What's the most difficult Position to play in football?

kyvince

Going by how college coaches recruit: Left Offensive Tackle is the player they have the most difficulty finding.

As for the question, I say both mentally and physically - the center. Mental aspects: call blocking assignments, must make consistent and predicable snaps in the face of knowing they are going to be hit at a disadvantage. Which brings the physical aspects: must begin every block with only one hand, receiving more hits then delivering them.

But, I think virtually every position has it's own level of difficulty and all of them are difficult in their own right. That is one of the great things about football, it's not like other sports. Basketball, if you have a great player they can play any position. In baseball, if you have a great player, he can basically play any position. But, if you have a great RB in football he would probably be an awful OL, and if you have a great WR, he would probably not be the best QB. It truly takes a team of players to play all the positions.

The left OT is responsible for protecting the right handed QB's blind side. The reason that good O tackles are hard to find is that they need size , good footwork and speed to block DE's , and blitzing OLB's who usually have both size and speed. Every once in a while you will see a corner back blitzing that the O tackle has to pick up.

The most difficult position is a question that is very hard to answere . I don't know what position is the most difficult , but I would say that all positions are equally important. A chain is only as strong as the weakest link. I think Ram has sumed it up nicely.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How physical does the QB have to be as opposed to a lineman? I have watched the QB in practice and watched the Lineman in practice , and can say that day in and day out Oline is getting pounded and the QB is just throwing passes.:D

Also, can't remember the last time I saw a QB from Highlands pull a truck with Coach Turner and Swope in it across Death Valley. Or a running back or receiver for that matter.

The hits a QB takes makes up for alot of that in game situations. Plenty of positions are more physical in practice though I do agree. Every other position on the field is prepared and ready to hit, and can become the aggressor in a contact situation. A QB getting hit from his blind-side doesn't even have the chance to get in a protective position.

How physical does the QB have to be as opposed to a lineman? I have watched the QB in practice and watched the Lineman in practice , and can say that day in and day out Oline is getting pounded and the QB is just throwing passes.:D

Also, can't remember the last time I saw a QB from Highlands pull a truck with Coach Turner and Swope in it across Death Valley. Or a running back or receiver for that matter.

When was the last time an Olineman been blindsided? I think the QB position has more dimesions to it. However, I do agree the Olineman have harder work in practice.

Also, I believe that a lot of the oline decisions are made in practice whereas, the QB has the ability to completly change the play and to check down.

Going by how college coaches recruit: Left Offensive Tackle is the player they have the most difficulty finding.

As for the question, I say both mentally and physically - the center. Mental aspects: call blocking assignments, must make consistent and predicable snaps in the face of knowing they are going to be hit at a disadvantage. Which brings the physical aspects: must begin every block with only one hand, receiving more hits then delivering them.

But, I think virtually every position has it's own level of difficulty and all of them are difficult in their own right. That is one of the great things about football, it's not like other sports. Basketball, if you have a great player they can play any position. In baseball, if you have a great player, he can basically play any position. But, if you have a great RB in football he would probably be an awful OL, and if you have a great WR, he would probably not be the best QB. It truly takes a team of players to play all the positions.

I'll go with this assessment with QBs being even with OLine.

I played running back, wide receiver, free safety and special teams in high school. I always thought running back was pretty difficult because I basically got hammered, squashed, pinched, bit, kicked, hair pulled and God only knows what else on basically every play.

Wide receiver wasn't bad but I only played there a few games. Free safety was probably easiest and most fun (hard hits). Kickoff returns were pretty tough because the defenders had a head start before they hammered me. I think punt returner was most difficult though because you have decisions to make in a matter of seconds and you're wide open to a kill shot.

When was the last time an Olineman been blindsided?

I've seen plenty of cheap shots on O-linemen during games. One ended up in a broken leg. Another when the lineman was jogging down the field out of the play and a D-lineman literally knocked him for a flip (that one got flagged). Remember the guy Warren Sapp hit?

Getting hit, taking hits doesn't necessarily make a position hard to play. O-line takes discipline, tremendous technique and strength. Pass blocking is much more difficult than it looks.

Every position is tough. No doubt. I think running backs come closest to being "born, not made." My senior year, one of my classmates decided to play football and ended up being the starting halfback. He also ended up being 1st string all-state in Tennessee. Almost no experience, had played freshman ball, that's all. He was naturally fast, strong and could cut on a dime. Yes, he worked in practice, but he was the best player on the team the moment he stepped on the field just because he had the natural ability. This seems more common in running backs than any other position.

I played running back, wide receiver, free safety and special teams in high school. I always thought running back was pretty difficult because I basically got hammered, squashed, pinched, bit, kicked, hair pulled and God only knows what else on basically every play.

Wide receiver wasn't bad but I only played there a few games. Free safety was probably easiest and most fun (hard hits). Kickoff returns were pretty tough because the defenders had a head start before they hammered me. I think punt returner was most difficult though because you have decisions to make in a matter of seconds and you're wide open to a kill shot.

:thumb: You can get absolutely destroyed returning punts!

I've seen plenty of cheap shots on O-linemen during games. One ended up in a broken leg. Another when the lineman was jogging down the field out of the play and a D-lineman literally knocked him for a flip (that one got flagged). Remember the guy Warren Sapp hit?

Getting hit, taking hits doesn't necessarily make a position hard to play. O-line takes discipline, tremendous technique and strength. Pass blocking is much more difficult than it looks.

Every position is tough. No doubt. I think running backs come closest to being "born, not made." My senior year, one of my classmates decided to play football and ended up being the starting halfback. He also ended up being 1st string all-state in Tennessee. Almost no experience, had played freshman ball, that's all. He was naturally fast, strong and could cut on a dime. Yes, he worked in practice, but he was the best player on the team the moment he stepped on the field just because he had the natural ability. This seems more common in running backs than any other position.

My point was a QB takes many more blindside hits. Every position can get a cheap shot, that's nothing new. But if there is a blind side hit on an Olinemen it is usually illegal.

I agree hits are nothing the only thing that make a position difficult to play, but it definately needs to be factored into the equation. I also agree that oline takes discipline, technique, and strength but again, every position does (for some positions you can substitute strength for speed such as a db or wr).

I just think the lines are simpler than other positions. Block or dont get blocked. Being a linebacker you have to see if it is run or pass, then either go after the ball carrier or go into coverage. I just think other positions would be more difficult. Again, that is my opinion.

My point was a QB takes many more blindside hits. Every position can get a cheap shot, that's nothing new. But if there is a blind side hit on an Olinemen it is usually illegal.

I agree hits are nothing the only thing that make a position difficult to play, but it definately needs to be factored into the equation. I also agree that oline takes discipline, technique, and strength but again, every position does (for some positions you can substitute strength for speed such as a db or wr).

I just think the lines are simpler than other positions. Block or dont get blocked. Being a linebacker you have to see if it is run or pass, then either go after the ball carrier or go into coverage. I just think other positions would be more difficult. Again, that is my opinion.

Spoken like a true NON lineman.:lol::lol:

Spoken like a true NON lineman.:lol::lol:

:thumb:

The first person Paul Brown drafted for the Bengals was Bob Johnson, center. Tells you something about how he rated the importance of positions.

Mason County had a solid offensive line the past 3 years or more. Not many blindside hits. Linemen (offensive and defensive) get hit nearly every play by at least one of the biggest, strongest guys on the field. Running backs take more shots than anybody and don't see many of them coming.

As a linebacker, reading run or pass isn't always tough. Some teams don't throw much. Years back, Mason County played a team in the playoffs that had ONE completed pass coming into the game. Those linebackers didn't think about pass much.

O-linemen play a chess game. Who am I supposed to block? Which side will he try to beat me on? Will the stunt and I need to pick up someone else? Is that linebacker going to blitz? Better listen, the QB might change the play. Can't move, or I get a penalty. Gotta make that first step just right. Etc, etc.

On college and pro teams, overall the most intelligent players are O-linemen. There's a reason for that. Here's a link to NFL scores on the Wonderlic by position. Offensive tackles highest, center next, then QBs followed by offensive guards.

http://benfry.com/writing/archives/147

QB most definitey is the most difficult. You have to be mentally and physically strong as well as smart. Even though the Center starts the play, the QB makes the play happen and takes punishing hits after releasing the ball on passes or running the ball. He has to be a leader who keeps all 10 other offensive players in tune and on the same page.

On defense I think it would be CB. Your out there on an island and you have to defend a guy running full speed at you. You have to have swivel hips and great instincts as well as toughness. You have to come up and defend the run in the open field which are the toughest tackles to make.

JMO obviously.

:thumb:

The first person Paul Brown drafted for the Bengals was Bob Johnson, center. Tells you something about how he rated the importance of positions.

Mason County had a solid offensive line the past 3 years or more. Not many blindside hits. Linemen (offensive and defensive) get hit nearly every play by at least one of the biggest, strongest guys on the field. Running backs take more shots than anybody and don't see many of them coming.

As a linebacker, reading run or pass isn't always tough. Some teams don't throw much. Years back, Mason County played a team in the playoffs that had ONE completed pass coming into the game. Those linebackers didn't think about pass much.

O-linemen play a chess game. Who am I supposed to block? Which side will he try to beat me on? Will the stunt and I need to pick up someone else? Is that linebacker going to blitz? Better listen, the QB might change the play. Can't move, or I get a penalty. Gotta make that first step just right. Etc, etc.

On college and pro teams, overall the most intelligent players are O-linemen. There's a reason for that. Here's a link to NFL scores on the Wonderlic by position. Offensive tackles highest, center next, then QBs followed by offensive guards.

http://benfry.com/writing/archives/147

I don't care how good your line is the QB is still going to take some nasty hits. I think the difference is that any other position can deliver a blow, if they see a hit coming they can create the impact, or at least brace for it. No chance with a QB, their options are to scramble, complete the pass and get drilled (often preferred by team), or tuck it and try not to fumble.

Not saying OL or any other position isn't hard or harder than playing QB, but the QB has so much responsiblity. They have to know what everyone is doing on offense, and have to be able to read what every one is doing on defense. For more advanced offenses and QBs they have to change protection schemes, call hot routes, change the play etc. On pass plays they have to read the coverage, feel the pressure in the pocket and move to escape it, throw to the correct receiver and then often get their head taken off. Unless the QB is scrambling and picks up a head of steam or on a QB running play they are really bringing a knife to a gun fight in terms of hits on the football field. No one other than a kicker can say that. JMO

On defense I think it would be CB. Your out there on an island and you have to defend a guy running full speed at you. You have to have swivel hips and great instincts as well as toughness. You have to come up and defend the run in the open field which are the toughest tackles to make.

JMO obviously.

CB is definitely tough. You can be the hero, but more often if something is said about you its because you got beat on a TD. I id not get to play much defense in HS after my sophomore year, but I preferred CB over Safety any day. It was so much pressure in man coverage because it is just you and the WR. I always had alot more trouble at S because I would watch too much stuff going on and wouldn't be in position to make a big play. CB is tough but I loved it :thumb:.