Mike Fields KHSAA suggestions

AFR... no way most football programs make money. I would estimate less than 1/2 in Kentucky actually make a profit most years. Proof lies in the fact that many schoold don't fool with it because of costs not number of kids. As I mentioned in my last post, football costs an arm and leg to equip each kid. They do use equipment over some, but repairs are always needed. Plus, they only play about 5 or 6 home games period each year, and the weather can really effect profit. This is a basketball state, and even though the crowds may not be like they used to, people still come out and support hoops (especially at tourney time). The current playoff format with football is very costly for most schools too.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like sports classification in all sports, including basketball, with one twist - I still want one final state champion where it is feasible.

So let's use basketball. Go to two classes split down the middle by size. Playoffs end with a Sweet Sixteen - 8 teams from one class and 8 teams from the other. Each session has one game from each class. The Saturday morning session you will crown the Class A and AA champions. Saturday night those two champions face off for the overall championship.

I would like to see something similar down in all the sports where it is feasible.

I like sports classification in all sports, including basketball, with one twist - I still want one final state champion where it is feasible.

So let's use basketball. Go to two classes split down the middle by size. Playoffs end with a Sweet Sixteen - 8 teams from one class and 8 teams from the other. Each session has one game from each class. The Saturday morning session you will crown the Class A and AA champions. Saturday night those two champions face off for the overall championship.

I would like to see something similar down in all the sports where it is feasible.

Now that is The Voice of Reason ! I like that idea ! :thumb:

AFR... no way most football programs make money. I would estimate less than 1/2 in Kentucky actually make a profit most years. Proof lies in the fact that many schoold don't fool with it because of costs not number of kids. As I mentioned in my last post, football costs an arm and leg to equip each kid. They do use equipment over some, but repairs are always needed. Plus, they only play about 5 or 6 home games period each year, and the weather can really effect profit. This is a basketball state, and even though the crowds may not be like they used to, people still come out and support hoops (especially at tourney time). The current playoff format with football is very costly for most schools too.

I didn't say football programs make money - I said they bring in more at the gate than basketball per game - (i.e. attendance is higher at a football game than at most regular season basketball games.) Yes there are fewer games per year, but that also means fewer costs associated with having a game - not fewer costs with having a team. But as I said, I think the attendance is higher because they are always on Friday and there aren't so many games each week. I didn't discuss the costs of playoffs at all.

Again, I didn't say they make a profit (to answer your statement in the above quote) Gate receipts don't equate to profit.

I would quess that your statement about "most schools not fooling with football" is false, if there are about 200 schools playing football (6 classes with 37 teams per class). I calculate about 250 basketball teams (16 regions with 4 districts per region and about 4 teams per distict. This is strictly my calulations, I don't have an actual count)

Yes, it does costs more to equip a player and football teams have about triple the number of basketball players on a team. Yes it is a costly sport, but I hope you aren't suggesting we deprive the kids who want to play football the chance, because my post wasn't about eliminating any sport. If anything, football allows many more students an opportunity to participate than several other sports.

Classification of basketball should never, ever happen in Kentucky.

So, that adults can feel pride on an issue regardless of how it would benefit the actual children playing the sport.

That is honestly where this boils down to.

Adults once again feeding their ego at the expense of the children playing the sport.

As long as there are trophies and banners for the Class A and AA champions to hoist as STATE CHAMPIONS, I could live with this.

So, that adults can feel pride on an issue regardless of how it would benefit the actual children playing the sport.

That is honestly where this boils down to.

Adults once again feeding their ego at the expense of the children playing the sport.

What?

Its the greatest tourney in HS sports, leave it alone.

The Sweet Sixteen should be known for what it is "a very prestigious tournament" I have never considered the winner of the Sweet 16 to be the best team in the state - it is the team who survived the tournatment. Every team starts out in the tournament (no one is excluded), one bad game in a strong district or region and the No. 1 team in the state based on the season is out.

I suggest continue with the tournament because it is tradition and everyone enjoys it; but devise a method to determine the State Champ based on the season and recognize that team.

What would be the point of playing the tournament if you crown the state champ after they lose in the district?

Of course, you realize that a team can indeed lose in the district and still win state, right?

Thanks for catching that...I meant if they got knocked out in the district (I should have said eliminated). Man it has been a long week...

:jump:

IMO, the regular season is to prepare you for the post season. Could you imagine having this discussion about the NCAA tourney?

What?

Its the greatest tourney in HS sports, leave it alone.

It is the greatest tournament in high school sports. Arguably, in the entire country.

Ask some of the Indiana folks what they think of their new classification system in basketball. Every single Hoosier I have talked to wishes to get their state basketball tournament would go back to the Kentucky way.

It is the best. Leave a great thing alone.

The KHSAA needs to fix a few broken things.....not the "greatest show in hoops".

It is the greatest tournament in high school sports. Arguably, in the entire country.

Ask some of the Indiana folks what they think of their new classification system in basketball. Every single Hoosier I have talked to wishes to get their state basketball tournament would go back to the Kentucky way.

It is the best. Leave a great thing alone.

The KHSAA needs to fix a few broken things.....not the "greatest show in hoops".

Have you ever talked to any of the kids on a STATE CHAMPIONSHIP BASKETBALL team from the class system that have said, they didn't deserve to be state champs and wish they wouldn't have won it?

Or was it just the adults that you have talked to?