Mike Fields KHSAA suggestions

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are approximately 200 high schools in the state of Kentucky who have a varsity football team. There are six classes of football which means to win a state championship in Kentucky, a team must be the best of the about 35 teams in their class.

Comparatively, in other football states like Ohio, Florida, Texas, Georgia, etc. a football state champion must win from a class of over 100 teams.

As Mike Fields points out in his article in the Lexington Herald-Leader, having less classes in football is a must. He suggests four classes. I suggest three classes.

Neither of our suggestions will be used.

There are approximately 200 high schools in the state of Kentucky who have a varsity football team. There are six classes of football which means to win a state championship in Kentucky, a team must be the best of the about 35 teams in their class.

Comparatively, in other football states like Ohio, Florida, Texas, Georgia, etc. a football state champion must win from a class of over 100 teams.

As Mike Fields points out in his article in the Lexington Herald-Leader, having less classes in football is a must. He suggests four classes. I suggest three classes.

Neither of our suggestions will be used.

I think 5 is a good idea. I think that would improve some of the travel difficulties and atleast eliminate the 0-10 teams from making the playoffs.

There are 220 +/- football teams in Kentucky. If divided into five classes evenly, you would have 44 teams in each class. If you divide that into eight districts, you would have on average 5.5 teams in each district. If the KHSAA then required no districts smaller than five teams, you would guarantee that a team would have to win AT LEAST one district game in order to qualify for the playoffs.

Sorry for posting this in the boys basketball thread. Maybe my post should be moved to a new thread.

There are 220 +/- football teams in Kentucky. If divided into five classes evenly, you would have 44 teams in each class. If you divide that into eight districts, you would have on average 5.5 teams in each district. If the KHSAA then required no districts smaller than five teams, you would guarantee that a team would have to win AT LEAST one district game in order to qualify for the playoffs.

Sorry for posting this in the boys basketball thread. Maybe my post should be moved to a new thread.

44 teams in each class is still too small, in my opinion.

Still too watered down.

I agree with him on the Sweet 16, championship game needs played @ 4pm on Sundays and I have heard that some want a consolation game @ 2pm.

No high school coach would want to play in a consolation game. What would be the point. They will never move it to Sunday. The cost would be too high for the Fat Cats in the KHSAA to approve it. They all stay in the Hyatt and get all expenses paid for. What the KHSAA spends on itself during Sweet 16's should be an investigation. Most schools lose money going to state tournament. As soon as you lose the KHSAA stops paying for any expenses. As far as class sizes in Football. Need to decide if you want it contended based on equal enrollment or number of teams.

Also if you like this point from Fields:

2. Divide baseball, softball, soccer and volleyball into two or three classes. It's not fair that we award one state title in those sports while we crown multiple champions in football, cross country, and track and field.

Is basketball next? Is it fair for one state title?

I know this sounds crazy, but has anyone ever thought about switching the seasons of football and baseball? It is hard to play baseball in March, April and May in KY. They could play baseball in July, August, and September be done by October 15th. Then go into basketball on October 15th, start games on Thanksgiving weekend or earlier. You could end basketball the first week of March. Then go into football practice in March, play games in April and May. Playoffs in June. This could help against heat related sickness in July and August for football.

I hate the idea of a consolation game. Means one REALLY good team would end the year with two straight losses - one more than anyone else in the tourney.

Also, how motivated would the two teams playing in the game be?

No high school coach would want to play in a consolation game. What would be the point. They will never move it to Sunday. The cost would be too high for the Fat Cats in the KHSAA to approve it. They all stay in the Hyatt and get all expenses paid for. What the KHSAA spends on itself during Sweet 16's should be an investigation. Most schools lose money going to state tournament. As soon as you lose the KHSAA stops paying for any expenses. As far as class sizes in Football. Need to decide if you want it contended based on equal enrollment or number of teams.

Also if you like this point from Fields:

2. Divide baseball, softball, soccer and volleyball into two or three classes. It's not fair that we award one state title in those sports while we crown multiple champions in football, cross country, and track and field.

Is basketball next? Is it fair for one state title?

Let's hope not.

I agree with him on all three points. I especially like moving the Sweet 16 finals to Sunday afternoon.

The Radison and Hyatt already require most fans to get their room packages to include Saturday night. They could do the semis on Saturday afternoon instead of morning. The 10 a.m. start time is killer. Most teams might play 1 or 2 games a year that early, you hate to see the semis of the state tourament played while everyone is half asleep.

The Radison and Hyatt already require most fans to get their room packages to include Saturday night. They could do the semis on Saturday afternoon instead of morning. The 10 a.m. start time is killer. Most teams might play 1 or 2 games a year that early, you hate to see the semis of the state tourament played while everyone is half asleep.

I wouldnt have a problem with them moved to Saturday night. However,I like the semis being played on Sat. Morning. There is just a buzz in the arena. Those are some of the best games in the tournament year after year. You dont have great games like that if kids are half a sleep. Scott Co. and Ballards kids were wide awake and ready to roll.