Duke program on the way out...

HT721

You guys really need to get over it. It was one of the greatest moments in sports history.

I don't think too many Clemson fans hold a deathwish for Tate George these days. I doubt USC fans care much about James Forrest. Most UofL fans don't have the first clue who US Reed is. Those guys' shots are replayed just as many times each NCAA season as Laettner's.

And I don't buy all the carping about the Timberlake stomp. Had UK won the game, nobody would even remember it. It's all a bunch of sour grapes that, sadly, two NCAA titles and an equally memorable NCAA win over Duke couldn't ease the pain of.

Just curious, you're a Steelers fan--how do you feel about the Cowboys? How do you think long time Cowboy fans feel about Pittsburgh?

Also a question for Deuce and 98: Duke is and has been the most hated college basketball team in the country for several years in polls--wouldn't it be natural for their to be a bunch of Duke haters in most fan bases? The memory of the Laettner shot just means there's more in UK's base. After all it wasn't just that it beat UK. That team had 3 Kentucky boys playing key roles for it and had led the program out of scandal back to national prominence with minimal talent and a fast, fun style. They were also defeated on the cusp of returning to the Final Four for the first time since the scandal. There isn't nearly as much venom directed at say, Michigan who beat UK the next season because UK made it to the Final Four and even though UK fans loved the 93 team it just didn't have the pull of the 92 bunch. If you're going to make fun of UK fans for who they like and dislike you should at least listen to their reasons for feeling the way that they do and not dismiss them--you asked we're telling you. Personally I don't like Duke but it has more to do with their overexposure than 1992. 1996 and 1998 exorcised those demons (errrr Blue Devils) for me much like 2004 and 2007 did for my feelings towards the Yankees.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Name another two high profile programs that have met that many times and played that many close games in the NCAA Tourney over the years. Just because you guys are in your 20's and you either weren't around or don't remember them doesn't mean they're no longer relevant to those that do.

UK has faced Michigan State in the NCAA about that many times in the past 10-15 years. Heck, there may even be a UK exit at the hands of Magic's MSU club somewhere down the line!

And using these matchups from '66, '78 and '80 is completely bogus. Sure, there are fans who have been around and recall those games. But I doubt very seriously they had any hatred for Duke before '92. Duke was just another team UK would occasionally run into for big games before '92, but in no way the object of UK fans' collective abhorrence the way it is now.

Just curious, you're a Steelers fan--how do you feel about the Cowboys? How do you think long time Cowboy fans feel about Pittsburgh?

We would still play the Starboys every three years up until the realignment, now it's every four years. And three SB meetings. For what it's worth, I have several very close friends/former roommates who are big-time Starboys fans, and we have done a pretty good job of antagonizing each other over the years.

I challenge you to check through the NFL season threads and pull up the ones from Starboys games. Even on a small scale you won't see those threads filled up with gloating Steeler fans after Starboy losses. If I posted in any of those threads, it likely was general observation if anything.

Also a question for Deuce and 98: Duke is and has been the most hated college basketball team in the country for several years in polls--wouldn't it be natural for their to be a bunch of Duke haters in most fan bases?

Find me another site, of a team that IS NOT a rival with Duke, where there is gloating after every Duke loss...

We would still play the Starboys every three years up until the realignment, now it's every four years. And three SB meetings. For what it's worth, I have several very close friends/former roommates who are big-time Starboys fans, and we have done a pretty good job of antagonizing each other over the years.

I challenge you to check through the NFL season threads and pull up the ones from Starboys games. Even on a small scale you won't see those threads filled up with gloating Steeler fans after Starboy losses. If I posted in any of those threads, it likely was general observation if anything.

That may be true on BGP but how about Dallas or Pittsburgh message boards?

That may be true on BGP but how about Dallas or Pittsburgh message boards?

I can't speak for any Dallas boards. I get on SteelersFever once in a while, but really BGP is the only message board I get on. Looking through some of the threads there, it seems most younger fans have it out for the Pats and Bengals. You'll have some old-timers who still carry a torch for the Starboys, but most Steelers fans spread it around equally between the AFC North teams.

I probably hate the Old Browns a lot more than any other team. But now that the New Browns are starting to make noise, I'm sure I can get that old-time feeling for them again. :D

Because one shot 16 years ago is the cause of hatred for Duke on this site...

That is one of the reasons probably. But also the fact that Duke was the team that was competiting with us for team of the 90's. I mean I think it bothers a lot of people that even though we had such a great memorable run from 96 to 98. We still might not have been the best team in the 90's. So Duke was our main rival for being the best team in college basketball, and you know how us UK fans want to be the Best at everything when it comes to basketball. So that shot, and the 90's run, I think has a lot to do with it.

That's pretty much been the rule around here for a while. If you don't agree with their point of view then you are viewed as an irrational ran. Not liking Duke is fun. That particular game in which many refrer to was etched in many young UK fans minds as thier first real memories of their Cats. I think it's what makes college basketball fun.

That is the way it seems around here. Arrogance will do you that way.

I think every UK fan would take DUKE's record. I love how UK fans hate them and Duke fans pay no attention and don't even recognize it as a rivalry game like the good ole wildcat faithful.

That's been my point all along. There is no rivalry, aside from jealousy there is no way to logically justify the hatred.

Find me another site, of a team that IS NOT a rival with Duke, where there is gloating after every Duke loss...

Try this one Deuce: Google University of Louisville Message Boards. Go to the first result and read the threads on the first two pages. You'll find 5 different threads either celebrating Duke's loss to Miami or disparaging Duke or the media's coverage of their program. I had the links posted but they've been deleted. An IU search doing the same thing found 4 different discussions of the Miami defeat of Duke mixed in with the 25 pages of Sampson discussion.