How Did You Become......

Roundsteak

I grew up on Linden Avenue in Newport, Ky..

In our backyard was a high fence, overlooking Newport Stadium.

Every Friday night the neighbors would gather and watch the Newport High School Football games through the fence - the precursor to tailgating, only during the game.

Later, when we moved to Alexandria, despite the fact that I attended St. Mary grade school and Brossart H.S., I never missed a football game on Friday night at what would become "Bob Miller Stadium." Ironically, Bob Miller coached most of those games.

Now in my older years, I still enjoy climbing into the broadcast booth on Friday nights to call Brossart Football games. There is just something about the game that sticks with you, but by late in the season when the temperatures drop I'm ready for hoops season.

• Like 2

When I was in 8th grade, Shaun Alexander was a senior. My family was friends with the Herrons and they took me to my first Boone Co high school game. I believe it was the state championship Boone Co vs Trinity. Trinity won the game 21-10. Once a freshman although I should have played but I didn't I didnt miss a game as a fan! Home or away for Boone Co. I never missed! Once I graduated I probably went to 4 years after I graduated.

21-7...

I played in that game. One of the best games that I ever played.

Last pure gladiatorial arena to train boys to be men that exists on earth. Even when I played in college I preferred going to see my brother on Friday nights. I have yet to find greater enjoyment, as a man, than watching my son on Friday nights. Some may find that sad, but I doubt any that say that have experienced it themselves.

I found football to be interesting and intriguing as a young kid. I watched college and the NFL on television but couldn't play due to my age. I lived in an area where you could not play football until 7th grade. I was excited when I entered the sixth grade, because I knew I only one more year until I could play. That year, the school 7th and 8th grade team had lower numbers. I was a tall kid that was athletic, so the coach asked me and one other 6th grader if we wanted to play. I played, started and ended up playing until I graduated high school.

Dad was an AD at Simon Kenton so I grew up within those hallways. During that time we were bad, awful many seasons but Friday nights were always anticipated. I served as a ball boy for years, I'll never forget how upset Red Dog was when I tossed the game ball to a group on the hillside on the North end of Davis field. Little known fact I was the ball boy for the East/West all star game coached by Red Dog. The one and only Guru was on that squad.

I was actually an assistant coach on that team.

I remember wanting to play for first time in fifth grade and my mom not being too pleased about it. My dad was a long time youth basketball coach and not sure he was all in even though he had 2 brothers (Red Dog and Bob) that had very successful careers.

Remember going out to Lloyd and getting some hand me down equipment to play that first year. Been a big fan of the fame ever since. Went on to play for two state champion teams at Highlands and my son repeated the feat just a few years ago also at Highlands. I walked on at Kentucky and stuck it out for one year before moving into coaching for a few short years.

My son has continued his career at Lindsey Wilson College where a few weeks ago he became their all time leading scorer. As I type this, sitting in Orlando, Florida to attend his game tomorrow.

Not sure what the future holds, but the game of football has been very good to my family.

I remember wanting to play for first time in fifth grade and my mom not being too pleased about it. My dad was a long time youth basketball coach and not sure he was all in even though he had 2 brothers (Red Dog and Bob) that had very successful careers.

Remember going out to Lloyd and getting some hand me down equipment to play that first year. Been a big fan of the fame ever since. Went on to play for two state champion teams at Highlands and my son repeated the feat just a few years ago also at Highlands. I walked on at Kentucky and stuck it out for one year before moving into coaching for a few short years.

My son has continued his career at Lindsey Wilson College where a few weeks ago he became their all time leading scorer. As I type this, sitting in Orlando, Florida to attend his game tomorrow.

Not sure what the future holds, but the game of football has been very good to my family.

Congrats to your son! That’s awesome!

I moved from Burnside KY to Cincinnati in 1961 and enrolled in Schwab Middle School. Naturally a country boy like me stuck out like the proverbial sore thumb. Clem "The Bull" turner became a friend and showed me how to survive and he was a star on the football team. Clem was about 6-1 and 210 pounds as a freshman and was the star running back and punter. I started going to the games because I had classes with most of the football players. Clem became a high school star, starred at the University of Cincinnati and played four years with the Bengals. Clem was an exceptional talent but at times had disagreements with coaches. He also wrestled professionally in Indianapolis and Detroit.

I played sandlot football in Cincinnati but we moved back to Burnside and Burnside did not have a football team (should have transferred to Somerset). I played football in the military and have loved the game since the mid 50's. The first college football game I remember was when Johnny Majors was the star at Tennessee and the first pro game was the overtime classic Baltimore victory over New York.

Growing up in the Somerset area was memorable because on Friday night the town would shut down especially if the Briar Jumpers were playing Danville. Thanks for the memories.

Congratulations to your son!

I was a backyard football kid. Never really even knowing that there was an opportunity for me to play it in an organized manner. Well, in fifth grade, my mother signed me up to play at St. Margaret Mary, and the rest was history. Of course, I had to learn so much, like a 3 point stance, how to tackle, when to stay home on defense, the holes on offense, etc. Things you don't even really think about at this stage. I had a decent maturation that lead me to play at Trinity, and then at WKU. Football is a massive part of my life. I coached at Trinity for four years post college, and I thought that it would be my vocation for the rest of my life. Well, life happened, and it lead me to other things. I'll say this, this website has made me lifelong friends with numerous people that I would never ever have met. The common denominator is a love for HS football. Of course we all have other passions. But the one thing, that always calls me back (other than TheGuru), is my love for our fellowship and banter we have here.

That said, Go Rocks, Trinity Forever!

Nice to see you back!

• 2 years later...
8 minutes ago, Roundsteak said:

I thought I would revive this thread and see if there are any new stories since it’s 2 years old. 

Grew up watching Boone County in the 1980s as a kid.  Though I never played football, we went to all the home games and most of the away games.  Great run of football for the Rebels during that time then I went to BCHS in the 1990s and got to watch the Shaun Alexander era.  Lots of great memories!