Highlands vs. Trinity State Championships

Mr. Reality

With what I said before in mind, Cincinnati is not as tough as it has been in the past few seasons. I would say that Highlands and Trinity could definitely beat many out of Cincinnati, but further up north is where my questioning would come in to play.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SO what you're saying is, we are more impressive because we play bigger schools than us. But that discredits how good you think your team is, if you're the cat's meow, play all the way up.

That would be nice if Highlands was allowed to play all the way up. It's cool to have schools about half your size in the same class. Whereas Highlands plays a bunch of larger schools. Even when there was 4 classes, Highlands was one of the smallest 3a schools. There is a reason that schools are split into classifications by enrollment, because there is an advantage to take from a larger pool of boys.

That would be nice if Highlands was allowed to play all the way up. It's cool to have schools about half your size in the same class. Whereas Highlands plays a bunch of larger schools. Even when there was 4 classes, Highlands was one of the smallest 3a schools. There is a reason that schools are split into classifications by enrollment, because there is an advantage to take from a larger pool of boys.

I thought they just worked harder? :confused:

LOL, I love how some always automatically think that when someone asked questions like this that people jump all over them for trying to "discredit" the teams mentioned, in this case Highlands and Trinity, give it a rest! Please!

For one, when Highlands plays Ohio teams they are mostly against division 1 Ohio teams, very good D1 teams, when in fact Highlands would only be a D3 school in Ohio. It says a lot that Highlands even plays the amount of Ohio D1 teams that they do! No one can say for sure how many titles Highlands would have won if they were placed in the correct classification in Ohio, but they would have won! How many? No one knows.

As a Beechwood follower, I know that until they played a very good D3 GCL North Kettering Alter a couple of years ago you have to go all the way back to 1982 until you find another Beechwood lost to an Ohio team, and Beechwood used to play a lot of Ohio teams. Both games Vs Alter were good and close games for Beechwood, If I remember correctly Alter won a few games in the Ohio playoffs those years as well.

In the past 9 years Alter's record is: 103-18, not counting the 2010 season, it says a lot that Beechwood played them so well! So if Beechwood was in their correct classification in Ohio, which would be about D-5, they would have been a threat to win in that division, how many? No one will ever know.

I wish Beechwood would pick up some more Ohio teams again, and glad to see teams such as Highlands not only play Ohio teams, but play up a few divisions.

But as I stated, Highlands would have won titles in their correct classification, how many we will never know. Good teams emulate other good teams, so why can't teams in one state try to emulate and compare themselves to a very good neighboring state?

Edited by SportsGuy41017

I don't think the Highlands' fans are saying they are better than Trinity. In fact, most of them believe Trinity is better than HHS just about every year. I believe their only contention is that their state titles are more "impressive" because they have an enrollment disadvantage on just about every school in their class. Akin to a 152 pound wrestler winning the 171 pound title; it doesn't mean he can beat the heavyweight title holder, only that he beat people bigger than him.

In fairness to Trinity, Trinity won many, many state titles before its enrollment grew to current levels.

Glad to see some people make use of that fine Trinity education. :D

SO what you're saying is, we are more impressive because we play bigger schools than us. But that discredits how good you think your team is, if you're the cat's meow, play all the way up.

Yes, that's what I'm saying. Has nothing to do with how good we think our team is. We're talking how impressive we think our accomplishments are. Big difference to me.

Split Trinity into THREE schools and how do you think they would do in 6A? It's like HHS playing in 1A, of course we would have probably 40 titles. So how come T ONLY has 19? :cool:

I've said for several years that the way to ensure parity in the state's biggest class (4A before 2007 and 6A since then) would be to force both Trinity and St. Xavier to split into two schools. Then we would have all the parity we would ever want.

It's strictly a hypothetical proposal because it will never happen ... Trinity and St. Xavier don't want to give up the numbers advantage they enjoy on their competitors.

Another point has been on my mind. Another hypothetical team. Take the 100 boys from HHS the 50 Boys from NCC. Let's see what size school is that? Maybe larger Class 4? THat team beats EVERYONE in Kentucky for # of hypothetical championships. THe HHS and NCC boys can all be found in about a 5 to 8 mile radius. BEST FOOTBALL IN N.KY.!!! actually Northern part of Campbell County !!!!!! GO BREDS GO BIRDS !

Another point has been on my mind. Another hypothetical team. Take the 100 boys from HHS the 50 Boys from NCC. Let's see what size school is that? Maybe larger Class 4? THat team beats EVERYONE in Kentucky for # of hypothetical championships. THe HHS and NCC boys can all be found in about a 5 to 8 mile radius. BEST FOOTBALL IN N.KY.!!! actually Northern part of Campbell County !!!!!! GO BREDS GO BIRDS !

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Can you imagine having Kelly, Hightchew, Cain and Geisler on the Birds offense this year? WOW !!!!!

I've said for several years that the way to ensure parity in the state's biggest class (4A before 2007 and 6A since then) would be to force both Trinity and St. Xavier to split into two schools. Then we would have all the parity we would ever want.

It's strictly a hypothetical proposal because it will never happen ... Trinity and St. Xavier don't want to give up the numbers advantage they enjoy on their competitors.

The KHSAA can't force any school, public or private, to split into two or thirty schools.

And Trinity & X won't split, not because of their numbers advantage on competitors, because realistically, 12-1500 students is not an unweildly number to work with.

You keep posting statements like the above, and we'll all think you believe that Trinity & X exist for the sole purpose of football dominance. Of course, there are other sports we don't dominate...but hey...who wants to look at the whole picture.

The KHSAA can't force any school, public or private, to split into two or thirty schools.

And Trinity & X won't split, not because of their numbers advantage on competitors, because realistically, 12-1500 students is not an unweildly number to work with.

You keep posting statements like the above, and we'll all think you believe that Trinity & X exist for the sole purpose of football dominance. Of course, there are other sports we don't dominate...but hey...who wants to look at the whole picture.

As far as other sports, football takes the most players to make a good team and that is why teams like Trinity and Highlands win state often. It's not like basketball where you may only need 1 awesome player to have a really good team. I would compare it to Kentucky basketball last year where the recruiting class comes in and takes a team to the next level. Football just takes a lot of players to do well and thats why enrollment is such an indicator of winning.

No disagreement there.

I'm not saying anything of the sort, but the same premise probably applies to several other sports, too.

Can you imagine having Kelly, Hightchew, Cain and Geisler on the Birds offense this year? WOW !!!!!

YES! I've imagined that line-up, but it is nice how the tradition at HHS and NCC continues to grow. GO NORTHERN CAMPBELL COUNY FOOTBALL!!! I do admire what Trinity achieves year in year out, but they have to admit numbers in football do matter. We have sweet 16 for basketball, all teams compete in baseball but Football in all states divide based on student population. THat understood, what is accomplished by the 150 boys at NCC and HHS 'trumpts' what Trinity accomplishes with 3 times the # of students per class.