List Obama's qualifications for President

As is mine, I am not crazy about some of Mccains policy either, just that I have absolutely NO respect for B.H. Obama and the fact that Obama will be the Dem cantidate has made it much shorter in that I am sure that I will not be taking that route.

As bad as I hate to I am considering the other option......."None Of The Above"

He may not be but imo some of the people that he has surrounded himself with over the last 20+ years along with his wife certainly are.

OR, help me understand that mentality. I understand that McCain's policies don't match up 100% with yours; mine either for that matter and I am a McCain supporter. But the only person on this green earth that has the same policies as me is me and I wouldn't vote for me as the President, as Governor or as Dog Catcher either:D.

When I look at the voting decision I carefully weigh each candidates positions. Generally I vote for the person that most often agrees with my positions. I've never voted for None of the Above as that constitutes a vote for the candidate that disagrees with me the most.

I truly hope you examine both candidates and vote for the one that agrees with you the most. If that's Obama, then fine. If its McCain, well, that's even better :D, but please vote. I truly believe this election may become one of the most important elections in our country's history to date. Way too important to sit it out.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you honestly believe those four things make someone qualified to be President of the United States? We are talking about the number one, most important job in the world. And those four things make him qualified?

I guess lots of people are qualified to be president according to those qualifications....

I guess lots of people are qualified to be president according to those qualifications....

I guess that is my point. I truly want to know why supporters feel he is qualified to do the job. And it looks like those four things are the best they can come up with.

Do you honestly believe those four things make someone qualified to be President of the United States? We are talking about the number one, most important job in the world. And those four things make him qualified?

I guess that what I am saying is are we cancelling out time served in the senate? If we are, that takes away most of McCain's qualifications, too.

What REALLY should qualify someone to be president? What previous experience should you look for? There is no similar job.

OR, help me understand that mentality. I understand that McCain's policies don't match up 100% with yours; mine either for that matter and I am a McCain supporter. But the only person on this green earth that has the same policies as me is me and I wouldn't vote for me as the President, as Governor or as Dog Catcher either:D.

When I look at the voting decision I carefully weigh each candidates positions. Generally I vote for the person that most often agrees with my positions. I've never voted for None of the Above as that constitutes a vote for the candidate that disagrees with me the most.

I truly hope you examine both candidates and vote for the one that agrees with you the most. If that's Obama, then fine. If its McCain, well, that's even better :D, but please vote. I truly believe this election may become one of the most important elections in our country's history to date. Way too important to sit it out.

:thumb: Well said, although, if you're leaning towards voting for Obama, I'd rather the person not vote. :D

Adolf Hitler was a great communicator and brought about change and unity in his nation when they were in desperate need. Not that I'm comparing Hitler to Obama.
In the very same token that it was his communication skills that made him so effective. Look at the very poor communication skills of the current president and how he has failed to bring the people along with the actions of the executive, and therefore cause general ineffectiveness from government .

It is a fair arguement to say that the policy is wrong if you disagree with it. It is not fair to say that his ability to communicate is not a qualification for the presidency.

I guess that what I am saying is are we cancelling out time served in the senate? If we are, that takes away most of McCain's qualifications, too.

What REALLY should qualify someone to be president? What previous experience should you look for? There is no similar job.

Does 3 years in the Senate make you qualified? How many years does McCain have?

Honestly I would really like to see a candidate have governor on their resume. And I never said I thought McCain was the best man for the job. But at the moment there are only two options and I would put McCain's experience against Obama's any day.

Ill add to the list:

A comunity organizer in inner city Chicago

Harvard law graduate

President of Harvard Law Review (First African American to hold this posistion)

Member of Veterans' Affairs Committee in the U.S. Senate

Does 3 years in the Senate make you qualified? How many years does McCain have?

Honestly I would really like to see a candidate have governor on their resume. And I never said I thought McCain was the best man for the job. But at the moment there are only two options and I would put McCain's experience against Obama's any day.

I would prefer a governor to a senator. A governor must be a good administrator. A senator must be a good bureaucrat. While I didn't always agree with his politics, I thought Bill Richardson was by far the most qualified to be president.

Congressman

Secretary of Energy

Ambassador to the United Nations

Governor of New Mexico

Positions in both education and industry

I personally don't think you can cancel out anyone's time in the Senate or for that matter Obama's time in the Illinois legislature. What one should do is consider what positions and experience each gained in elected office and determine how germane those positions and experience are the office of the President. Likewise, voting record means a lot to me. In examining the voting record, I will caution, one has to dig into the bill actually voted on. For example a vote against a bill, even if the bill was on its face for something wonderful, maybe have been the correct vote if it was laden with pork or other nefarious things.

I understand qualms about Obama's qualifications, but what qualifications did these people bring to the presidency?

Ronald Reagan, actor, president of Screen Actors Guild, spokesman for GE, California Governor 8 years.

George W. Bush, oil company executive, baseball team co-owner, Texas Governor 5 years.

Abraham Lincoln, lawyer, Illinois state legislature (8 years), U.S. House of Representatives (2 years).

Here is an interesting link:

Presidential experience

I understand qualms about Obama's qualifications, but what qualifications did these people bring to the presidency?

Ronald Reagan, actor, president of Screen Actors Guild, spokesman for GE, California Governor 8 years.

George W. Bush, oil company executive, baseball team co-owner, Texas Governor 5 years.

Abraham Lincoln, lawyer, Illinois state legislature (8 years), U.S. House of Representatives (2 years).

Here is an interesting link:

Presidential experience

I would take governor of Cali for 8 years and Texas for 5 years any day. If that isn't a huge plus on ones resume what is.

As far as Abraham Lincoln, are you kidding me. You can't compare the two. Almost no issue is the same now as was then. You have got to come up with something better then that.

In closing you are dodging the question. You are only trying justify Obama's lack of qualifications. I also want to add that I think with what is going on in the world today and in this country more then ever we need someone who is ready for the task and has some substance to them. This thread is only making more sure that Obama isn't that person.

And you think McCain is? Where have you been the last 8 years? You have to gain access to a newspaper every now and then. :D

I just watched an add two nights ago with McCain and Bush shaking hands and walking into the white house together. The last line was can you tell them apart. I know McCain isn't a big fan of W, but I would guess I'm a little more informed than many people that will vote in this election, so a simple add like that can be harder to dissprove to some. He will be tied as closely as possible to Bush and I really don't think that's going to help him.

I would take governor of Cali for 8 years and Texas for 5 years any day. If that isn't a huge plus on ones resume what is.

Being a governor provides no foreign policy experience. Is that not a huge hole in a candidate's qualifications to be President? Obama has served on the Senate Foreign Relations as well as European Affairs committees. What foreign policy experience did Reagan or Bush have prior to assuming the Presidency?

As far as Abraham Lincoln, are you kidding me. You can't compare the two. Almost no issue is the same now as was then. You have got to come up with something better then that.

Why can't you compare the two? Sure, issues are different now than they were in the mid-nineteenth century. Duh. Issues now are different than they were in the 1950's, they are different now than they were in the 1990's. I find it interesting that while Lincoln's prior experience (in terms of years and type of elected civil service) prepared him to lead the country through its most difficult period, you view Obama's very comparable experience to be inadequate "just because".

In closing you are dodging the question. You are only trying justify Obama's lack of qualifications. I also want to add that I think with what is going on in the world today and in this country more then ever we need someone who is ready for the task and has some substance to them. This thread is only making more sure that Obama isn't that person.

How am I dodging the question? Others have listed his qualifications--I didn't see the need to repost what has already been posted. I merely provided some context for judging the adequacy of a Presidential candidate's qualifications. If Obama has a "lack of qualifications" as you put it, then you are in effect saying that Abraham Lincoln was also unqualified to be President. And that comes off as a bit silly to people familiar with U.S. history.