Track The NL Central Champion Reds (Week 15)

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they keep losing 1-run games like that, and blowing late leads, they'll be out of it soon enough. But the fact they stay in it 'til the end keeps us hooked.

Scary thought. Tubby would be proud!

I have been saying for the longest time that 1 run games are usually decided by decisions that the manager makes or doesn't make. I didn't make this up. I attended a coaches clinic many years ago in Florida given by some of the top college coaches in the state at that time and they stressed this point. I firmly believe this and imo the "toothpick" just can't pull the trigger quick enough to make those decisions.

This, my friends, is a frustrating team.
That, my friend was the understatement of the year. :thumb:

Only good thing to say is that CoCo threw 30 pitches and may not be available tomorrow night.

:lol::thumb:

HAD the Reds held on, they would have been 2 GB the 1st place Pirates.
Exactly,this is the type game they have to win, could gain a game on the Cards as well as the Brewers. Once again the Reds snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. They even did it twice in the same game just to prove they could. lol

The Reds are done gang...the baseball gods are not smiling on them this year like they did last year.

13-20 in one run games.

This team is complacent. They continue to believe things are ok, and still resting on last year's laurels. They need a definite shakeup and I'm not sure what they can actually do.

Dusty continues to baffle me the lineups and he isn't rattling any cages.

Sending Stubbs on an 0-1 pitch in the 9th last night was comical.

Just really frustrating to watch.

I don't think that the Reds are done.

I certainly agree on the 1 run games, alot of those imo there was no excuse for.

I also agree that that they are complacent. I believe that toothpick needs to light a fire under them, peel the paint of the wall type of team meeting.

I think that changing a lineup as often as he does hurts, a team has to get into a certain "rythym" and get used to working together with basically the same lineup day in and day out. Constantly juggling the lineup imo shows lack of leadership, no confidence in your players and that eventually causes a player/players to lose confidence in the manager. jmo

I absolutely agree on Stubbs running in the 9th. I don't know if he was sent or went on his own but either way its just dumb.

Edited by oldrambler

I get sick of toothpick constantly juggling the lineup. A team/players can't get in any set lineup. Day in and day out of changing a lineup and a player can't get used to or know what his role is. A team has to get used to working with each other.

Pick a lineup and batting order and stick with it long enough to see how it will work.

I could see one of them making it a 5 game series, 6 with some key injuries and a corked bat maybe...

But it will be best-of-five because Philly will have the best record in the league and since the wild card will likely be the Braves and they can't play each other in the first round, that means it's sweep time for the central champ!

Dumb Dusty is just unreal. How can you just sit in the dougout and watch Cordero blow your season and have Chapman just sitting in the bullpen watching. Chapman just had a save in St. Louis and his confident is high and you don't even warm him up. He should have pitched to fielder. Last batter, Cordero threw two nice pitches on the outside corner and the came inside which Kotsay fouled off. Then we come down and in to a lefty again, their best pitch to hit, and we lose again. On Dusty's team, if your role is the closer you are the closer. Nobody else can do it. This team has problem's from top to bottom. Walt is a good GM, but I question him in thinking Dusty is a good manager.

The Reds keep me entertained. I see combacks by the other teams, lack of energy by the Reds, Inside the Park HR, Catcher getting ran over, announcers taking up for the players and the pitcher dropping the ball throwing to first. I would try to trade Cordero to Phillies and Gomes to the Red Sox. Trade Dusty for Rick Sweet. That would change some things up!!!!!

Dumb Dusty is just unreal. How can you just sit in the dougout and watch Cordero blow your season and have Chapman just sitting in the bullpen watching. Chapman just had a save in St. Louis and his confident is high and you don't even warm him up. He should have pitched to fielder. Last batter, Cordero threw two nice pitches on the outside corner and the came inside which Kotsay fouled off. Then we come down and in to a lefty again, their best pitch to hit, and we lose again. On Dusty's team, if your role is the closer you are the closer. Nobody else can do it. This team has problem's from top to bottom. Walt is a good GM, but I question him in thinking Dusty is a good manager.

I would say that is true of every team.

With Dusty it comes down to player loyalty, he will stick with a player to a fault. He could and probably should at times use someone other than who he does versus certain batters in certain situations but he seems to have a pattern. Imo he plays the numbers game to an extreme. He does it with matchups all the time in his lineups. Just because a guy has had success versus a certain pitcher doesn't mean he will have that same success today. If a guy is mired in a slump a majority of pitchers in this league could get him out because there is too much information available.

I was too disgusted to post my opinion on this team last night. The worst part of last night was bases loaded with no outs. Phillips and Bruce both come up and strike out. YOU CANNOT HAVE THAT HAPPEN! Luckily Rolen got them 2 runs after, but those are the innings you need to get 3 or 4 runs out of, not a lucky 2 scored off of an error. Could have stuck a fork in them right there but they blew it.