Best KY HS Football Rivalries

mcpapa

Since my first hand experience only goes back to 2006 I had to look it up.

1999: 29-21 and 21-17 BC wins both - LC undefeated otherwise

2000: 16-14 and 18-16 Ditto

So your memory is just fine!

It's funny, I can remember something like that but can't remember important things like "what time to pick up my daughter." :lol:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another early 2000s rivalry of mention is LexCath and CovCath.

Between 2001 and 2006 CC and LC hooked up in the playoffs each year except 2003. 3 of 5 games decided by TD or less.

All games playoffs:

2001: 32-14 CC

2002: 29-27 LC

2003: DNP

2004: 37-21 CC

2005: 42-39 LC

2006: 56-49 CC

The rivalry renewed last year as part of the Bluegrass Bowl. In keeps going at the same event this year on August 28th at 8:30.

Trinity-Ballard. I think both schools genuinely like each other. :rolleyes:

This year should be a good one! :popcorn:

My college roommate went to Ballard and had a t-shirt that said "Friends Don't Let Friends Go To Trinity." I always hated that...

I always loved games between Trinity and Ballard. The football has certainly been lopsided of late but top-to-bottom this is a good one. My younger brother says to this day that he preferred beating Ballard to beating St. X. For what it's worth, I don't agree with him, but I can definitely understand the sentiment.

It's funny, I can remember something like that but can't remember important things like "what time to pick up my daughter." :lol:

I am the same way. My wife says I can't remember to wipe my rear end but I could tell you what happened in a game 6 years ago. In some of the games it could be the inning, outs and players. LOL, Maybe she is right..........

Bellevue vs. Dayton! The cities are divided by O’Fallon Ave. The cities are so small have a combined Fire Dept. The stadiums are less than a mile from each other. Many of the players are related to those on the other team. They played twice a year until recently. Truly one of the great rivalries.

Interesting how most rivals are geographic. I know playoffs are determined by class and district - but for a lot of teams the best games (fun, atmosphere, bragging rights, game attendance, etc) and the games that mean the most are between teams geographically close regardless of class, etc. So many teams won't get out of a district where a team is traditionally dominate so the rival games mean a lot.

Bowling Green-Warren Central is a very heated rivalry. For a lot of years Warren Central was a 4A school and Bowling Green was 3A. Due to realignment both are 5A schools now and the rivalry has playoff ramifications which intensifies the rivalry much like Boyle County-LexCath.

Maybe this is the wrong thread, but I know many people around here really miss the Garrard County/Harrodsburg rivalry. When Garrard County opened in 1964, the Lions and Pioneers played every season until Garrard moved to Class AA in 1997. They played once more in 2005 before Harrodsburg merged with Mercer County. The Pioneers won the all-time series 24-11. Many of those games, especially in the 1990s, were for the district championship.

Garrard's "new" rival is Lincoln County, I guess, but without playoff implications it really hasn't become much of a heated rivalry like those old Harrodsburg games.

Biggest in nky:

Ryle v Boone

Dayton v Bellevue

Beechwood v Newcath

Covcath v Highlands

Covcath v Dixie Heights

Newport v Newcath

LLoyd v Newport

Realistically, anytime two nky schools hook up together, there is some sort of rivalry because of so many schools being in the area. Everyone wants that "pride" and bragging rights.

Bowling Green-Warren Central is a very heated rivalry. For a lot of years Warren Central was a 4A school and Bowling Green was 3A. Due to realignment both are 5A schools now and the rivalry has playoff ramifications which intensifies the rivalry much like Boyle County-LexCath.

Maybe one day it can get back to what it was in the late 80's and early 90's. The meteoric rise of Bowling Green (and they were always good anyway) really damaged the give and take aspect of the rivalry. BG is 15-3 in the last 18 against Central, after it was 14-8 BG for the first 22 games. Much more a basketball rivalry right now.