Highlands vs. Trinity State Championships

Mr. Reality

Back to the thread topic...........I believe Highlands would have never won a championship in Ohio, maybe one at the most. I believe Trinity would be a dominant force especially in recent history so I will say ten.

I'll be the first one to say that Trinity has been the class of KY prep football in recent times, but I don't see how you can claim they'd have 10 titles if playing in Division I in Ohio. I may be wrong, but I think Elder has two, Cincy St. X has two and Colerain has one Ohio D-I football title all-time. Trinity's program is probably on par with Elder's program right now (which is very impressive), so my guess would be that Trinity would have won about two titles in Ohio D-I.

As for Highlands, it would surely be a lot less than 19 playing in D-III in Ohio... I am not familiar with how good Ohio D-III football is, so it's hard for me to offer a guess.

Both Trinity and Highlands should be very proud of what they have accomplished!

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is awesome is when the "D-3" school beats the "BCS champ". With the advantage that the "BCS champ" has on the "d-3 school" it must be either quite embarrassing when the "BCS champ" loses, or quite impressive when the "d-3 school" wins. I mean a d-3 school should never ever beat a BCS champ... right?

RockPride, you must admit you walked right into that one, making the comparison with college ball. Rob is right... the D-III champ could never, ever, ever beat the BCS champ in college... surely you don't think that the Class 6A champ in KY is untouchable against smaller schools year in and year out.

Edited by jbwill2

I think I'm a bit confused.

I guess a lot more has to be considered than if you just plunked down those two schools somewhere in Ohio and said 'go play football'.

Realistically, if either were located in Ohio, there would be the enrollment limitations/lack thereof of the school district(s) where they would be located.

So, hypothetically, they could actually be better than what they are now, if say, they drew more talent to their schools due to the size of the population from which they had to draw, the schools were able to still offer a superior product as a whole, etc.

I understand the question in it's simplest form. I just get bogged down in the questions like, Where would you plunk down Highlands? or Trinity? Would they be in Cincinnati? Cleveland? Columbus? New Brehman? It makes a difference in the outcome.

Plunk them down in Cleveland, Columbus or Cincinnati, I think they have a good chance of being successful, if not more successful. Some of the players that go to the big powers in those areas would ostensibly wind up at either Highlands or Trinity. Plunk them down in a farming community or smaller metro area, most likely not so successful.

Those scenarios are reasons that feed into the success of those schools in Kentucky. Both are in large population areas with (naturally) a greater number of athletes from which to benefit if they choose either of those schools. It's why the most 6A schools are located in Louisville. It's why there are 3 traditional powers in Louisville at the 6A level. Kentucky has 120 counties. With a small state like Kentucky so chopped up into boundaries, then more boundaries within those counties, then add enrollment restrictions by district, then add the proclivity to create smaller schools when enrollments creep up, I simply don't understand why people don't understand why schools Trinity, St. X and Male are so successful without some sort of "advantage".

In Jefferson County, even though Trinity & X have the largest male enrollment by far, there's a lot of talent at other schools. Some like Male and Manual have great history and tradition that would attract football players. Ballard is creating that, as is Central. There are some great players, even better players than at Trinity & X in many cases, that are sprinkled throughout the JCPS schools....see Seneca, Eastern, Western.....

I think everyone wants to assume there's an easy answer, and make an easy comparison by posing a hypothetical "what if they were in Ohio" to try and gauge the real "worth" of successful schools. But when you do that, you have to continue the scenario out and that makes it impossible to answer.