What's the most difficult Position to play in football?

kyvince

I don't care how good your line is the QB is still going to take some nasty hits. I think the difference is that any other position can deliver a blow, if they see a hit coming they can create the impact, or at least brace for it. No chance with a QB, their options are to scramble, complete the pass and get drilled (often preferred by team), or tuck it and try not to fumble.

"if they see a hit coming" - who has a better view of the field to see a hit coming than the QB?

I rated QB as tough as Oline. They are totally interdependent. If the OLine doesn't do its job, the QB is running for his life. If the QB makes bad decisions, bad passes, etc, nothing the OLine can do will make a difference. Yes, the team is usually most dependent on the quarterback. (A great running back can change that.) But, the question is "What's the most difficult position to play in football?" Of course, they're all difficult. If we change the question to what position is most under-appreciated by fans? OLine wins hands down.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"if they see a hit coming" - who has a better view of the field to see a hit coming than the QB?

I rated QB as tough as Oline. They are totally interdependent. If the OLine doesn't do its job, the QB is running for his life. If the QB makes bad decisions, bad passes, etc, nothing the OLine can do will make a difference. Yes, the team is usually most dependent on the quarterback. (A great running back can change that.) But, the question is "What's the most difficult position to play in football?" Of course, they're all difficult. If we change the question to what position is most under-appreciated by fans? OLine wins hands down.

Are you serious on the bolded? When a QB drops back to pass their eyes are downfield. QBs have to sense pressure, they cannot take their eyes away from downfield. Any position on the field sees the hit coming more than a QB does. I guess it could look like they should be able to see every hit as they have taken a deep drop, but a good QB is not going to take their eyes off the defense and their receivers down field.

I live with a wide receiver, cornerback, and quarterback. At the college level quarterback has to be the hardest position to play in football. All the checks and calls that a center makes is after the qb calls the play, checks the front, checks the secondary. Then he has to decide if he wants to change the play or keep it. At the snap he has to stand in the pocket and tell which coverage the secondary is in then knowing the route the wide receiver would run in each secondary. The amount of film and planning that goes into it is so much they must be the most prepared player on the field if your team wants any success.

As to the bolded part, a good OLine makes your QB, running backs, and WR's look good.:thumb:

From a parent of an Olineman, to a parent of an Olineman, I have to agree completely.

In my career I have played every position on the O and D lines, OLB, and TE. As far as technique goes, center is the hardest to learn, especially going against a nosegaurd. Snapping and stepping is VERY difficult to do without fumbling a snap. I'd have to say that left tackle is the most challenging mentally. You have to be ready for a bull rush, be ready to kick step, pick up a blitzing linebacker to the inside or outside, watch for safetys creeping up on the line, be ready for a loop, and you are responsible for making calls that the gaurd, fullback, and TE need to change the blocking scheme at the LOS. A good LT can realize the coverage that the D is playing and know when someone is going to come off the edge. That's why LTs get paid. I'd have to say that Dline is the easiest position I played. If you have a high motor and some moves and feet you can be a successful Dlineman in high school (look at Highlands Dlinemen, small but scrappy, disciplined and quick), but to play in college requires a lot of strength and quickness.