Home Schoolers on public football teams?

mcraycraft

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure that states that allow this, have answers to these questions, but the problems that I see are:

1. What changes would have to be made to stop "Multiple" transfers to other teams? If you are not part of a school district, per say, how does that effect the transfer rule. Would you have to move, even though you are a "Home Schooled Athlete"?

2. The article says that you can only play for the school district that you live in. What about private schools? If you live in a public school's district, could you play for a private school that is close?

3. Grade accountability. How can a school assure that your grades are where they need to be to participate in extracurricular activities? I would say that most Home Schooled kids' grades are good, but if this passes, you could see some people home schooling their kids for, less then perfect reasons, would their grades be as good?

4. Policing this would be a nightmare, in my opinion.

There are advantages to home schooling, there are advantages to public education, and there are advantages to private education. I just think at some point, you have to weight all the advantages and disadvantages and decide what type of education is the best, in your mind, and make that form of education a reality for your children.

Like I have said before, you can have anything you want, but you can't have it all.

I'm sure that states that allow this, have answers to these questions, but the problems that I see are:

1. What changes would have to be made to stop "Multiple" transfers to other teams? If you are not part of a school district, per say, how does that effect the transfer rule. Would you have to move, even though you are a "Home Schooled Athlete"?

I would think that it would be reasonable for the current transfer rules to apply. For instance, even in Jefferson Co, where you can attend any school you like, there is a "resides" area. This means if your home falls within the "resides" area, the school in that "resides" area is your default school. If you are home schooled, I would say that you would fall under the option of not having chosen a school out of your resides area, and then would be subject to playing for your "resides" school.

2. The article says that you can only play for the school district that you live in. What about private schools? If you live in a public school's district, could you play for a private school that is close?

I'm not sure about this one, but I would say it would not be possible. In Louisville, although Catholic grade schoolers not attending their parish school are not restricted from playing for their parish team, I would think the Catholic high schools would require enrollment in their school to be a part of any athletic teams. In this case, I think the argument that kids "belong" to the public school system would apply to those not paying to attend a private school.

3. Grade accountability. How can a school assure that your grades are where they need to be to participate in extracurricular activities? I would say that most Home Schooled kids' grades are good, but if this passes, you could see some people home schooling their kids for, less then perfect reasons, would their grades be as good?

Aren't there requirements for submitting grades to the state to have your graduation requirements accredited?

4. Policing this would be a nightmare, in my opinion.

Quite possibly. I do think however, that any job of policing that has to be done by the KHSAA has to be a nightmare. No matter how they find, someone is always objecting, and calling them unfair, arbitrary or out-and-out biased. Hats off to them to do what they do, with their limited resources.

There are advantages to home schooling, there are advantages to public education, and there are advantages to private education. I just think at some point, you have to weight all the advantages and disadvantages and decide what type of education is the best, in your mind, and make that form of education a reality for your children.

Like I have said before, you can have anything you want, but you can't have it all.

I think it could work out for homeschoolers to be able to participate.

Edited by rockmom

I would think that it would be reasonable for the current transfer rules to apply. For instance, even in Jefferson Co, where you can attend any school you like, there is a "resides" area. This means if your home falls within the "resides" area, the school in that "resides" area is your default school. If you are home schooled, I would say that you would fall under the option of not having chosen a school out of your resides area, and then would be subject to playing for your "resides" school.

I understand that, and that could be the case, but the problem comes for places that are not like Louisville. I can only use my area as an example, and I am not bashing Rose Hill, but it is basically the only private school in the area.

Say a student that lives in the Raceland school district is home schooled, but chooses to play sports at Rose Hill, then a year later, decides that they want to play for their home district, Raceland. Would they have to move, even though they already live in the Raceland school district? Or, are they granted the ability to move? I would say they would loose a year of eligibility.

I'm not sure about this one, but I would say it would not be possible. In Louisville, although Catholic grade schoolers not attending their parish school are not restricted from playing for their parish team, I would think the Catholic high schools would require enrollment in their school to be a part of any athletic teams. In this case, I think the argument that kids "belong" to the public school system would apply to those not paying to attend a private school.

I honestly don't know. But, if there was a bill such as this, would it have to be across the board, they couldn't allow some member schools to require the students to be students, could they?

Aren't their requirements for submitting grades to the state to have your graduation requirements accredited?

Yea, but who is responsible for assessing and reporting the grades?

Quite possibly. I do think however, that any job of policing that has to be done by the KHSAA has to be a nightmare. No matter how they find, someone is always objecting, and calling them unfair, arbitrary or out-and-out biased. Hats off to them to do what they do, with their limited resources.

I think it could work out for homeschoolers to be able to participate.

I would think the KHSAA would be against it more then anyone. With the limited resources they have, they could not devote enough man hours to this to do it right.

I don't care for these students playing, I just see it as a big problem in the future.

I understand that, and that could be the case, but the problem comes for places that are not like Louisville. I can only use my area as an example, and I am not bashing Rose Hill, but it is basically the only private school in the area.

Say a student that lives in the Raceland school district is home schooled, but chooses to play sports at Rose Hill, then a year later, decides that they want to play for their home district, Raceland. Would they have to move, even though they already live in the Raceland school district? Or, are they granted the ability to move? I would say they would loose a year of eligibility.

I thought I covered that with my explanation of why home schoolers wouldn't be on private school teams. :D

I honestly don't know. But, if there was a bill such as this, would it have to be across the board, they couldn't allow some member schools to require the students to be students, could they?

I'm not sure how it differs from the current rules. Currently, a child who "belongs" to a certain school district can attend a private school, paying their own tuition. The schools who choose to be a part of the KHSAA abide by rules such as the limits on financial aid, etc. I don't think homeschoolers would at all impact private schools.

Yea, but who is responsible for assessing and reporting the grades?

No clue. I wasn't in any way, shape or form qualified or willing to homeschool my kids, so I never really investigated it. :lol:

I would think the KHSAA would be against it more then anyone. With the limited resources they have, they could not devote enough man hours to this to do it right.

I don't care for these students playing, I just see it as a big problem in the future.

It would be interesting to see what the KHSAA would say. The board, I mean, not the member schools.

I thought I covered that with my explanation of why home schoolers wouldn't be on private school teams. :D

Now I see:D

I'm not sure how it differs from the current rules. Currently, a child who "belongs" to a certain school district can attend a private school, paying their own tuition. The schools who choose to be a part of the KHSAA abide by rules such as the limits on financial aid, etc. I don't think homeschoolers would at all impact private schools.

One glaring problem that I see is, if a student plays on a team and attends a school can physically move and attend another school, without penalty. But, with what I have read about this, a homeschooled student could not do that. They would not have the same freedom that a public/private student would have.

No clue. I wasn't in any way, shape or form qualified or willing to homeschool my kids, so I never really investigated it. :lol:

Me neither. No shape or form.:lol:

It would be interesting to see what the KHSAA would say. The board, I mean, not the member schools.

Me too.

Sports and other extra curricular activities are the benefit of attending a school. If you don't like the education you get at that school, why be allowed to receive the benefit of participating in the activities.
I have not yet decided how I feel on this issue, but I have something I will throw into the discussion. I heard a radio commentary on this subject some months ago, and a lawyer or judge (not sure) was for it because she dealt with many truancy cases and found a great number of parents took the route of claiming to home school there children instead of actually sending them to class. Her argument was that in getting these kids "in the system" better supervision could be had over those kids whos parents took them out of school for the wrong reasons. I just wanted to add that point to the discussion.

The more that I think about this, the more it just sounds wrong. I just can't wrap my mind around it. It feels dirty.

School athletics are an extension of the school. Athletics are a privilege not a right. You have to be a member of the school, if you will, to participate. Should people be allowed to be in the band if they are not students at the school? Should people who are not a student at the school be allowed to be in the key club, the academic team, the student council? I don't think so. These are things made up by the student body, for the student body.

If you are not enrolled in college, should you be able play football at that college? I don't think so. If your school doesn't offer something, can you remain at your school and take another class at a separate school? No, you have to decide if that class is that important to you and change schools if it is.

Can a person play in a YMCA league without being a member of the YMCA? Can you play in a Church League, if you are not a member of a church?

That is not even taking in to account the possible improprieties that this will cause. The more I think about it, the more I am sure it would be a bad thing.

Edited by rockmom

The more that I think about this, the more it just sounds wrong. I just can't wrap my mind around it. It feels dirty.

That is not even taking in to account the possible improprieties that this will cause. The more I think about it, the more I am sure it would be a bad thing.

I agree with Ram! :thumb:

This is one those cases that could get really messy and would be just another area that would have to be policed. Though it would be good in some cases of getting kids out and exposed to the public and experiencing sports who otherwise don't get the opportunity to, it could get really messy and add just another complicated debate to the status quo. I'm all for kids experencing sports and teamwork, and, I'm aware that some kids aren't allowed to go to public schools for whatever reason (eg...religous concerns). But, to allow non-attending kids to play organized sports for school systems is opening a very LARGE can of worms.