September 16, 200521 yr Jim Sexton hates the Louisville Catholic schools. Did you catch the bomb he buried in proposal 10? If you aren't from a "feeder school" you can't receive financial aid. Thus public school kids can't apply for financial aid at a private school and still play sports. There is nothing in his proposal that prevents kids from a private school from applying to a public school and receiving a tuition free education and playing sports without penalty. The other part of his proposal limits financial aid to 75 percent. I don't think that this has much practical significance, but it is wrong. If you can limit it to 75 percent you can also limit it to 10 percent or 1 percent. I don't have any problem with applying the transfer rules to the younger kids. I wouldn't let kids below high school play on the high school team at all in any sport. I would also extend the transfer rule to apply to kids that have participated in sports at any level, not just the varsity. 3 As a parent, I find this ridiculous. My child whether he attends a public or private grade school should be entitled to the same opportunities as other children. This jealousy of private over public is getting old! Also, if a kid happens to be talented enough to excel at the high school level when they are in middle school, how can you hold them back. We do not do this in academics (higher level math classes or gifted and talented programs), why would should there be a different standard for athletics.
September 16, 200521 yr I KNOW THIS DON'T SEEM LIKE THE FAVORITE THING ON HERE, BUT, I AGREE WITH proposal 20. I don't think it is fair when some schools can recurit kids (private) and other schools (public) have to play only the kids in their school district. Does that really sound fair to you? :confused:
September 16, 200521 yr WHOA!!! Did anyone catch this sentence in proposal 20?(to eliminate private schools from state playoffs) However, public schools will no longer have to face those "recruited" student-athletes in the state playoff competition. OK, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this insinuating that they know recruiting is going on? He's referring to recruiting students - not athletes.
September 16, 200521 yr I KNOW THIS DON'T SEEM LIKE THE FAVORITE THING ON HERE, BUT, I AGREE WITH proposal 20. I don't think it is fair when some schools can recurit kids (private) and other schools (public) have to play only the kids in their school district. Does that really sound fair to you? :confused: Jefferson County schools also "recruit" kids. Why are they not considered "non-public"?
September 16, 200521 yr He's referring to recruiting students - not athletes. The quote says "student-athletes." It goes without saying that they're students.
September 16, 200521 yr I just downloaded the Proposals and I'm going to look over. I did notice, like Guru pointed out, that one seemed to have numerous proposals. I can see the emails, phone calls and luncheon meetings increasing until the vote takes place.
September 16, 200521 yr I don't believe that Eastern High School and the Jefferson County Board of Ed. are getting their moneys worth out of Principal Sexton. Instead of being the principal of the school and tending to the needs of their students, he seems to spend a great deal of time writing proposals to the KHSAA.
September 16, 200521 yr If they play in your feeder program (and I mean the middle school that feeds to the high school - not going to other middle schools), I do not see why it is problem to go and watch them play at the middle school level. Is this not looking out for your future program. No problem as long as they are in a middle school feeder school in your district. But if they play varsity for a high school during their middle school year, then they should be at that same school as a freshman, or sit out for one year.
September 16, 200521 yr How many private schools are there in each class? If I read this right, it sounds like they would still keep their separte classes so we would have 8 state champs instead of 4 correct? If I am reading it correctly it sounds like the privates are getting 3 more guaranteed championships for the publics one. What a trade off.
September 16, 200521 yr How many private schools are there in each class? If I read this right, it sounds like they would still keep their separte classes so we would have 8 state champs instead of 4 correct? If I am reading it correctly it sounds like the privates are getting 3 more guaranteed championships for the publics one. What a trade off. But in reality we simply have twice as many meaningless state trophies sitting in someone's cases. Like your first year of knothole, why don't we just give everyone a participation trophy, pat them on the butt, and tell everyone they did good.
September 16, 200521 yr But in reality we simply have twice as many meaningless state trophies sitting in someone's cases. Like your first year of knothole, why don't we just give everyone a participation trophy, pat them on the butt, and tell everyone they did good. Um, lets pat them on the lower back. We wouldn't want to violate anyone or send the wrong message. We could hurt someone's feelings.
September 16, 200521 yr The quote says "student-athletes." It goes without saying that they're students. Read the "rationale" wording. In there, they refer to the private schools' needs to recruit students in order to survive. That's the 'recruiting' that they're referring to.
September 16, 200521 yr There are things that I would like to say about Jim Sexton but I won't other then to say how convenient is it that districts in almost every sport that Eastern playes in have been shifted so that the strongest teams that Eastern used to compete against in districts have now been moved to other districts. 11 ADs or principals from Louisville signed on to this farce. Among them the AD from Male (big surprise, the 4A football title will be renamed the Male football championship if this passes) and the principal Manual. These two schools have no boundries and from an athletic standpoint have the most to gain from this proposal. Be careful what you wish for, how long will it be before people come after you? Ballard's principal is also on this. Considering their success against Trinity in all sports but basketball recently I am not surprised. The Principal from PRP also signed on to this, I guess he figures that if St. X is eliminated they can finally get a playoff spot in football. The principal from Senaca is also included, again no surprise. That administration let their best football coach ever get away so how much do they really know about sports. Also signing on were Doss, Iroquois, Jeffersontown, Southern, Valley and Western. I guess they think that this will encourage more students to come to their schools but IMVHO they lose more students to schools like Male, Manual and Butler then they do to private schools. One big surprise was seeing the AD from Scott County on this. I really thought that he was above all of this. I'll be sorry to see Trinity's annual scrimmage with Scott County end.
September 16, 200521 yr Read the "rationale" wording. In there, they refer to the private schools' needs to recruit students in order to survive. That's the 'recruiting' that they're referring to. Do you not find it more then a little hypocritical that the Jefferson County Schools who also "recruit" students signed on to this?
September 16, 200521 yr The public schools don't seem to mind when a kid that has gone to a private school suddenly goes to a public high school. I realize this may not happen as much as the public school kids going to a private, but it does happen. Again, how can you fault a kid for wanting to do what is best for his future.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.