June 23, 201115 yr What if it's Alonso, Wood, and Frazier? Not happening ... the Mets are going to want a prime prospect or two and an MLB-ready player.
June 23, 201115 yr Not happening ... the Mets are going to want a prime prospect or two and an MLB-ready player. Wood is MLB ready, and Alonso is a top-tier prospect. I'm not saying the Mets would do it, I'm asking if that would be giving up something VOR couldn't part with.
June 23, 201115 yr Not happening ... the Mets are going to want a prime prospect or two and an MLB-ready player. Add in Janish? :clap: I know, I know ... you said MLB ready. But they will need a SS, right?
June 23, 201115 yr About the time the next crop of can't miss prospects hit the bigs (Cozart, Todd Frazier, Chris Valaika) the current stars (Votto, Volquez, Cueto) should be about ready to split. I am not saying that year in year out making such a move would be a sound strategy, but can't we make a bold move every decade or so? Cozart turns 26 in August, and Valakia is hitting .230 and right about the same age. Frazier is 25. These guys aren't can't-miss prospects, and no other team is going to see them that way.
June 23, 201115 yr Add in Janish? :clap: I know, I know ... you said MLB ready. But they will need a SS, right? Cozart might qualify for that ...
June 23, 201115 yr Not happening ... the Mets are going to want a prime prospect or two and an MLB-ready player. Reyes not being willing to negotiate an extension hurt the Mets trade value. I think they would take Wood and Cozart with another prospect.
June 23, 201115 yr And the bold is worth what? First round picks in baseball are about like 4th round picks in the NFL. The Reds have a business model that has turned them into the contender they are - build from within. You are throwing that business model out the window. If they could get Reyes for two prospects that they feel will never be significant contributors in Cincinnati, then I could do it if it will bring a World Series ring. Alonso could be one prospect along those lines. Cozart and Mesoraco definitely are not and they go nowhere esle if I run the team. Who could you pair with Alonso and get Reyes? Your point is why the Mets would make the deal and why the Reds should. The Reds are crazy to waste any of the 3 seasons they have Votto and Cueto for that matter. I'd go for it big time with Reyes. He answers their biggest need and improves their leadoff spot and makes the 5 or 6 spot a lot better. No other player could help any other contender as much.
June 23, 201115 yr Reyes not being willing to negotiate an extension hurt the Mets trade value. I think they would take Wood and Cozart with another prospect. Which prospect? What is to keep another team offer a younger, more talented package?
June 23, 201115 yr Which prospect? What is to keep another team offer a younger, more talented package? Not sure to either question, but I'd be shocked if they didn't like Wood and Cozart as a starting point. I'm not saying they're the only team that has the prospects. I am saying they should look into it very hard.
June 24, 201115 yr Cozart turns 26 in August, and Valakia is hitting .230 and right about the same age. Frazier is 25. These guys aren't can't-miss prospects, and no other team is going to see them that way. That is the point I was trying to make. The earlier post asked whether anyone would be willing to give up Cozart to rent Reyes for the remainder of the 2011 season.
June 24, 201115 yr Not sure to either question, but I'd be shocked if they didn't like Wood and Cozart as a starting point. I'm not saying they're the only team that has the prospects. I am saying they should look into it very hard. I would be shocked if Wood and Cozart did interest the Mets ...
June 24, 201115 yr I would be shocked if Wood and Cozart did interest the Mets ... Would they really risk doing better than them with picks? I don't think those two alone would do it, but those two and a catching prospect probably would.
June 24, 201115 yr Would they really risk doing better than them with picks? I don't think those two alone would do it, but those two and a catching prospect probably would. Yeah, Mesoraco ... Wood would be a decent start, but honestly, I don't know that Cozart adds that much more to the package. It would take a much better-regarded prospect than him in addition to make the Mets consider it.
June 24, 201115 yr Yeah, Mesoraco ... Or Grandal and I'd do that if I were the Reds and I'd have Chapman pitch as a stater in Louisville the rest of the season if I got rid of Wood.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.