Mike Fields KHSAA suggestions

AFR, suggesting we deprive the kids who want to play football the chance? Where did I ever say anything remotely close to that? My original post was only to dispute your belief that football programs carry the costs of spring sports in the majority of high schools throughout Kentucky. I beleive for most schools basketball is the one that pays for spring sports. Plus, your estimation of basktball teams in Kentucky vs. football is way off. There are 265 school in Kentucky that field a basketball team, while only 220 field a football team, which is quite a bit of difference (45 high schools). Since Class A football has the highest number of teams of all the classifications, perhaps it proves my point that numbers are not why schools choose to not have football. It plays a part for some I'm sure, but the expense of football is the main issue. Last thing, how does gate receipts not equal profit? Without payed behinds in the seats no one can make any profit.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the difference.

From a players perspective, it is an ultimate honor in the state of Kentucky to make it to the Sweet Sixteen in basketball. Playing in Rupp Arena in front of thousands of fans.

I have always seen making it to the Sweet Sixteen in basketball as the prestigious equivalent of being a football state champion in a state that recognizes SIX champions.

Approximate odds in making it to the Kentucky Sweet 16 in basketball: 1 in 17

Approximate odds in making it to the Kentucky football state championship game: 1 in 17

Here is the difference.

From a players perspective, it is an ultimate honor in the state of Kentucky to make it to the Sweet Sixteen in basketball. Playing in Rupp Arena in front of thousands of fans.

I have always seen making it to the Sweet Sixteen in basketball as the prestigious equivalent of being a football state champion in a state that recognizes SIX champions.

Approximate odds in making it to the Kentucky Sweet 16 in basketball: 1 in 17

Approximate odds in making it to the Kentucky football state championship game: 1 in 17

:thumb: Great post

And btw, go ask any kid who won a state football title this past year if they feel less about their state title because an adult feels it is watered down. See how they feel.

I think in football 5 classes is great. The way they it was figured out if you had 5 classes everyone would have to win atleast 1 district game to make it to the post season. I think thats very fair rather than having for example, and 0-10 team playing a 1 seed and driving 2 or 3 hours to just get killed. But even with 6 classes its still an honor to win a state title.

And btw, go ask any kid who won a state football title this past year if they feel less about their state title because an adult feels it is watered down. See how they feel.

Go ask any player from Shelby Valley if the All A felt better or the Sweet 16 felt better.

How many high school-aged kids have the ability to take the long view? A better way to ask them would be this: Would you rather play for a state championship in front of 20,000+ (as much as 40K in the final years of Indiana's one-school championship) people as opposed to the couple thousand who watched you?

My guess is they would rather play for a state championship no matter how big the crowd.

It is easier to pull off a "little guy" beating a "big guy" in basketball because you only use about 10 players - even your smallest school could potential have 10 players - especially if that school doesn't offer a lot of other sports.

My reason for changing up the Sweet Sixteen has more to do with the fact that some regions have several teams that are state tourn worthy and have a heck of run just getting out of the region, and some teams get to the Sweet Sixteen by virtue of the region they are in. Wish you could do something like the NCAA - some get invited based on season, some get to go based on conference/region. If you like basketball, can you imagine what kind of crowds that would draw and you would truely be crowning the state champion because the best of the state would be playing the best of the state. Go back a few years and compare who played at Rupp with those that didn't get to play.

I also have no problem with leaving it like it is - I just don't think the Sweet Sixteen winner just be called the State Champion- they have only won a very cool tournament - period.

And yes - six classes (six state champions) in football is too many - no reason not have about three - small, medium and large would be fine. I can't forsee a time (might happen, but would be unusual) when a small school would beat a large school.

Your logic doesn't add up.

Shelby Valley beat the teams in front of them, the teams they beat got there by winning the games in front of them.

Every team gets a chance to make it to the Sweet 16, by winning their region. Just because 1 region is "tougher" than another doesn't mean the best team is form that region................