Home Schoolers on public football teams?

mcraycraft

I want to home school my child. I live within the school boundaries and pay school tax. Therefore, I feel entitled to the following.

I would like the school district to foot the bill for any expenses of the homeschooling as well. Books, online courses, curriculum materials, computers, a full science lab, a full assortment of athletic supplies for P.E.

However, I don't like to cook, so I'm going to send my child over to eat breakfast and lunch in the cafeteria.

Not the same. It wouldn't cost the school anything additional for your child to play a sport. It would cost extra to provide what you are saying above.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By not sending the child to school, the school does not receive tax dollars for that student. So in fact, it is costing the school.

They aren't getting any state tax dollars for that student, but don't most school districts get local tax dollars (real property, insurance, etc)? If so, the home schooling parents are paying taxes directly to that school district if they own real property and the school doesn't have to pay to educate that child. Seems like a windfall for the school district to me.

And I'm not necessarily in agreement that home schoolers cost the schools even in re the state tax dollars. The amount of dollars received per student from the state doesn't cover the full cost of educating that student at most school districts, so while the revenues from the state may be decreased by home schoolers, the school doesn't have to incur the greater expense of educating that student. That, at least to me, is not costing the school money.

Edited by leatherneck

I would say that in most districts, the local property and utility taxes are used for paying for facilities(building, upkeep, paying off loans). This money is also used for salaries, buses, fuel, etc. I think salaries may come from state not local? :idunno: Again, I would say in most cases, the local tax money never gets passed directly down to a school for funding of education, they stay at the district level. The money that goes directly to the funding of the day to day instruction comes from per pupil attendance. One could suspect that some districts have larger coffers of local tax, but we all know KERA 90 took care of that.

I don't think there is any single right answer to the question posed. I think it comes down to community values and case by case scenario. There's way to many what ifs.

This certainly a complex issue with no easy answer. If it goes through, there will likely be a number of loopholes that will be used and there will be athletes "homeschooled" when its time for HS so they can play where they want. It will be interesting to see how this plays out for sure.