Mike Fields KHSAA suggestions

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think start the state tourney on Tuesday afternoon which would put the semifinals and finals in the primetime glare of Friday and Saturday night! The Saturday morning semifinals is not fan friendly.

I like that idea the best. The opposition I assume would be having students out of class a day earlier.

I like that idea the best. The opposition I assume would be having students out of class a day earlier.

And the argument has also typically been another day in rent at Rupp (or Diddle, etc.). But moving the finals to Sunday would be another day in rent on the back end. The one improvement in playing Sunday instead of Tuesday is there would be less traffic downtown with very few people trying to park to get to work.

Very few football programs in Kentucky "fund" spring sports, most lose money. It's basketball that funds most spring sports. Less cost to field a team, more games played throughout the year, etc.

More games played throughout the year equates to more cost for travel, refs, utilities, etc and less attendance at games. There are so many basketball games, fans don't feel the urge to go to the games, attendance is low and most basketball programs do lose money. Football does usually take in more at the gate than basketball games on a nightly basis, and that probably does translate into football bringing in more money than basketball does. Even though football equipment is expensive, it is used more than one year.

I wonder if basketball attendance would increase if there were only one game a week - expenses would certainly be less.

More games played throughout the year equates to more cost for travel, refs, utilities, etc and less attendance at games. There are so many basketball games, fans don't feel the urge to go to the games, attendance is low and most basketball programs do lose money. Football does usually take in more at the gate than basketball games on a nightly basis, and that probably does translate into football bringing in more money than basketball does. Even though football equipment is expensive, it is used more than one year.

I wonder if basketball attendance would increase if there were only one game a week - expenses would certainly be less.

I think it depends on the program. I know when I was in high school we always had great attendance at home games. We put a good product on the floor and people came out and watched us play. I'd say all the good bball programs make a nice profit off basketball. I think it would be horrible idea to cut the number of games. Kids want to play and thats what its all about, them.

There are approximately 200 high schools in the state of Kentucky who have a varsity football team. There are six classes of football which means to win a state championship in Kentucky, a team must be the best of the about 35 teams in their class.

Comparatively, in other football states like Ohio, Florida, Texas, Georgia, etc. a football state champion must win from a class of over 100 teams.

As Mike Fields points out in his article in the Lexington Herald-Leader, having less classes in football is a must. He suggests four classes. I suggest three classes.

Neither of our suggestions will be used.

I really like the idea of three classes. You would be competing with roughly 70 schools in each class for a state title. You'd see some great playoff games at every level, making a run to the state semi's would actually become a signifcant achievement again.

It won't happen, but it should. It would return the football playoffs to the specticule it was with three and four classes years ago.

I think it depends on the program. I know when I was in high school we always had great attendance at home games. We put a good product on the floor and people came out and watched us play. I'd say all the good bball programs make a nice profit off basketball. I think it would be horrible idea to cut the number of games. Kids want to play and thats what its all about, them.

"when I was in school" the same was true, but this is now, not then. There are really two arguments here.

1. If it is only about letting kids play, then schedule the games, let them play and don't worry about who comes to watch.

2. But somehow it always gets back to "why is attendance so low at games". It is low because all the "fans" now have their own activities and when there are so many games scheduled, there is no sense of urgencey to see the games and the fans are not going to all show up at the same game - i.e. low attendance, high expenses

No high school coach would want to play in a consolation game. What would be the point. They will never move it to Sunday. The cost would be too high for the Fat Cats in the KHSAA to approve it. They all stay in the Hyatt and get all expenses paid for. What the KHSAA spends on itself during Sweet 16's should be an investigation. Most schools lose money going to state tournament. As soon as you lose the KHSAA stops paying for any expenses. As far as class sizes in Football. Need to decide if you want it contended based on equal enrollment or number of teams.

Also if you like this point from Fields:

2. Divide baseball, softball, soccer and volleyball into two or three classes. It's not fair that we award one state title in those sports while we crown multiple champions in football, cross country, and track and field.

Is basketball next? Is it fair for one state title?[/QUOTE]

The Sweet Sixteen should be known for what it is "a very prestigious tournament" I have never considered the winner of the Sweet 16 to be the best team in the state - it is the team who survived the tournatment. Every team starts out in the tournament (no one is excluded), one bad game in a strong district or region and the No. 1 team in the state based on the season is out.

I suggest continue with the tournament because it is tradition and everyone enjoys it; but devise a method to determine the State Champ based on the season and recognize that team.

I don't why everyone gets so upset about 0-10 teams in the football playoffs, when basketball teams with losing seasons start out in the district tournament. Instead of making football like basketball where everyone gets to play in the post season, lets make basketball (and the other sports) like football used to be - you had to earn the right to play in the post season.

I would like to see basketball split into two classes. You could still have the Sweet Sixteen but it would be the top 8 from each class playing at Rupp. Just think there would be 2 regional champs and each regional champ would play another regional champ just to get to go to Rupp. The 9th region champs could play the 10th region champs and alternate it between the BOK Center and Mason County. There would be two games to see, class A and AA, playing for the right to go to Rupp Arena look at how big of a draw that would be and additional revenue it would bring in.

Then at Rupp you start a day earlier and have 2 state title games on Saturday and clear the arena between the games or charge more for a double session ticket. I think that having to title games on the same night would generate more revenue becuase you would also have a semi-final night on Friday that will be huge a big draw for fans.