Tennessee next head coach?

KYHOOP

^If it takes Mack 5 more years, I can't see Muschamp being the biggest name coach they could get. UT is an uphill battle against UF, Bama, and even LSU, and other coaches will have more success. If Muschamp wants to make sure he's the coach at Texas, he has to stay. If he just wants a great job, by all means take Tennessee.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By posting this with no comment, do you agree with this article or not? Just curious. You have been the biggest Lame backer on BGP all year. Wondering if you have changed your mind now or not?

I agree with this. I have been backing him up ever since he got there. He showed no class yesterday. You guys were right about him.

It's not just that.

2) Why not make HC money while waiting for Brown to go? If Muschamp is that good, Texas will come calling then. Mack Brown had never coached at Texas until he was hired as head coach. He was at North Caroline when they came calling.

3) Boosters are fickle. Promises made now, may not be there when Mack retires.

:thumb:

Muschamp is the 1st choice. He has a very tough decision. I wouldn't be suprised to see him leave then dump the Vols when the Texas job opens!

Cutcliff is the last case fall back IMO. If that happens then UT will fall behind recruiting.

Going to have to fire some cash to get a big name! It will be soon because signing day is coming on soon and they don't have time to sit around!

I think Justin Timberlake has a song called "What Goes Around, Comes Around".

I can't help but to laugh at the situation going on in Knoxville and the Tennessee Volunteer football program right now.

Tennessee alumni and athletic department needed a scapegoat a few years ago and it became offensive coordinator Randy Sanders. Randy is from Tennessee, played at Tennessee, and coached at Tennessee. The Vols hadn't won another national championship and were not able to beat Florida, so there was pressure to get rid of that guy calling the plays. Tennessee's loss has been Kentucky's gain with Randy Sander getting phased out in Knoxville and coming to Lexington.

Phillip Fulmer is from Tennessee, played at Tennessee, and spent most his career coaching at the University of Tennessee. He had won 152 out of about 200 games since becoming the head coach and had won a national championship. The Vol Nation so badly wanted another national championship and wanted to beat those lousy Gators from Florida and Phillip Fulmer was run out of town.

Enter Lane Kiffin. He absolutely screwed the University of Tennessee by coming in one year, having everything but the kitchen sink given to him, and then bolting in a moments notice to the University of Southern California. I do think Lane Kiffin would have won big in Knoxville, but............

WHAT GOES AROUND, COMES AROUND!

I think Justin Timberlake has a song called "What Goes Around, Comes Around".

I can't help but to laugh at the situation going on in Knoxville and the Tennessee Volunteer football program right now.

Tennessee alumni and athletic department needed a scapegoat a few years ago and it became offensive coordinator Randy Sanders. Randy is from Tennessee, played at Tennessee, and coached at Tennessee. The Vols hadn't won another national championship and were not able to beat Florida, so there was pressure to get rid of that guy calling the plays. Tennessee's loss has been Kentucky's gain with Randy Sander getting phased out in Knoxville and coming to Lexington.

Phillip Fulmer is from Tennessee, played at Tennessee, and spent most his career coaching at the University of Tennessee. He had won 152 out of about 200 games since becoming the head coach and had won a national championship. The Vol Nation so badly wanted another national championship and wanted to beat those lousy Gators from Florida and Phillip Fulmer was run out of town.

Enter Lane Kiffin. He absolutely screwed the University of Tennessee by coming in one year, having everything but the kitchen sink given to him, and then bolting in a moments notice to the University of Southern California. I do think Lane Kiffin would have won big in Knoxville, but............

WHAT GOES AROUND, COMES AROUND!

Sounds an awful lot like UK basketball.

From my perspective though, winning a lot of games doesn't give you a pass to never win the big ones.

Sounds an awful lot like UK basketball.

From my perspective though, winning a lot of games doesn't give you a pass to never win the big ones.

I was thinking the same exact thing as I read that post...if it is like UK, who will be UT's Calipari?

It is a very similar situation.

Phillip Fulmer 152-52 (74%) with a National Championship at Tennessee.

Tubby Smith 268-83 (76%) with a National Championship at Kentucky.

Both with incredibly boring, lifeless programs, regardless of wins.

People are kidding themselves if they think otherwise.....How could an SEC job not be the best job......OH My!!!:notworthy:

I don't think you leave a job like UF, Bama, Ohio State, USC, Michigan for Texas, but all things considered Texas has the most to offer a coach. And that's not even opinion, it's just common sense.

Things change fast in football my friend.

Things change fast in football my friend.

What's going to change fast?

-Is Texas going to lose all of it's alumni? Doubtful.

-Is Texas going to stop being a recruiting hotbed?

-Is Texas Tech or Texas A&M going to make up 100 years of recruiting pipelines to the Horns?

No chance man. Maybe USC could lock down California and compete, but no one else will ever get close. UF is on top of the world and Urban still has to go out of the state and wants to go out of the state.

I think Cutcliff and here's why. The big orange nation, including former players were upset when Fulmer was let go. I'm guessing they are kicking back now, saying, "We told you so"..

To heal this wound with former players, alumni, students, and fans in general, plus the fact Cutcliff is a solid coach and SHOULD stay at UT a long time, he is the logical choice, IF he wants it.