What's the most difficult Position to play in football?

kyvince

I think there are two distinct ways to measure the most difficult position.

One is physically ie. the other is mentally.

Physically I think it is a toss up between LB's and RB's. Both require exceptional athletes who have violent collision play after play.

Mentally: I think QB is the most demanding.

However, I think playing defensive back, specifically Corner back requires significant mental toughness. When you make a mistake everyone knows it. You have to have a very short memory and be able to recover from bad plays before you can even catch your breath.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every position on the field is tough. I'll go with QB on both physical and mental accounts though. Plenty of positions get hit more often, but often times a QB either doesn't see a hit coming or cannot brace for it. You get beat to death at QB in half the hits of any other position.

Going by how college coaches recruit: Left Offensive Tackle is the player they have the most difficulty finding.

As for the question, I say both mentally and physically - the center. Mental aspects: call blocking assignments, must make consistent and predicable snaps in the face of knowing they are going to be hit at a disadvantage. Which brings the physical aspects: must begin every block with only one hand, receiving more hits then delivering them.

But, I think virtually every position has it's own level of difficulty and all of them are difficult in their own right. That is one of the great things about football, it's not like other sports. Basketball, if you have a great player they can play any position. In baseball, if you have a great player, he can basically play any position. But, if you have a great RB in football he would probably be an awful OL, and if you have a great WR, he would probably not be the best QB. It truly takes a team of players to play all the positions.

I would stick with the herd on this one and go with offensive center.. From the jump snapping the ball is an art form and being able to be consistent in both under center and gun exchanges is quite difficult. Include the line calls and etc and you have the makings of a tough position. Out on a limb here and say that OLB is a tough position to play simply from a read and react mentality... Run, Pass, Playaction alot to ingest VERY quickly...

Going by how college coaches recruit: Left Offensive Tackle is the player they have the most difficulty finding.

As for the question, I say both mentally and physically - the center. Mental aspects: call blocking assignments, must make consistent and predicable snaps in the face of knowing they are going to be hit at a disadvantage. Which brings the physical aspects: must begin every block with only one hand, receiving more hits then delivering them.

But, I think virtually every position has it's own level of difficulty and all of them are difficult in their own right. That is one of the great things about football, it's not like other sports. Basketball, if you have a great player they can play any position. In baseball, if you have a great player, he can basically play any position. But, if you have a great RB in football he would probably be an awful OL, and if you have a great WR, he would probably not be the best QB. It truly takes a team of players to play all the positions.

As to the bolded part, a good OLine makes your QB, running backs, and WR's look good.:thumb:

Qb hands down...

How physical does the QB have to be as opposed to a lineman? I have watched the QB in practice and watched the Lineman in practice , and can say that day in and day out Oline is getting pounded and the QB is just throwing passes.:D

Also, can't remember the last time I saw a QB from Highlands pull a truck with Coach Turner and Swope in it across Death Valley. Or a running back or receiver for that matter.