Track the Reds (Week 8)

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was going to come out sometime or another. Just felt like now was the right time to express my feelings regarding Mr. Weathers.

He does need to have his role adjusted with the way he's pitching right now. 20 hits and 11 walks in 14.1 innings isn't getting the job done late in a game...

It's Steve Bartman, actually ... and it's all media hype. Bartman didn't cost the Cubs anything ... if Alex Gonzales doesn't boot a routine double-play ball, the Cubs might have been in the World Series.

And I seriously doubt that the Cubs players give it much thought, certainly not as much as you guys do.

I'm not frustrated at all, and it certainly isn't sour grapes. Dusty's lineup lends itself to criticism, like it or not.

I never claimed Bartman cost the Cubs the game. Media hype or not, when the players get asked questions about it year after year it has to weigh on their minds whether they admit it or not. The curse will always be in the back of everyones mind, players and fans alike until they reach or win a World Series. You don't see any of us Reds fans going into the Cubs threads and criticizing Sweet Lou for batting one of his most productive hitters lead off. You can find criticism with any manager's lineup.

He does need to have his role adjusted with the way he's pitching right now. 20 hits and 11 walks in 14.1 innings isn't getting the job done late in a game...

If Weathers, or any reliever were to take a stint on the DL I would imagine Danny Hererra (the other player in the Hamilton trade) would be the first to get a shot. He is tearing it up in Louisville right now. I would love to see what he can do in a Reds uniform. All 5'5 , 136 pounds of him. He would probably instantly become your favorite Reds player. :lol:

The fact also remains that every losing team Dusty has taken over he has led them to a winning season the following year.
A streak that's certainly in jeopardy here ...

Let's see ... Barry Bonds made quite a difference with the Giants. Surely his arrival had as much to do with the Giants' success as Dusty's did.

And his arrival with the Cubs also coincided with the first full year the team had Mark Prior and Carlos Zambrano in the starting rotation. Dusty then ran the team in the ground ... the Cubs were just as bad when he left as they were before he arrived.

I never claimed Bartman cost the Cubs the game. Media hype or not, when the players get asked questions about it year after year it has to weigh on their minds whether they admit it or not. The curse will always be in the back of everyones mind, players and fans alike until they reach or win a World Series. You don't see any of us Reds fans going into the Cubs threads and criticizing Sweet Lou for batting one of his most productive hitters lead off. You can find criticism with any manager's lineup.

There's not much to critcize there. Soriano has proven over his career that he is much more effective hitting leadoff. Yeah theoretically it might make sense to hit him in the 3-4-5 hole but he just doesn't produce as well when he's in those spots. That's a weak argument.

Media hype or not, when the players get asked questions about it year after year it has to weigh on their minds whether they admit it or not. The curse will always be in the back of everyones mind, players and fans alike until they reach or win a World Series.
I suspect the players chalk it up to silly media hype.

Again, you guys make much more of a fuss about "the curse" as most Cubs fans I know.

You don't see any of us Reds fans going into the Cubs threads and criticizing Sweet Lou for batting one of his most productive hitters lead off. You can find criticism with any manager's lineup.
Go back and read some of my criticism about Dusty when he was hired by the Reds. One of the things I mentioned then is that he spent half a season hitting Corey Patterson and Neifi Perez at the top of the order when they had the two worst OBPs in the lineup.

That was before the Reds signed Patterson, then (lo and behold) Dusty has him hitting in the leadoff slot on opening day. Almost like a gift from the baseball gods ... ;)

Even some Reds fans on here have questioned it. You're not?

There's not much to critcize there. Soriano has proven over his career that he is much more effective hitting leadoff. Yeah theoretically it might make sense to hit him in the 3-4-5 hole but he just doesn't produce as well when he's in those spots. That's a weak argument.

The argument was that I, or anyone else can criticize any manager's lineups, decisions, etc..... The point is it gets old when that's all you ever do in the Reds threads. It's a little different when it comes from a Reds fan, but when it's constantly coming from Cubs fan, and he's criticizing his former manager, then it looks and sounds like someone who has nothing but hard feelings toward Dusty. I don't remember those two constantly coming in and criticizing the lineups of Bob Boone, Dave Miley or Petey Mac. By the way, how long was Soriano ever been left in the 3-5 hole, and been given a chance to produce?