Track The NL Central Champion Reds (Week 13)

LRCW

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being that you're an age of the prospect guy for position players at age 23 Wood was in the majors for a majority of the year. I would guess he was a top 30 prospect at some point last year the age of 23. I'm not saying he'll be as good as Lee. I am willing to bet the Mets won't do better picking 35th or so in the draft. He's still young.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Wood isn't a position player ... age isn't quite as important when evaluating a pitcher.

For what it's worth, though:

Wood's numbers at High-A ... 21 starts, 93 innings, 6-6, 3.78 ERA, 88 hits, 48 BB, 95 SO

Lee's numbers at High-A ... 20 starts, 109 innings, 6-7, 2.79 ERA, 78 hits, 46 BB, 129 SO

Wood's numbers at Double-A ... 36 starts, 199 innings, 13-12, 3.58 ERA, 169 hits, 85 BB, 163 SO

Lee's numbers at Double-A ... 17 starts, 98 innings, 8-2, 3.02 ERA, 68 hits, 27 BB, 118 SO

Wood's numbers at Triple-A ... 24 starts, 148 innings, 9-8, 3.09 ERA, 40 BB, 131 SO

Lee's numbers at Triple-A ... 19 starts, 106 innings, 9-3, 3.47 ERA, 98 hits, 53 BB, 91 SO

Lee was clearly better at two of the three levels, particularly in the key areas to evaluate ... hits/innings, walks and strikeouts. Wood definitely had better numbers at Triple-A.

Personally, I think Wood has a bright future. At the same time, however, Lee wasn't necessarily the centerpiece of the Colon deal ... Phillips was considered a big-time prospect and Sizemore was a year or so removed from receiving a million-dollar bonus.

Making the point again ... Wood would probably be a piece useful to landing someone like Reyes, but it's going to take more than that, and mid-20s blocked prospects aren't going to cut it.

Edited by westsider

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Wood isn't a position player ... age isn't quite as important when evaluating a pitcher.

For what it's worth, though:

Wood's numbers at High-A ... 21 starts, 93 innings, 6-6, 3.78 ERA, 88 hits, 48 BB, 95 SO

Lee's numbers at High-A ... 20 starts, 109 innings, 6-7, 2.79 ERA, 78 hits, 46 BB, 129 SO

Wood's numbers at Double-A ... 36 starts, 199 innings, 13-12, 3.58 ERA, 169 hits, 85 BB, 163 SO

Lee's numbers at Double-A ... 17 starts, 98 innings, 8-2, 3.02 ERA, 68 hits, 27 BB, 118 SO

Wood's numbers at Triple-A ... 24 starts, 148 innings, 9-8, 3.09 ERA, 40 BB, 131 SO

Lee's numbers at Triple-A ... 19 starts, 106 innings, 9-3, 3.47 ERA, 98 hits, 53 BB, 91 SO

Lee was clearly better at two of the three levels, particularly in the key areas to evaluate ... hits/innings, walks and strikeouts. Wood definitely had better numbers at Triple-A.

Personally, I think Wood has a bright future. At the same time, however, Lee wasn't necessarily the centerpiece of the Colon deal ... Phillips was considered a big-time prospect and Sizemore was a year or so removed from receiving a million-dollar bonus.

Making the point again ... Wood would probably be a piece useful to landing someone like Reyes, but it's going to take more than that, and mid-20s blocked prospects aren't going to cut it.

I mentioned position players because I knew you would and I kind of agree with that. However Wood was younger at all of those levels right?

I mentioned position players because I knew you would and I kind of agree with that. However Wood was younger at all of those levels right?

Younger by about a year ... in terms of age, Wood reached the majors about six months before Lee, hardly a big difference.

Still, the age comparison doesn't necessarily mean that much with pitchers ... performance is more critical.