Tennessee next head coach?

KYHOOP

I think Fla is the best job in the country. USC is up there as well. Texas is a great job but it isn't the best one out there.

Meyer may be the best coach in the country, but Florida just isn't a better job than Texas. Even with UF's succes, they have to fight for players. Meyer is a great recruiter but he has to work hard at it. Mack Brown doesn't even sweat recruiting.

Players turn down UF to go to FSU and Miami. You don't see too many Texas HS kids going to other schools if Mack really wants them.

JMO, but let's not confuse a coaches success at a school with how good the job is. UF is a great job, top 5 or so in the country. But without Meyer, UF was nothing. Spurrier had fun in the 90s, but even before he left I think people were figuring it out. Zook sure was a HOF'er at UF wasn't he?

Meyer could make the UK job look like a great one. He is building a giant, but until he can lock down Florida (not going to happen completely) I don't think it can really be compared to Texas. Meyer had to go out of state to get guys like Harvin, Spikes, Haden, even some of the newer big names like Powell and Floyd, and had to personally recruit many of them. Texas simply does not have to do that to have a championship caliber squad. I'd say Mack Brown rarely leaves the state to visit a recruit.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meyer may be the best coach in the country, but Florida just isn't a better job than Texas. Even with UF's succes, they have to fight for players. Meyer is a great recruiter but he has to work hard at it. Mack Brown doesn't even sweat recruiting.

Players turn down UF to go to FSU and Miami. You don't see too many Texas HS kids going to other schools if Mack really wants them.

JMO, but let's not confuse a coaches success at a school with how good the job is. UF is a great job, top 5 or so in the country. But without Meyer, UF was nothing. Spurrier had fun in the 90s, but even before he left I think people were figuring it out. Zook sure was a HOF'er at UF wasn't he?

Meyer could make the UK job look like a great one. He is building a giant, but until he can lock down Florida (not going to happen completely) I don't think it can really be compared to Texas. Meyer had to go out of state to get guys like Harvin, Spikes, Haden, even some of the newer big names like Powell and Floyd, and had to personally recruit many of them. Texas simply does not have to do that to have a championship caliber squad. I'd say Mack Brown rarely leaves the state to visit a recruit.

Exactley. :thumb:

Top to bottom Texas is the best job.

In my opinion on Top jobs right now...you have Texas, Florida, Alabama and USC. Arguments can be made for each. Every other program is a notch below.

With that said Muschamp is from GA...and has thick SEC blood lines. I would say that Mac Brown coaches at least 5 more years...the thing with Muschamp, is his name will come up for everyone of these type jobs.

I don't think Fischer turns down USC to take UT...who else is out there. Gruden would is doubtful....

I think when it is all said and done, if Muschamp declines, Cutcliff will be the new Coach. I think that Cutcliff won't be a homerun, but I think he is a solid Coach.

Exactley. :thumb:

Top to bottom Texas is the best job.

People are kidding themselves if they think otherwise.....How could an SEC job not be the best job......OH My!!!:notworthy:

I don't think you leave a job like UF, Bama, Ohio State, USC, Michigan for Texas, but all things considered Texas has the most to offer a coach. And that's not even opinion, it's just common sense.

In my opinion on Top jobs right now...you have Texas, Florida, Alabama and USC. Arguments can be made for each. Every other program is a notch below.

With that said Muschamp is from GA...and has thick SEC blood lines. I would say that Mac Brown coaches at least 5 more years...the thing with Muschamp, is his name will come up for everyone of these type jobs.

I don't think Fischer turns down USC to take UT...who else is out there. Gruden would is doubtful....

I think when it is all said and done, if Muschamp declines, Cutcliff will be the new Coach. I think that Cutcliff won't be a homerun, but I think he is a solid Coach.

:thumb:

Vols play by play man said this morning that the Vols had the highest payroll for the staff than any other school. Lane wanted his coaches paid well thats how he got one to leave Bama/NFL/ and other schools, so they can readjust their money and pay their coach with the likes of Brown/Saban/Stoops.

I don't think you turn down being the future head coach of Texas. IMO, there is no better job in the country. They get to select players they want from one of the best states in producing talent. No job is easier recruiting wise than Texas. And there's no real competition for them outside of Oklahoma and maybe Nebraska on a consistent basis. Plus, look at what Texas is paying Mack Brown, how could you turn them down? If I were Muschamp only Ohio State or Michigan would be worth the jump.

I don't get why OSU or Michigan is better than Texas if that is the argument you are making?

How much longer do you think Mack Brown is going to be at Texas? He looks pretty comfy and with what they are paying him, why leave?

Will should have a meeting with Brown and see what he says. I agree the Texas job is better, but the Tennessee job is better than any defensive coordinator job. Go coach at Tennessee until Brown leaves and then make the jump back to Texas if you aren't happy.

I don't get why OSU or Michigan is better than Texas if that is the argument you are making?

How much longer do you think Mack Brown is going to be at Texas? He looks pretty comfy and with what they are paying him, why leave?

Will should have a meeting with Brown and see what he says. I agree the Texas job is better, but the Tennessee job is better than any defensive coordinator job. Go coach at Tennessee until Brown leaves and then make the jump back to Texas if you aren't happy.

No man, sorry for the misunderstanding. IMO, Texas has more to offer a coach than any other job in the country. When you combine money, prestige, the conference strength (Big 12 champ often plays in MNC), and the fact that they select recruits no other job can match it.

I'd love to hear anyone's argument for a job being better than Texas. They can't make it.

Also, would Texas hire him if he decides to leave? The coach in waiting is used to keep guys on the staff, so maybe not. I think he's got to be patient. Tennessee is going to be a mess for the next few years, so he could really lower his stock IMO. I hope Muschamp just waits his turn and I think he will.

No man, sorry for the misunderstanding. IMO, Texas has more to offer a coach than any other job in the country. When you combine money, prestige, the conference strength (Big 12 champ often plays in MNC), and the fact that they select recruits no other job can match it.

I'd love to hear anyone's argument for a job being better than Texas. They can't make it.

I agree. However, he is not picking between the two jobs. The Texas job is not available right now. Personally, I probably wouldn't want to wait five more years (possibly more) for my chance to run the show.

I agree. However, he is not picking between the two jobs. The Texas job is not available right now. Personally, I probably wouldn't want to wait five more years (possibly more) for my chance to run the show.

True, I guess it goes with what your preference is. I'm the kind of guy that would rather wait for Texas than take the average SEC job. Tennessee is a top 20-25 program IMO, so it's not a bad place to coach. It's the SEC which always helps. I just couldn't not being able to wait for Texas. But, that's just how I think.:thumb:

It's not just that.

2) Why not make HC money while waiting for Brown to go? If Muschamp is that good, Texas will come calling then. Mack Brown had never coached at Texas until he was hired as head coach. He was at North Caroline when they came calling.

3) Boosters are fickle. Promises made now, may not be there when Mack retires.