Belfry vs. Louisville Central 3A State Championship

iPapi

Who wins the title?  

230 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the title?

Well come down here and talk to some of our boys..I am sure they will show you some class, and as far as coaches go, ours without question is the epitome of class... We know all about using some clock.. that is what we do...You don't have to root for us, but some courtesy would be nice..

Pick who you want.. thats your right.. That's it.

I didn't think I was being disrespectful. If you took it that way, sorry. I just remember Belfry, Bell County, and some others that we played when I was in school and when your raised to play against teams that are your enemy, you don't really turn around and become a member of their boosters club. I have the right, and respectfully choose not to root for Belfry. If you prove me wrong, that's ok too. I just like good football. Hopefully, atleast you'll see a good game, regardless of who wins.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one is disrespecting Belfry, PG. We do feel, though, that those who base their opinion of this Louisville Central team on the game they played against Johnson Central may not have an accurate opinion. We also realize and respect the tradition and excellence of the Belfry program. But, we are also excited about the program that Coach Scroggins is building at Central, and proud of what he and this team have accomplished. That's not disrespecting Belfry, believe me. No one thinks Belfry is a light-weight.

No one is disrespecting Belfry, PG. We do feel, though, that those who base their opinion of this Louisville Central team on the game they played against Johnson Central may not have an accurate opinion. We also realize and respect the tradition and excellence of the Belfry program. But, we are also excited about the program that Coach Scroggins is building at Central, and proud of what he and this team have accomplished. That's not disrespecting Belfry, believe me. No one thinks Belfry is a light-weight.

True:thumb:

I am happy for LC. I am happy for any team that does well.. I am all about great football. I am expecting a battle Friday. I don't expect us to come there and just walk away with it. We are a great team with lots of respect for everyone we play... We take pride in our team.. and I hope that LC fans will step up and take pride in their team.. I can't wait till Friday. I am so excited. I wish LC all the luck. I hope their fans are as loud and proud as we are.. I am looking forward to a good game..

I didn't think I was being disrespectful. If you took it that way, sorry. I just remember Belfry, Bell County, and some others that we played when I was in school and when your raised to play against teams that are your enemy, you don't really turn around and become a member of their boosters club. I have the right, and respectfully choose not to root for Belfry. If you prove me wrong, that's ok too. I just like good football. Hopefully, atleast you'll see a good game, regardless of who wins.

Enemy?? I thought Breathitt was our enemy.. not FT. Thomas.. I usually pick enemies based on teams we play a lot. I don't dislike very many teams.. None from out west..

We've played Highlands 5 times.

In the 60s they came here twice during the playoffs and kicked our tails and went home. In 79 we beat them in the semifinals at their place. In 89 we went into overtime with them in the semifinals at their place and lost. In 1990 we beat them 38-7 in the Pike Co Bowl.

And thats it.

Lets get back to the game at hand.

And there is no reason to be offended by anyone picking against the Pirates. Heck, the poll is lopsided and I can't figure it out. This will not be a blowout, Central has a good football team and they are well coached.

FTBIGBIRD,

I know you have been looking for perspective on how good this Belfry team is, so I hope this helps. If you can remember some of those very good Belfry teams from the late 80's and early 90's, and how fundmanetally sound they were, the big debate in Pond Creek is about whether this is the best Belfry team of all time.

This is my last perspective on the general aura of the matchup:

I lived all of last year in Louisville and spent considerable time working day in and day out in the West End, Old Louisville, and Downtown areas. Without going too far into it, and without giving some personal experiences of people who I trained who were from those areas, just rest assured when I say I am fully aware of the Central Story, and to be where they are at is truly the epitomy of a rose in the middle of a briar patch. If Belfry wasn't playing them, I would definately be on the Central bandwagon just so these kids could have the OPPORTUNITY for a life changing moment, for many kids who need that moment. I am sure there was a bit of pity for Belfry in 2003 when they played for their first title, after so many years of being a great program without the justification brought by winning the title.

To be honest I have been utterly shocked with some of the predictions I have seen, especially those made on Saturday and Sudnay before anyone could even find out any info on Central, their playing style, their personnell, and so on. Bottom line, if Central wasn't a championship calibur team they would not be where they area at.

Here's the facts:

- Central will be the fastest and most athletic team Belfry has faced in a long time.

- If it isn't a sign of how many fellow Louisville people with no ties to the program are so excited for this team, imagine how they must feel wearing those Gold and Black jerseys doing something noone thought they could do?

- Central, for the first time this season, is playing on a winning streak. winning does wonder for the confidence, especially when you were playing St.X, Male, Highlands, et all.

-This is the only team in 3A with the size and talent to matchup with Belfry. The Pirates have simply looked like men amongst boys all season against other 3A teams, this week they play men.

- Belfry hsitorically makes mistakes when they palyf roa title. In 2003 and 2004 the Pirates should have won those games by a whole lot more than they ended up winning by, this is a fact that can't be ignored.

- The ONLY way to beat this Belfry team is to A) Shut down the inside runnigng ame and force them outside, and B) have a balanced offense that can move the ball running and passing. Central is geared to stop running teams, and they have seen the belly offense enough to not be shocked at what Belfry will throw at them, additionally, they have the speed needed to contain Belfry's outside running game. Offensively, central ahs an excellent QB who can throw the ball to very fast receivers, and they have a stable of solid RB's.

Belfry fans, we are in for a war Friday. If we make mistakes and play with anything less than our A-game, this could be ugly. Conversely, if Belfry plays their best ball I can't see Central beating us.

-

Does anyone think that the long trip to JC to play could have had any impact on the level that LC played at when they met?

I do.

Exactly.

Judging from their performances on their two long road trips, I would say that Central doesn't travel the distance very well. There is no reason to think that a team that played Manual and Highlands to the final minutes should get romped at Johnson Central and barely squeak by at Paducah Tilghman.

Practically at home this week, I suspect fans will see the real Central on Friday afternoon. Whether that's enough to win, we'll see.