounds or Rebels play football.... with an occasional trip to Flatwoods!

• Like 2

Dad was an AD at Simon Kenton so I grew up within those hallways. During that time we were bad, awful many seasons but Friday nights were always anticipated. I served as a ball boy for years, I'll never forget how upset Red Dog was when I tossed the game ball to a group on the hillside on the North end of Davis field. Little known fact I was the ball boy for the East/West all star game coached by Red Dog. The one and only Guru was on that squad.

• Like 1

I was a backyard football kid. Never really even knowing that there was an opportunity for me to play it in an organized manner. Well, in fifth grade, my mother signed me up to play at St. Margaret Mary, and the rest was history. Of course, I had to learn so much, like a 3 point stance, how to tackle, when to stay home on defense, the holes on offense, etc. Things you don't even really think about at this stage. I had a decent maturation that lead me to play at Trinity, and then at WKU. Football is a massive part of my life. I coached at Trinity for four years post college, and I thought that it would be my vocation for the rest of my life. Well, life happened, and it lead me to other things. I'll say this, this website has made me lifelong friends with numerous people that I would never ever have met. The common denominator is a love for HS football. Of course we all have other passions. But the one thing, that always calls me back (other than TheGuru), is my love for our fellowship and banter we have here.

That said, Go Rocks, Trinity Forever!

It gave me my life back, after college like most people I struggled with weight, put on the zebra stripes and was pretty good at it, became motivated to advance to calling college football, lost weight feel better and look better. Owe all that to Friday night lights.

When I was in 8th grade, Shaun Alexander was a senior. My family was friends with the Herrons and they took me to my first Boone Co high school game. I believe it was the state championship Boone Co vs Trinity. Trinity won the game 21-10. Once a freshman although I should have played but I didn't I didnt miss a game as a fan! Home or away for Boone Co. I never missed! Once I graduated I probably went to 4 years after I graduated.

Been a fan ever since I started in high school. I graduated from Perry Central in 2004. I was asked to come out and play but never could talk the parents into it. When I started driving, I had a job and no time to play. Started following Hazard from 2006- until now. My cousin played 3 years from 2006-2008. He never played his senior year and I believe cost hazard a title. He was set to get 30+ carries a game and start at outside linebacker. Still dislike his decision today. He dislikes his decision. But man there is nothing like Friday night Football.

Born and raised in Ft Myers Florida in the Deep South... started early playing Pop Warner (mostly as Deion “Prime Time” Sanders lead blocker) and continued on to Ft Myers High School... it was ingrained in the community... I moved to Kentucky and am now giving back to this great game as a Coach and Teacher... going on 28 years... nothing better that “Friday Night Lights”