5A State Championship: #1 Covington Catholic vs. #2 South Warren

DevilMayCare

Who wins the 5A State Championship?  

140 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the 5A State Championship?

At last, the game we've been waiting weeks for is finally upon us. It seems like most years you don't end up with the two best teams in the class playing for the title. Sometimes there's an upset, and sometimes the top two teams end up on the same half of the playoff bracket. But this year, we've been gifted an early Christmas present.

Covington Catholic (14-0) has been #1 all year, and is currently riding a state best 29 game winning streak. South Warren (14-0) began the season at #3, but ascended to #2 after conquering Bowling Green. Both teams know a thing or two about running clocks, each team having posted numerous mercy rule scores this season. This is the best possible matchup 5A could offer, and it has all the makings of a classic.

Who will claim the title of top dog in 5A and hoist the hardware at Kroger Field?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

South Oldham gave South Warren 2 and a half quarters before the Spartans gave themselves some breathing room. Coach Smith is an outstanding coach just like his father and there is no doubt in my mind that he will have his team ready for the seemingly unbeatable Colonels, and while I highly doubt a running clock happens, I think CovCath will just be too much. I'll take the Colonels in a 35-21 shootout.

I think a running clock is a 50/50 shot. Cov Cath would win the 6A state championship. South Warren is about to get something they haven’t had before.

Cov Cath 42

South Warren 12

I think a running clock is a 50/50 shot. Cov Cath would win the 6A state championship. South Warren is about to get something they haven’t had before.

Cov Cath 42

South Warren 12

South Warren did get to see them last year and got a taste of what's coming. I think this will be the best team Covcath has seen this year, at least in Ky.

However until someone can knock them off. Have to go with Covcath.

I am INCREDIBLY excited to go to this game. I have a feeling that this might be the most competitive state championship that Cov Cath has competed in since 1988. Go Colonels!!

I’d argue 94 was way more competitive than that game.

At last, the game we've been waiting weeks for is finally upon us. It seems like most years you don't end up with the two best teams in the class playing for the title. Sometimes there's an upset, and sometimes the top two teams end up on the same half of the playoff bracket. But this year, we've been gifted an early Christmas present.

Covington Catholic (14-0) has been #1 all year, and is currently riding a state best 29 game winning streak. South Warren (14-0) began the season at #3, but ascended to #2 after conquering Bowling Green. Both teams know a thing or two about running clocks, each team having posted numerous mercy rule scores this season. This is the best possible matchup 5A could offer, and it has all the makings of a classic.

Who will claim the title of top dog in 5A and hoist the hardware at Kroger Field?

Great summary, but when is the game?