Reds Broadcasters

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get tired of listening to Thom's criticism if he is such a great baseball mind why isn't he managing somewhere.:irked:

I'm glad a lot of other people see the same problem I brought up about Thom a while back. There's a difference in being knowledgeable, and going overboard trying to prove your knowledge. :rolleyes:

I'm glad a lot of other people see the same problem I brought up about Thom a while back. There's a difference in being knowledgeable, and going overboard trying to prove your knowledge. :rolleyes:

Funny thing is, I'd bet you'd find most of the things that Thom has complained about on BGP.

I like honest announcers but I tend to agree that the critical element has taken over the broadcast lately.

Sure sometimes it is appropriate, but it seems like every move is subject to critical comments.

Just as announcers should not be cheerleaders, they don't need to be hyper-critical either. It is one thing to point out that the pitcher has throw 10 straight balls and the batter (or manager) should normally take a pitch at 2-0 with the bases loaded............its another thing to keep harping on it after he knocks in 3 runs.

What does everyone think about the Reds broadcasters on Fox Sports Net? I thought I would like Brantley and Brenneman in the booth, but they just seem to be to critical of the players. In my opinion, broadcasters are there to announce the game...let the players play. I like Welch and Grande much better. Any thoughts on the subject?

I agree. The young Brennemen and Brantley really get on my nerves with their rants on individual players. I think they talked about how bad of a lead off hitter they thought Freel was the other night for 3 innings. I love Marty to death, grew up listening to him, but i having a hard time getting used to this combo on fox Sports Net. I enjoyed the break from them last night!

Did everyone hear Marty put Baseball Guy on the spot last night when he asked if there is a "double standard" after Phillip's viewing of his off-the-wall hit? He then said something like "and the next time Ken Griffey jogs down the line , WHICH HE ALWAYS DOES, are you going to take him out of the game?"

You don't get that type of challenging question very often in a pre-game interview.

Did everyone hear Marty put Baseball Guy on the spot last night when he asked if there is a "double standard" after Phillip's viewing of his off-the-wall hit? He then said something like "and the next time Ken Griffey jogs down the line , WHICH HE ALWAYS DOES, are you going to take him out of the game?"

You don't get that type of challenging question very often in a pre-game interview.

And that was appropriate for the pre-game given Griffey/EE/Phillips all have had times when they watched at home plate this year.

But I don't need them saying, "Griffey hits a two-hopper to second and jogs down the line like he always does and is out by 30 feet. Boy, how hard is it to run the ball out? I mean the second baseman could have kicked that ball and we need every base-runner since the Reds are down 7-1. I mean, my goodness the Reds just don't have a lot of hustle in them tonight. Oh by the way its 2-1 count to Dunn since I've just griped thru three pitches."

I would reather watch with no sound than listen to Grande and Welch. Brantly and TB RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I almost always do that. I use the mute and turn on Marty & Joe. I do that also when Billy Packer and a few others do the NCAA tourney.

Tom Brenneman's baseball skills have nothing to do with anything. He's been around the game his whole life. You have no right to question him.

Hey chief, last time I checked I have the right to question anyone that I want. Is this site not for debates? You have your opinion, I have mine, but I can question anything that I want to.

Hey chief, last time I checked I have the right to question anyone that I want. Is this site not for debates? You have your opinion, I have mine, but I can question anything that I want to.

You have no right to question him with the arguements that you have been using. A person doesn't have to be a former player to be a great announcer. And I believe that he did the World Series last year. He must be doing something right.

You have no right to question him with the arguements that you have been using. A person doesn't have to be a former player to be a great announcer. And I believe that he did the World Series last year. He must be doing something right.

Where in any of my posts did I say he was a "bad announcer"? All I said was I disagreed with his criticism of the players. I simply stated my preference. I don't care how much baseball the guy has seen or how much he knows the game. His job is to announce the game, not complain about how bad the players are and what they're doing wrong.