How Did You Become......

Roundsteak

On 9/19/2019 at 3:14 PM, RockPride said:

21-7...

I played in that game. One of the best games that I ever played.

I remember that game. I knew Boone was in trouble when you guys ran the opening kickoff back. You guys were very fast. We went down that day to watch Cov Cath and Boone play in the finals after we beat Murray the day before. 

I grew up in Junction City, Ky which is just outside of Danville.   I played youth ball for JC but at the time Boyle didn't have middle school football.  Started playing again once I entered high school.  We were not very good when I played.  We were in spots but never consistently.  Coached at a couple of different levels including Div III for just one season.  Would have loved to have continued but the time required was steep and my profession at the time would not allow it.  Was fortunate enough to raise my family in the same community and got to enjoy watching my son play for Boyle County also.  He was a very hard worker and continued his career at LWC for 4 years before becoming a high school coach and teacher. He has coached at Southwestern and now he is at Bullitt East.  I enjoyed watching him play in college but it just wasn't the same as high school.  Just so much more community involvement in HS.  I love the high school game and continue to enjoy it to this day.  My brothers and I have worked the chains at Boyle's home games for 16 or 17 years.  To be honest I started doing it because I could not stand to sit in the bleachers with people who know nothing about football.  But I soon learned it's a great place to watch a game.  I get to stand right next to 5-7 different coaching staffs a year and listen to how they run their teams.  I can tell you the level of high school coaching in this state can vary greatly from school to school and it's sometimes easy to see why some teams are better than they look like they would be and why some are worse. 

• Like 2

At the time I lived in Fort Thomas (Late 70's to late 90's) less than a block away from Cake Town. My dad and I would walk up to HHS every Friday to watch the football games. We went every Friday night till they played NewCath one year. I found out I was a NewCath fan that night. My father told me him and his father went to NewCath (like father like son I guess). Since then my father and I have been going to NewCath games.  I miss the old NewCath Highlands games. 

• Like 1

On 9/18/2019 at 10:22 PM, NEERFAN said:

Dad was an AD at Simon Kenton so I grew up within those hallways. During that time we were bad, awful many seasons but Friday nights were always anticipated. I served as a ball boy for years, I'll never forget how upset Red Dog was when I tossed the game ball to a group on the hillside on the North end of Davis field. Little known fact I was the ball boy for the East/West all star game coached by Red Dog. The one and only Guru was on that squad.

Big Joe was a great guy! Always enjoyed coming to SK as a coach(bball) and a football official!

Grew up with Putnam Stadium in my backyard but I never played organized football I was baseball thru and thru but my lil brother was the football baseball and basketball player. I’d started going to Ashland games in 77 while in junior high school had several close friends that played during our high school years 80-83 seasons. My brother played 87-90 was starting left tackle and defensive end his junior and senior seasons winning the state title in 90 and going on to play left tackle at Marshall and playing for 3 straight national 1AA title and winning one before second knee and shoulder surgery ended his playing days. Our dad always said he’d be a coach or in congress he became a teacher and coach and dragged me into filming for them for 22 years. But Friday nights there’s nothing like it especially when old Putnam is packed. 

• Thanks 1

We have a motto in Mayfield, that motto is “Pride and Tradition Never Graduates”.

I go back in time I attended my first football football game in the first grade and I was hooked.

I did not play football, my sport was martial arts, however in Mayfield we very seldom rebuild, we reload and that is something that this community cares about, the football team. 

To watch those young men develop as well as grow is a awesome thing in our little community. At Mayfield we expect nothing less than a state championship each year, regardless if that happens this year or not we will still be proud of our little team.

36 minutes ago, Tracy House said:

We have a motto in Mayfield, that motto is “Pride and Tradition Never Graduates”.

I go back in time I attended my first football football game in the first grade and I was hooked.

I did not play football, my sport was martial arts, however in Mayfield we very seldom rebuild, we reload and that is something that this community cares about, the football team. 

To watch those young men develop as well as grow is a awesome thing in our little community. At Mayfield we expect nothing less than a state championship each year, regardless if that happens this year or not we will still be proud of our little team.

Karate Chop GIF - Karate Chop Fight Me GIFs

I grew up going to Southern games on weekends I was with my mom. And Seneca games when I was with my dad, because my step mom taught there.

I played a few years at St. Rita. 

Then my mom moved me to Morgantown and I played a little for Butler Co. my freshman year. After leaving there to live with dad, I spent my sophomore year at Seneca. My brother was a (bad) senior at Trinity and our dad didn't want us there together. @RockPrideknows what I mean. 😉

Then I was transferred to Trinity my junior year. I was done playing football, but wanted to be a part of it. So I was a trainer for my final 2 years.

I've only missed about 25 games since 1997.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, NLTanker1 said:

I grew up going to Southern games on weekends I was with my mom. And Seneca games when I was with my dad, because my step mom taught there.

I played a few years at St. Rita. 

Then my mom moved me to Morgantown and I played a little for Butler Co. my freshman year. After leaving there to live with dad, I spent my sophomore year at Seneca. My brother was a (bad) senior at Trinity and our dad didn't want us there together. @RockPrideknows what I mean. 😉

Then I was transferred to Trinity my junior year. I was done playing football, but wanted to be a part of it. So I was a trainer for my final 2 years.

I've only missed about 25 games since 1997.

Did RockPride have a really good brother? 😲

On 9/18/2019 at 8:55 PM, Jumper_Dad said:

Started going to games in elementary school and have been a fan ever since!

Wife hated football until our son started playing then in his sophomore year, she became locked in also. She loved it so much that she wouldn't sit with the other mothers, because they weren't paying as much attention to the games as she was.

Hope that happens for my wife and I lol we got some time before our boy is that age though haha

• Like 1

Greg Menetrey (Campbell County) vs Shaun Alexander (Boone County)

As a middle school aged kid I attended many high school football games, but this one was special. There wasn't an empty seat in the house at Campbell County High School's football field. I stood and watched the game from the south end of football field, standing on the track that circles the field. I had little appreciation for the speed of the game until I watched these two powerhouse running backs duke it out on the gridiron. It was by far the best football game I had ever attended up until the LSU/UK football game in 2007.

My Dad played at Bowling Green 1926-29.  He Coached at Russellville 1938-43 and BGHS 1944-56 and was AD till 1976.  Brother played at BG 1958-62 and I was at BG 1965-68.  HS football is in my DNA.  Been going to one stadium or another since the mid-50's.  

• Like 1