"End of Bowden Era This Year", says FSU's Jim Smith

swamprat

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have tal;ked to some friends and they are saying Jimbo has been doing things behind Bowdens back. If this is true he will have a hard time once the team becomes his. Jimbo needs to sit tight and let things be handed over properly. 2010

Jim Smith may want to shut his mouth or Ann Bowden might shut it for him.

As a fan of college football, I think Bowden has been a staple of the game for as long as I can remember (literally). I love Bowden's part in the game of football. That being said, however, he is almost 80 years old and it's just time to hang the whistle up. And, I say that with the most possible love and respect :thumb:

Richt isn't a bad coach, I just think he's showed he can't really get to the top. He's had the team to do it. He can recruit pretty well, I don't know if I like his chances against Urban and Shannon head to head. He has stolen a few players like the TE they brought in this year, but he's not competing for his entire class against these guys.

Don't take this the wrong way, but last year some people were calling for Shannon's head, and this year you're acting like the guy cures cancer. I don't know what coach I would like against Urban, but please, can you stop acting like Randy Shannon and Miami are an unstoppable force? Heck, they nearly lost to Florida State this year and that looks worse every single week.

Part of the problem is Jimbo isn't the boss and he thinks he is, you can blame the Prez and boosters for cutting Bobby's throat.

FSU needs to go after Mark Richt as next head coach. Fisher has to go. This situation has soured my mind on him.

I agree. :thumb:

As a fan of college football, I think Bowden has been a staple of the game for as long as I can remember (literally). I love Bowden's part in the game of football. That being said, however, he is almost 80 years old and it's just time to hang the whistle up. And, I say that with the most possible love and respect :thumb:

Just 3 years ago they said the same for Joe Pa, then things turned around.

This just might be what Bowden needs to get the wagons circled.

Don't take this the wrong way, but last year some people were calling for Shannon's head, and this year you're acting like the guy cures cancer. I don't know what coach I would like against Urban, but please, can you stop acting like Randy Shannon and Miami are an unstoppable force? Heck, they nearly lost to Florida State this year and that looks worse every single week.

Number 1, I have never been the Miami fan who wanted Shannon fired. He's a work in progress, but one thing he CAN do very well is recruit. He's went head to head with Urban and Bowden and came away with some very good players. For instance, coming off a 7-6 season, taking 2 of the "Seminole Trio" is very impressive. At times his game management has killed me as a fan, but it goes with the learning process of a first time HC.

I missed the part where I said a coach couldn't beat them? I said that, unless a HUGE name comes in they are going to have a hard time recruiting against UF and Miami. I don't think that's too farfetched, maybe you know everything and I'm wrong.

Bowden is the one thing that keeps players coming to FSU. Not Jimbo, not the cool uniforms, not anything else. Anyone else is going to have to do some quick work on the recruiting trail, because:

1. UF is the best program in America as of today. Meyer doesn't recruit, he selects. If Bowden is gone, we'll see who ends up with Luc, Joyner, and the players FSU-UF are fighting for.

2. Shannon obviously is a heck of a recruiter. From his life experiences, he can relate to just about any kid really well, has pulled in two really good recruiting classes while posting a losing record during his first two seasons. And now, Miami is gaining some recognition. I do think the U's future is bright, as would anyone who follows the team. An extremely young team, playing 4 ranked teams (2 of which were terrible I'll admit) and coming out 3-1 is pretty impressive.

Once again, I have NEVER said Shannon wasn't the man for the job. He is the only man for the job, IMO. He's not a great coach, but he's just what Miami needs.

Maybe if you could look past the fact that you are an FSU fan, you could see that who ever the next coach is they are going to have an uphill battle. Miami isn't an unstoppable force, but they are a million times closer to being back to respectablity when compared to the mess that FSU is in.

Again, I was just giving my perspective. I take offense to your sickening comment, and perhaps you should have reread my entire post or asked for clarity.:puke:

:thumb: He doesn't even care anymore. Doesn't act like it anyway.

Number 1, I have never been the Miami fan who wanted Shannon fired. He's a work in progress, but one thing he CAN do very well is recruit. He's went head to head with Urban and Bowden and came away with some very good players. For instance, coming off a 7-6 season, taking 2 of the "Seminole Trio" is very impressive. At times his game management has killed me as a fan, but it goes with the learning process of a first time HC.

I missed the part where I said a coach couldn't beat them? I said that, unless a HUGE name comes in they are going to have a hard time recruiting against UF and Miami. I don't think that's too farfetched, maybe you know everything and I'm wrong.

Bowden is the one thing that keeps players coming to FSU. Not Jimbo, not the cool uniforms, not anything else. Anyone else is going to have to do some quick work on the recruiting trail, because:

1. UF is the best program in America as of today. Meyer doesn't recruit, he selects. If Bowden is gone, we'll see who ends up with Luc, Joyner, and the players FSU-UF are fighting for.

2. Shannon obviously is a heck of a recruiter. From his life experiences, he can relate to just about any kid really well, has pulled in two really good recruiting classes while posting a losing record during his first two seasons. And now, Miami is gaining some recognition. I do think the U's future is bright, as would anyone who follows the team. An extremely young team, playing 4 ranked teams (2 of which were terrible I'll admit) and coming out 3-1 is pretty impressive.

Once again, I have NEVER said Shannon wasn't the man for the job. He is the only man for the job, IMO. He's not a great coach, but he's just what Miami needs.

Maybe if you could look past the fact that you are an FSU fan, you could see that who ever the next coach is they are going to have an uphill battle. Miami isn't an unstoppable force, but they are a million times closer to being back to respectablity when compared to the mess that FSU is in.

Again, I was just giving my perspective. I take offense to your sickening comment, and perhaps you should have reread my entire post or asked for clarity.:puke:

My sickening comment. Laying it on a little thick are we? Would you rather I had gone religious and said walks on water? Also, I never said YOU said it, but that some were calling for his head, and that now people are acting like he "hung the moon". (Better?)

I'm sorry that I interpret "He can recruit pretty well, I don't know if I like his chances against Urban and Shannon head to head" or "It's going to be hard for a coach to get a recruit in Florida now with UF on top of the world and a respectable man with a great life story in Miami." to be an indication that FSU is automatically third rate behind a coach whose team is only now one game over .500 while he has coached there. And as if Florida State was going to go out and hire the most despicable man in the world. My fault, only Coach Shannon is respectable.

Maybe if you weren't a Miami fan, you could realize that of Miami's 4 games against ranked teams (which you yourself admit that two are over TERRIBLE TEAMS), two are over those terrible teams, they were blown out by the best team they faced, and they won by one, at home, versus a team missing it's starter and defending Heisman QB. Maybe if you weren't a Miami fan, you'd realize that Miami is a "million times closer to being back to respectability" on the strength of that suspect 3-1 record which is not as impressive as it appears to be, when going into the season no one would have made that argument as it appeared that FSU, not Miami, was closer to respectability. Finally, if you weren't a Miami fan, you'd realize that a dropped pass in the end zone in that season opener is the difference between "The U is BACK" and the 'Canes being 2-2 and probably not even in the top 25.

FSU is not good this year, and it is time for a change, but this is FOUR GAMES and ONE SEASON. 365 days from now you have no idea where this might be, as 365 days ago no one imagined Miami would be ranked where they are now. I think your notion that Florida State has nothing going for it other than Bowden is ludicrous. I think your notion that Mark Richt, who would be perfect for the job IMO, would even be behind Shannon is likewise ludicrous. You're talking about a coach that is 2-2 versus Florida in the last 4 years, while the Gators have been running roughshod over most of college football. A coach whose team have finished in the top 10 six of the past seven years. But wow, he wouldn't be able to compete with that Shannon guy....

Edited by DragonFire

My sickening comment. Laying it on a little thick are we? Would you rather I had gone religious and said walks on water? Also, I never said YOU said it, but that some were calling for his head, and that now people are acting like he "hung the moon". (Better?)

I'm sorry that I interpret "He can recruit pretty well, I don't know if I like his chances against Urban and Shannon head to head" or "It's going to be hard for a coach to get a recruit in Florida now with UF on top of the world and a respectable man with a great life story in Miami." to be an indication that FSU is automatically third rate behind a coach whose team is only now one game over .500 while he has coached there. And as if Florida State was going to go out and hire the most despicable man in the world. My fault, only Coach Shannon is respectable.

Maybe if you weren't a Miami fan, you could realize that of Miami's 4 games against ranked teams (which you yourself admit that two are over TERRIBLE TEAMS), two are over those terrible teams, they were blown out by the best team they faced, and they won by one, at home, versus a team missing it's starter and defending Heisman QB. Maybe if you weren't a Miami fan, you'd realize that Miami is a "million times closer to being back to respectability" on the strength of that suspect 3-1 record which is not as impressive as it appears to be, when going into the season no one would have made that argument as it appeared that FSU, not Miami, was closer to respectability. Finally, if you weren't a Miami fan, you'd realize that a dropped pass in the end zone in that season opener is the difference between "The U is BACK" and the 'Canes being 2-2 and probably not even in the top 25.

FSU is not good this year, and it is time for a change, but this is FOUR GAMES and ONE SEASON. 365 days from now you have no idea where this might be, as 365 days ago no one imagined Miami would be ranked where they are now. I think your notion that Florida State has nothing going for it other than Bowden is ludicrous. I think your notion that Mark Richt, who would be perfect for the job IMO, would even be behind Shannon is likewise ludicrous. You're talking about a coach that is 2-2 versus Florida in the last 4 years, while the Gators have been running roughshod over most of college football. A coach whose team have finished in the top 10 six of the past seven years. But wow, he wouldn't be able to compete with that Shannon guy....

Great Post. I have to agree. :thumb:

Do you not think that FSU recruiting is going to take a hit? I wasn't saying anything about whoever they bring in as a coach, though I think Jimbo will prove to be terrible.

I think it is obvious to say that with a new coach and all of this drama, FSU is going to be the 3rd choice for most FL. recruits. Really not too far-fetched there.

As for Miami, most though they'd be 0-4 or 1-3 right now. They are extremely young, most likely the youngest or at least most inexperienced team in the top 25.

For the FSU game, here are a few of my thoughts.

1. FSU wasn't as bad then. They aren't bad now, but they do have a lot, and I MEAN ALOT of issues going on right now. It has gotten worse over the weeks, so while those issues still existed then they weren't at this magnitude.

2. That really wasn't the same Miami team either. They start plenty of sophomores and play many frosh, and it was also their first game with a new OC and a new DC. So winning against a BCS conference team is pretty impressive under those circumstances, especially since a true soph QB was making his 3rd career start and 1st on the road.

3. Rivalry game, it's going to be closer than it should.

And Miami is much closer than FSU to gaining back some prestige and winning ways. Miami has it's coach, two cordinators that they like, a QB, and plenty of youthful playmakers. FSU has a good QB, IMO, and some playmakers, but their coaching, whether good or bad in anyone's opinion, is fractured and they seem to be crumbling as a program.

As a Miami fan I see a team that is 3-1 and through with the toughest part of their schedule. Is it their fault that OU's players were hurt, FSU's program is in rapid decline, Georgia Tech is a fraud?

Alot of things played into the VT game. VT is the better team this year, but I don't think they are 31-7, absolute beatdown better. But what can you do? Should we claim injuries like other teams? We didn't lose a Heisman winner, but highly touted DT Marcus Forston was out, along with 2 other starters on the defensive line. You don't see people pointing that out, and really it doesn't matter. It's still a W or an L in the wins/losses column.

As a Miami fan I also see a bunch of young talent that is going to continue to get better. I see a defense that is going to bring back 9 starters, with the two that are graduating being replaced by more talented (though less experienced) players. I see a very good OC, players buying into what the DC is saying, and good recruits coming in. I'm not looking at just this season, Miami's better days are ahead, unless some circumstances change.

It still goes back to the fact that what I was saying is that....

Bobby does and would have better success on the recruiting trail in FL than Richt or Jimbo, if they are competing with Urban Meyer and Randy Shannon.

I don't see what's wrong with saying that. It's just my opinion, but hopefully one of those two take over and we can see. I didn't say that those guys weren't respectable, but much of recruiting for the Big 3 in FL comes from South FL. Randy Shannon is a man that understands SFL, is from SFL, and like I said about his life story, he can relate to just about anyone no matter how wild their home lives are or aren't.

You really made more of this than what it was. If you think Jimbo is going to outrecruit RS, fine it's your right. Don't take it as me saying "Oh the U is so good, no other team holds a candle to them, Randy Shannon is the greatest coach ever", because that's not what I said. Shannon has a track record, albeit a short one, of being able to recruit with the best of them. Who has ever heard of bringing in the number 1 class in the country following a 5-7 season? Kiffin is about as close of an example to that as I can think of.

As for the bolded, Meyer has only lost once to Richt, so there goes that argument. Richt has won 2 of the last 5, with one of those coming against Ron Zook. RZ UF teams weren't that good. Richt is a fine coach, and just strictly COACHING he would most likely coach the pants off Randy Shannon. Recruiting-wise, I don't know, but I'm taking Shannon. He's had classes around and once rated above Richts the last 3 seasons, and Miami hasn't sniffed success. If the love and wins continue to come common sense would tell you that his recruiting will only improve. Richt would still recruit well, he moved to FL before graduating HS, but I'm still going to take RS and Meyer for recruiting in FL.

My anger is that you made this personal by attacking me. I said nothing bad or out of the way before that. You're making this into a coaching thing, when I was stating recruiting or it is just a personal attack. It's one of the two. Either you didn't understand what I was saying or you went out of your way to take a shot. I don't know how anyone will do there after BB leaves, I'd just go after someone that has proven to do more with less. Peterson can match wits with the best of them, and doesn't have the talent to do so. I'm not saying that I wouldn't take Richt over Shannon as to who is the better coach, though I'll take Shannon over Jimbo in a heartbeat.

Great Post. I have to agree. :thumb:

Shocker there!:isurrender: