Home Schoolers on public football teams?

mcraycraft

By definition, home schools in Kentucky are private schools. All that should be necessary for a home schooled kid to play in a public school in their district is a statement that he or she is academically eligible to participate.

I don't understand why the transfer rules would be any different than for any other transfer. Suppose the home schooled child lived next door to another private school but played for a public school. If he decided to transfer to the private school next door, then the same rules would apply as for any other student transferring.

The home school could be required to agree in writing to the abide by KHSAA rules and decisions before being allowed to play.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By definition, home schools in Kentucky are private schools. All that should be necessary for a home schooled kid to play in a public school in their district is a statement that he or she is academically eligible to participate.

I don't understand why the transfer rules would be any different than for any other transfer. Suppose the home schooled child lived next door to another private school but played for a public school. If he decided to transfer to the private school next door, then the same rules would apply as for any other student transferring.

The home school could be required to agree in writing to the abide by KHSAA rules and decisions before being allowed to play.

If they are private schools by definition, how can they play for another school? Trinity basketball players can't play for Male or Eastern.

If they are private schools by definition, how can they play for another school? Trinity basketball players can't play for Male or Eastern.
The state treats home schools as private schools. You have to submit the name of your school and the name of the principal. Obviously, not many families can field a football team or even a basketball team. More than 20 states allow home schooled kids to play for public schools and IMO, Kentucky should join them.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with your opinion as much as I am trying to explore both sides of the issue. If the state treats them as a private school, how can they participate at activities at another school? Can Evangel Christian students participate in another Jefferson County school's soccer program?
I suspect that the state treats them as private schools to maintain the separation of church and state. That does not mean that the KHSAA must treat every home school the same as it does Trinity or St. X.

Guest Birdflu

In my mind it's a matter of wanting to have your cake and eat it too. On the one hand they are saying, the schools aren't good enough for my child's education. On the other hand, maybe the school's athletic teams can get my child an athletic scholarship and I won't have to pay for college. Maybe they should home school their children for college also.

Some of these arguments against allowing home schooled children to participate in public school athletics smacks of the old "if it was good enough for me, then it should be good enough for them" argument. If parents want to home school, then how does it harm the children of those parents who believe that the public schools are doing a good enough job for their own children?

The parents of students attending public schools do not own those schools and neither the the school board members, administrative staff, or teachers. Public schools belong to the community and home schooled children are a part of that community, whether you like it or not.

I, too, am on the fence when it comes to whether this is good or bad. The one thing I just want to add to the mix is that most parents don't say the school is not good enough for their child(ren), it is usually the influences of other students that they are protecting them from. I do not home school and wouldn't, but I know several that do and it is 99.9% done for religious reasons and don't want to "pollute" their kids with secular influences. We all know that there are kids that our kids are exposed to that we wish they didn't have to be around, but this is the way life is and we have to be better parents to help them avoid these certain options for our kids. Some parents feel that they shouldn't have to be exposed to these choices and try to protect them. This leads to my next point, these secular influences are in the athletic departments, too. As Ram stated, this is a "feel dirty" topic.

I, too, am on the fence when it comes to whether this is good or bad. The one thing I just want to add to the mix is that most parents don't say the school is not good enough for their child(ren), it is usually the influences of other students that they are protecting them from. I do not home school and wouldn't, but I know several that do and it is 99.9% done for religious reasons and don't want to "pollute" their kids with secular influences. We all know that there are kids that our kids are exposed to that we wish they didn't have to be around, but this is the way life is and we have to be better parents to help them avoid these certain options for our kids. Some parents feel that they shouldn't have to be exposed to these choices and try to protect them. This leads to my next point, these secular influences are in the athletic departments, too. As Ram stated, this is a "feel dirty" topic.
The home schoolers that you know may be teaching their kids at home for 99.9% religious reasons but many parents do so for academic and/or political reasons. Team sports teach skills that are not easily taught at home and one of the best places to learn those skills is on a public school team.

The home schoolers that you know may be teaching their kids at home for 99.9% religious reasons but many parents do so for academic and/or political reasons. Team sports teach skills that are not easily taught at home and one of the best places to learn those skills is on a public school team.

I am not disagreeing with your opinion and you are 100% correct, some parents choose to home school for academics and/or political reasons. I also agree that kids need to have athletic opprotunities, whether they are home schooled or in public/private school. Would all of our Kentucky Basketball fans be against a 7' all world stud of a baller just because his parents home schooled him and attended a public school for athletics? I think not. He would be the dream of all the Big Blue Nation fans. Gator fans don't care who taught Tebow, just that he is the leader of their football team and doing well in the college classroom, if I recall.

I just posted earlier to let people know that home schooling is not done to somehow disturb the athletic programs at any school. I think most people are worried that some unknown phenom may, heaven forbid, enroll at the neighboring rival school.

I am not disagreeing with your opinion and you are 100% correct, some parents choose to home school for academics and/or political reasons. I also agree that kids need to have athletic opprotunities, whether they are home schooled or in public/private school. Would all of our Kentucky Basketball fans be against a 7' all world stud of a baller just because his parents home schooled him and attended a public school for athletics? I think not. He would be the dream of all the Big Blue Nation fans. Gator fans don't care who taught Tebow, just that he is the leader of their football team and doing well in the college classroom, if I recall.

I just posted earlier to let people know that home schooling is not done to somehow disturb the athletic programs at any school. I think most people are worried that some unknown phenom may, heaven forbid, enroll at the neighboring rival school.

:thumb: I agree on all counts. I am glad that Tim Tebow is providing a non-stereotypical example of a home schooled kid who excels in life. Many of these kids are very well educated, very well adjusted socially, and become very successful adults.

I also agree that this is a topic that will always draw the ire of parents, fans and administrators, if, the home school athlete is good and makes a difference on the field of play. There will be the parents of the kids not playing due to the home schooled kid and parents on the opposing team that are angry because they feel like it is unfair. This is why I feel the same as Ram, in calling it a "dirty feeling". No one seems to win this argument. Unfortunately, the kids hear the jeers and the negative talk and the "good years" are tainted.

I also agree that this is a topic that will always draw the ire of parents, fans and administrators, if, the home school athlete is good and makes a difference on the field of play. There will be the parents of the kids not playing due to the home schooled kid and parents on the opposing team that are angry because they feel like it is unfair. This is why I feel the same as Ram, in calling it a "dirty feeling". No one seems to win this argument. Unfortunately, the kids hear the jeers and the negative talk and the "good years" are tainted.
IMO, the key point that the people who oppose the proposed rule are missing is the fact that public schools belong to the public. They do not exist solely for those who choose to sit in their classrooms.