Home Schoolers on public football teams?

mcraycraft

My view is that most of the kids don't have a say in whether they are home schooled or sent to public school. Its their parents decision. So I guess it gets down to punishing the kid for his or her's parents decision?

True, but some parents do not allow their kids to attend school dances, go to the movies, etc. The parents are aware of the impact of their decision when they make it.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of these arguments against allowing home schooled children to participate in public school athletics smacks of the old "if it was good enough for me, then it should be good enough for them" argument. If parents want to home school, then how does it harm the children of those parents who believe that the public schools are doing a good enough job for their own children?

The parents of students attending public schools do not own those schools and neither the the school board members, administrative staff, or teachers. Public schools belong to the community and home schooled children are a part of that community, whether you like it or not.

When are these parents going to let their children out of the cocoon and into the real world? If you want your child to play SCHOOL sports then freaking send them to SCHOOL.

First, the monies that the individual schools get come from the average daily attendance at that school. If a student does not go to that school, then the school does not receive that tax money.

Second, if a student wants to participate in athletics, there are many recreational opportunities that do not involve high school participation, AAU, Parks and Rec, church leagues, etc.

To me, this is like me going to school and asking to enroll my child for only 1 class. I don't want them there all day, I just want them to take computers b/c we don't have one at home.

IYea, but who is responsible for assessing and reporting the grades?

Speaking for public schools, each school system has a designated position that makes home visits and checks on the grades, they are a certified positions within the school system. All they do is keep track of home schooled students.

Speaking for public schools, each school system has a designated position that makes home visits and checks on the grades, they are a certified positions within the school system. All they do is keep track of home schooled students.

This may a little misleading. That position makes sure that school aged children are enrolled somewhere or on the record as homeschooled. I don't believe it is their responsibility or within their authority to track grades. When and if a students decides to enroll in school, they are put in the age appropriate class. If it appears they are not where they should be academically, they are tested and their placement is determined from there.

Thanks for sharing this link. It addressed many of the concerns posted. There does seem to be a bias here against home schooling. (or at least home school kids playing football) If they are eligible, based on the same guidelines as all the other student athletes, I say let them Play!

First, the monies that the individual schools get come from the average daily attendance at that school. If a student does not go to that school, then the school does not receive that tax money.

Second, if a student wants to participate in athletics, there are many recreational opportunities that do not involve high school participation, AAU, Parks and Rec, church leagues, etc.

To me, this is like me going to school and asking to enroll my child for only 1 class. I don't want them there all day, I just want them to take computers b/c we don't have one at home.

Minnow that is great! Computers! :notworthy: In my opinion I think that my son should be allowed to play football and basketball for Owensboro because they are the best in town then play baseball for Owensboro Catholic or Apollo because that is their strengths and then I want him to be enrolled at Daviess County because they give all the students laptops for the year and then I want him to be able to come home at noon so I can cook lunch for him and watch some football film and then if there is time we will send him to practice after school but if for some reason we decide not to practice we still want him to play as much as everyone else!:D:D:D

One more thing that may happen is someone decides not to start home schooling a kid until he is like 10. So by the time he is a senior he will be 22 and still playing high school football! LOL

Didn't something similar happen like this somewhere in the state? I mean in regards to age.

Yes I know there are state guidelines that say how old you can be and still play sports in high school.

I don't see a problem with it. They pay school tax like everyone else. They just choose to educate their child at home.

And save the state a lot of money when they do so, which should mean more money for the other kids attending public schools. Heck fire, KDE should love this bill. My guess is, however, that the KEA isn't a big fan of the concept (fewer students in the public schools, fewer union dues paying teachers needed), which is why it's probably doomed right out of the box.

I want to home school my child. I live within the school boundaries and pay school tax. Therefore, I feel entitled to the following.

I would like the school district to foot the bill for any expenses of the homeschooling as well. Books, online courses, curriculum materials, computers, a full science lab, a full assortment of athletic supplies for P.E.

However, I don't like to cook, so I'm going to send my child over to eat breakfast and lunch in the cafeteria.