Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Track The NL Central Champion Reds (Week 13)

Featured Replies

Another divisional crown would be progress. If you don't look at it in that way, where does the progress stop? You don't see back to back divisional titles as progress? Yankees with the payroll over the moon haven't been any better in the post season of late.

 

They won the WS like 2-3 years ago. That's a bit better IMO.

 

It's not the type of progress that will allow them to increase payroll and keep guys like Votto, Phillips, Cueto, etc. around, no.

  • Replies 424
  • Views 31.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure success in the playoffs guarantees a huge jump in attendance. With every game on TV, plus the cost to go to a game, I don't think it would make a significant difference. IMO

I'm not sure success in the playoffs guarantees a huge jump in attendance. With every game on TV, plus the cost to go to a game, I don't think it would make a significant difference. IMO

 

Long term success is the only thing that will give them a significant increase.

Let me ask this: If the Reds win the division this season. Maybe even take the next step in the playoffs, do we really believe that they're gonna really LOOSEN up those purse strings? Would winning at that rate not be enough to keep the fans interested and coming to the stadium? Some of this sounds as if we're not making deals for FA we just aren't trying hard enough and some of us are just gonna say forget it.

 

IMO they aren't winning the division this year with what they have at SS and LF. They are wasting 1 of the 3 years they have with Votto. Guys like Votto aren't coming and going as easily as you make it sound. They need to go for it now and if it goes right over the next 3 years and attendance improves so will the payroll. I think they have to let Votto walk in 3 years, but they need to go down swinging with him in case they don't have anyone as good as him for the next 20 years.

Good article but he only looks at it from the Reds' side, and even then he almost argues against the deal from the Mets' side with his comments on the Reds' prospects. Let's look at it from the Mets' side:

 

Alonso - zero interest in him as the Mets already have a young 1B they like.

Cozart - Moderate interest but the article itself states that Cozart's offensive numbers are inflated.

Frazier - At best, a utility player at the MLB level.

Wood - Probably the most interesting player for the Mets. They can use the pitching help and he would be very solid in the Mets ballpark.

Catcher - Would Hanigan entice you to deal the current best SS in baseball?

 

So if I am the Mets looking at what the Reds have to offer, there isn't one player in that list that gets me excited about a deal. The only player I have more than moderate interest in is Wood.

 

Put yourself in the Mets' shoes and ask yourself, what do the Reds have that would make you WANT to make a deal?

 

Who can and will make a better offer to the Mets. Put yourself in the Mets shoes Wood, Cozart and another piece or 2 picks in the 35 rangod of the draft. They would take anything close to Wood's production out of any of the two picks they would use and throw away the 2nd pick if they knew they would get Wood's production.

 

By the way Ike Davis is hurt and looking at possible micro-fracture surgery on his knee.

Long term success is the only thing that will give them a significant increase.

 

Exactly.

I don't see the Reds trading Wood. I don't think they would want Lecure as their rotation fill in in case of an injury. And does that really help the Reds win a title this year ... trading away your only left handed starter? So, no, I don't see the Reds making that deal. I do think they would be open to trading Grandal since they have Mesoraco in front of him and Hanigan is still under control for a couple of more years. I doubt the Reds are open to trading Cozart either. Not with their current SS position and knowing there is zero chance they could keep Reyes after this year.

 

Chapman will be a left handed starter next year or the year after.

Chapman will be a left handed starter next year or the year after.

 

Chattanooga or Dayton? :D

Long term success is the only thing that will give them a significant increase.

 

Dollar Beer nights would go a long way:dancingpa

Who can and will make a better offer to the Mets. Put yourself in the Mets shoes Wood, Cozart and another piece or 2 picks in the 35 rangod of the draft. They would take anything close to Wood's production out of any of the two picks they would use and throw away the 2nd pick if they knew they would get Wood's production.By the way Ike Davis is hurt and looking at possible micro-fracture surgery on his knee.

 

A 5+ ERA and a WHIP of 1.500? Those are both worse than the league average...I think they could reasonably get that out of a first round pick. One thing to remember is a lot of players drop in the draft simply because of who represents them and how much they'll ask for to sign a deal. Lot's of times players that are more major league ready go a little further down in the first few rounds because it will cost more to sign them.

 

I think for the Mets to do a deal they will require someone like Stubbs, Bailey or Leake along with prospects.

Heisey 7 Phillips 4 Votto 3 Rolen 5 Bruce 9 Gomes DH Stubbs 8 Hernandez 2 Janish 6 Volquez

Heisey 7 Phillips 4 Votto 3 Rolen 5 Bruce 9 Gomes DH Stubbs 8 Hernandez 2 Janish 6 Volquez

 

I actually really like this lineup.

I actually really like this lineup.

Now they will probably score 1 run tonight. :D I can't stand Janish anywhere in the lineup.

Now they will probably score 1 run tonight. :D I can't stand Janish anywhere in the lineup.

 

Better him than Renteria...:lol:

A 5+ ERA and a WHIP of 1.500? Those are both worse than the league average...I think they could reasonably get that out of a first round pick. One thing to remember is a lot of players drop in the draft simply because of who represents them and how much they'll ask for to sign a deal. Lot's of times players that are more major league ready go a little further down in the first few rounds because it will cost more to sign them.

 

I think for the Mets to do a deal they will require someone like Stubbs, Bailey or Leake along with prospects.

 

The linked article said he had a 3.2 WAR in 196 innings. I'd bet anything they don't get that out of a pitcher they draft that late in their first 196 major league innings especially if they start. Sure they could, but it's still very hit and miss. Also I don't know if you've noticed or not, but the Wilpon's are dead broke. They're not looking to pay guy that fall in the draft a bunch when they can pay guys like Wood the league minimum.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.