List Obama's qualifications for President

So you're anti-elderly, nothing to be proud of.

For me it has nothing to do with his age. The older I get the smarter I find older people:D I think McCain is a national hero. I think McCain has given this country way more than we have given him. I do think that McCain loves this country as much as anyone. What worries me about McCain is his temper. Oh, I know that we all have one but not all of us are the president of this country.

He just seems to me as if he is ready to blow at any minute and that's what stops me from saying I will vote for him. Hopefully, he will get his temper under control by November because I don't have anyone else to vote for now.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I'm a college graduate.

I graduated in 2004, and have been in business since then. If I were to make the same arguement that any right wing ideas you or any one else has comes from Fox News or Rush Limbaugh, you would probably feel as though I were dismissing your opinion on the basis of your inability to make up your own mind. Which is what you do when you make that statement, so let us not go down that road.

It may also surprise you that I'm registered independent and more likely going to vote for McCain, than Obama. But I abhor the utter arrogance of the right wing majority on this site to simply right off any ideas from the left side.

The fact is that Obama is a politician and will sway along with the demands of the people. This is in stark contrast to Bush who has taken a "my way or the highway approach". I do not believe that Obama's most radical left ideologies can come to fruition, as the public will push him down a more moderate path. I much more fear a Bush type president who wants to lead me, rather than a president who wants to represent me.

A true leader not only represents the people, but must make tough decisions based on info that we sometimes do not see or hear much of,or situations changed. Look at our best presidents, they led, by making tough decisions to move the country one way or another.

For me it has nothing to do with his age. The older I get the smarter I find older people:D I think McCain is a national hero. I think McCain has given this country way more than we have given him. I do think that McCain loves this country as much as anyone. What worries me about McCain is his temper. Oh, I know that we all have one but not all of us are the president of this country.

He just seems to me as if he is ready to blow at any minute and that's what stops me from saying I will vote for him. Hopefully, he will get his temper under control by November because I don't have anyone else to vote for now.

I agree with the bolded part. Unfortunately, this is true for most of our military veterans. However, though the emotional part of me wants to lean toward him because of his service, I know that that cannot be the reason that I choose him.

I graduated in 2004, and have been in business since then. If I were to make the same arguement that any right wing ideas you or any one else has comes from Fox News or Rush Limbaugh, you would probably feel as though I were dismissing your opinion on the basis of your inability to make up your own mind. Which is what you do when you make that statement, so let us not go down that road.

It may also surprise you that I'm registered independent and more likely going to vote for McCain, than Obama. But I abhor the utter arrogance of the right wing majority on this site to simply right off any ideas from the left side.

The fact is that Obama is a politician and will sway along with the demands of the people. This is in stark contrast to Bush who has taken a "my way or the highway approach". I do not believe that Obama's most radical left ideologies can come to fruition, as the public will push him down a more moderate path. I much more fear a Bush type president who wants to lead me, rather than a president who wants to represent me.

By definition the President is a leader. You want representation, that's congress.

It may also surprise you that I'm registered independent and more likely going to vote for McCain, than Obama. But I abhor the utter arrogance of the right wing majority on this site to simply right off any ideas from the left side. The fact is that Obama is a politician and will sway along with the demands of the people. This is in stark contrast to Bush who has taken a "my way or the highway approach". I do not believe that Obama's most radical left ideologies can come to fruition, as the public will push him down a more moderate path. I much more fear a Bush type president who wants to lead me, rather than a president who wants to represent me.

A couple of interesting points in this post.

First, if there is a clear line of delineation between right and left, I'd have to be considered a right winger in your mind I would think. Yet I think if you examine my posts en banc I have not written off all ideas from the left side and I have been very fair in my comments about Obama. Thus by making the comment that I have bolded, is it fair to say that you have engaged in some of the same conduct from the right that you are seemingly (at least to me) criticizing?

Second, you are seemingly commending Obama because you believe he will sway to the demands of the people, but couldn't that same trait be looked at in a different manner, of governing by polls and by political expediency? You then condemn Bush for his "my way or the highway approach", but couldn't that be looked at in a different manner, of doing what he is sworn to do as President, to protect this country and for standing up for his beliefs?

I'm no fan of Ted Kennedy or of his liberal policies, but I have always respected the man for standing true and fast to his beliefs. And from what I know of Obama, which admittedly is limited to what has come out during the campaign, I see a man that is very strong in his liberal beliefs. I don't see him as being someone that will sway to the polls or the "demands of the people" like Bill Clinton did. And I like that about Obama. I don't agree with his beliefs, but he seems to be a man of great integrity. I won't go into McCain much because this is an Obama thread, but I see McCain likewise as a man of great integrity whose beliefs on more issues are in line with mine.

You said you don't want a leader, rather you want some one that represents you. Is that really the function of the President? Isn't that more of the function of the members of the House of Representatives, and one of the reasons they are elected every two years to make sure that body more closely represents the then current thinking of the people?

I don't think its the function of the President to make his decisions based on the then will of the people, so we look at that issue fundamentally differently. Did Lincoln base his committment to end slavery on the opinion of the majority of the public at the time, or on his principled opposition to treating humans as nothing better than cattle? I think the latter. Did Governors and other elected officials in the South that took steps to stop the terrible treatment of African Americans do so based on the public sentiment in their state at the time or on the principles that all men are greated equal? I again think the latter. If all decisions made by our elected officials were based on what the majority of their voters wanted, this country would be far different and I think far worse than what it is. Taken your line of thinking that the President is a representative and not a leader to an extreme, shouldn't then every major decision to be made by the President be decided by a referendum of the people? I think not as I am not convinced that the people always are, or for that matter can be, fully educated on the facts driving certain decisions, particularly in foreign policy, intelligence and military matters.

Me, I want a leader for President. I want someone that has the courage to stand up for his convictions. I want someone who has demonstrated values that I understand and support when I pull the voting lever (or in this age, push the button) that I strongly hope will continue to have those values and act accordingly during his term; not someone that will completely flip flop due to the sway of the people. I admittedly want someone that has convictions and beliefs similar to mine, but even more importantly I want someone as the President who will make decisions in the best interest of this country even if those decisions are unpopular (even with me:D).

A couple of interesting points in this post.

First, if there is a clear line of delineation between right and left, I'd have to be considered a right winger in your mind I would think. Yet I think if you examine my posts en banc I have not written off all ideas from the left side and I have been very fair in my comments about Obama. Thus by making the comment that I have bolded, is it fair to say that you have engaged in some of the same conduct from the right that you are seemingly (at least to me) criticizing?

I didn't mean all, however I do mean the majority. I myself am more right wing than left, but it does anger me to see the majority of right wing ideas distributed on here are low brow politics, labeling liberal ideas as feminine, communist, and wishy washy. Legitimate ideas exist on both sides, but most on the right simply want to make a liberal joke and beat there chest rather than challenge the idea. That doesn't mean you in particular.

You said you don't want a leader, rather you want some one that represents you. Is that really the function of the President? Isn't that more of the function of the members of the House of Representatives, and one of the reasons they are elected every two years to make sure that body more closely represents the then current thinking of the people?

Let me explain why I don't want to be lead. I hate the powerlessness that I feel when government makes the wrong decision. I do not appreciate a non receptive government, it becomes inefficient due to legislative lock ups and polar bickering. I also feel to independent to act as a subject to the whims of one mans ideologies, while that is somewhat of an extreme take on the matter, I do believe it politically passive to want a leader to follow.

I don't think its the function of the President to make his decisions based on the then will of the people, so we look at that issue fundamentally differently. Did Lincoln base his committment to end slavery on the opinion of the majority of the public at the time, or on his principled opposition to treating humans as nothing better than cattle? I think the latter. Did Governors and other elected officials in the South that took steps to stop the terrible treatment of African Americans do so based on the public sentiment in their state at the time or on the principles that all men are greated equal? I again think the latter. If all decisions made by our elected officials were based on what the majority of their voters wanted, this country would be far different and I think far worse than what it is. Taken your line of thinking that the President is a representative and not a leader to an extreme, shouldn't then every major decision to be made by the President be decided by a referendum of the people? I think not as I am not convinced that the people always are, or for that matter can be, fully educated on the facts driving certain decisions, particularly in foreign policy, intelligence and military matters.
The emancipation was completely political, he had to wait for the right time and is know for saying "If I could save the Union without freeing any slaves I would". It isn't that I don't want a president to take any direction, but I want them to acknowledge the will of the people in there actions.

Me, I want a leader for President. I want someone that has the courage to stand up for his convictions. I want someone who has demonstrated values that I understand and support when I pull the voting lever (or in this age, push the button) that I strongly hope will continue to have those values and act accordingly during his term; not someone that will completely flip flop due to the sway of the people. I admittedly want someone that has convictions and beliefs similar to mine, but even more importantly I want someone as the President who will make decisions in the best interest of this country even if those decisions are unpopular (even with me:D).
We all want someone who will make the best decisions. And I want any president to forcefully represent there side and defend it, but if they can't find the support of the people behind there plan, they should acknowledge the people's will and do otherwise.

I agree with the bolded part. Unfortunately, this is true for most of our military veterans. However, though the emotional part of me wants to lean toward him because of his service, I know that that cannot be the reason that I choose him.

Neither can I.

Differentiator

Is it the ultimate differentiator just like abortion is for some? Or is it an extra point for the guy you're already leaning towards?

I ask, obviously, since one candidate in this election has vast experience while the other has none. I doubt anyone that is hardcore for a particular candidate is going to use it but I'm wondering about those on the fence.

Is it a big deal?

Is it the ultimate differentiator just like abortion is for some? Or is it an extra point for the guy you're already leaning towards?

I ask, obviously, since one candidate in this election has vast experience while the other has none. I doubt anyone that is hardcore for a particular candidate is going to use it but I'm wondering about those on the fence.

Is it a big deal?

For me, the only definite differentiator would be partial birth abortion. If you can't get that one right, I don't want you making any decisions for me. Next would be abortion in general, but that's a big wafle topic for politicians. Military service is a differentiator for me only when all other things are equal.

For me, the only definite differentiator would be partial birth abortion. If you can't get that one right, I don't want you making any decisions for me. Next would be abortion in general, but that's a big wafle topic for politicians. Military service is a differentiator for me only when all other things are equal.

I agree especially with the last sentence. That raises my question , though, as to why do we put so much importance on military service ? You will hear over and over again that during war we need McCain because of his military background. While I don't discount his service, I don't think the POTUS must have it. Its no different to me than saying he has to be an expert in business or oil exploration.

I agree especially with the last sentence. That raises my question , though, as to why do we put so much importance on military service ? You will hear over and over again that during war we need McCain because of his military background. While I don't discount his service, I don't think the POTUS must have it. Its no different to me than saying he has to be an expert in business or oil exploration.

Although it's not a deal-breaker for me, I do like a Commander in Chief to have previously served in the military (preferably in combat).

To me, the candidate our country needs is one who is an expert in business, not the military, not political experience as a career. I'm proud to have voted for Perot. To me, the country needs to be run as a business. The business model would place balanced budgets, profitability and general economic stability as a priority. That would mean that we'd have higher taxes, most likely, but also cuts to spending in areas that are being over funded. I think it would also require that our legislators look for reformation of programs to save money, maybe trimming the staff to save money and the cost of benefits. Run the government like a buiness, a business you could lose if you don't turn it around.