Track The NL Central Champion Reds (Week 15)

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright GT...I agree next week is the week!!!If the Reds play consistently like they did today they will win the NLC division.Right now that is a huge IF...
It wasn't like they were facing one of the Indians' better pitchers ... Talbot has been less than impressive.

It wasn't like they were facing one of the Indians' better pitchers ... Talbot has been less than impressive.

You guys are way too optimistic about this team. What makes you think that this Reds team is capable of being anything close to consistent? They are a .500 team period and probably very lucky to be that and still within smelling distance of 1st place.

If the Reds fall short in a very mediocre Central this season you can point to their weak display against the AL in interleague play as the reason. Their 6-12 record was the 2nd worse interleague record in baseball.

Without looking, I would guess the Reds had one of the toughest, if not the toughest, schedules in interleague play. They played the division leading Yankees and Indians (6 games). Toronto is right at .500 in the toughest division in baseball. The only weak team is Baltimore and they too are playing in the toughest division in baseball so they are probably better than their record indicates. Tough schedule for the Reds. If they could have made it through that schedule at 9-9, I would have been happy.

Without looking, I would guess the Reds had one of the toughest, if not the toughest, schedules in interleague play. They played the division leading Yankees and Indians (6 games). Toronto is right at .500 in the toughest division in baseball. The only weak team is Baltimore and they too are playing in the toughest division in baseball so they are probably better than their record indicates. Tough schedule for the Reds. If they could have made it through that schedule at 9-9, I would have been happy.

A team that is a defending division champion and that expects to contend this season should have been able to do better than 6-12. And while their schedule was tough, they caught a break by getting the Orioles and Blue Jays instead of the Red Sox. Also, while Cleveland is leading their division they are only 2 above .500 against the rest of baseball but 4 games above .500 against the Reds. I think their performance really shows how far the Reds are from being contenders for anything more than division champion in a very weak NL Central.

A team that is a defending division champion and that expects to contend this season should have been able to do better than 6-12. And while their schedule was tough, they caught a break by getting the Orioles and Blue Jays instead of the Red Sox. Also, while Cleveland is leading their division they are only 2 above .500 against the rest of baseball but 4 games above .500 against the Reds. I think their performance really shows how far the Reds are from being contenders for anything more than division champion in a very weak NL Central.

Luckily they play in the Central. As frustrating as this team has been if Masset didn't have a terrible second week of the season and they didn't blow a huge 8th inning lead against the Dodgers they'd be in first. No matter whats happened to this point this week is huge.

I realize that this week is just leading to the halfway point but this week is Huge, lay an egg this week against teams that are already ahead of you and you are in a very deep hole.

This Reds team has so far been a dissapointment considering what they did last season. They are losing games that they won last year. Maybe we (or certainly I) expected them to be amoung the leagues best after last sason's division winners. Reds fans want to a return to a yearly contender/champion so bad that maybe too much was expected. After all, last season was just the first time winning a division or returning to the playoffs after a very long drought.

I, amoung others certainly remember the Big Red Machine years along with other excllent baseball from the Reds. I do believe they are on the way but .......Sparky Anderson,Bench, Rose, Morgan,Perez,Concepcion,Foster,Geronimo amoung others are not walking through that door :D. There will never be another team in Cincy or anywhere for that matter like that.jmo

The Reds certainly have alot time left this season and I certainly am not giving up on the season yet.

No series in early July is do-or-die ... remember what the Cardinals did to Cincinnati in August last year and their subsequent collapse.

They're not do or die, but this can be a week they die. It's really hard to pass 3 teams. If they fall back more than 5 games and they're in 4th after this week it will take a great post all star break run just to be in a race.

Reds offense has scored 23 runs in last 9 games at GABP:

1, 2 , 10 ,2 ,3 ,2 ,0 ,2 , 1

Nothing to see here move along...

That was before yesterday's 7 spot against their number 5 starter.