Should Semi-State be on neutral field?

Jumper_Dad

Should Semi-State be at neutral site?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Should Semi-State be at neutral site?

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, FrankNicodemus said:

Instead of neutral sites, Why NOT make these games (that require a long travel time) moved to Saturday....  I don't care if its an afternoon or evening game on Saturday (school decides).  Guess what next week during the State games at Kroger Field games will be played on Saturday so don't give me, based on tradition they should be played under the lights on Friday night.  Heck Bell County pulled a fast one on Highlands in 1992 to make us travel down and play on Thursday night (Thanksgiving night)!

Maybe throw a distance measurement in there, for example:  if your opponent is traveling further than 150 miles you must move the game to Saturday.  You still get the home field advantage but you don't get an unfair advantage making your opponents and their fans have to travel so far after a school/work day on a Friday night.

How about that wrinkle of a suggestion....

Semi Finals are always on Thanksgiving weekend.  No one is in school on Friday (even Thursday for that matter).  Playing on Saturday is a moot point from a travel standpoint.  

In the old system the hosts of the Semifinals was determined by which side of the state they were on...that was flawed also.  There are no universal 1 way fixes all aproaches.

Everyone was up in arms over Boyle and Corbin meeting in the 3rd round...guess what with the old system, there were games that decided the State winner played well before the championship.

The new system allowed for 2 teams from the same district to play for the championship last year (Male vs BE)...In years past that would have been a 2nd round playoff game!

• Like 2

I think Neutral site is entirely reasonable. And it doesn't have to be a college. Play CCH vs PT in Etown, about 2.5 hours for each team. Play it at a high school with a turf field. Play Highlands vs Cooper at Thomas More or Holmes or Scott or something. Play Campbellsville v Pikeville in London.

There's too many turf fields, too many decent stadiums, for kids to have to ride a bus 5 hours because of a wonky formula. 

11 hours ago, theguru said:

I like it the way it is.  However, determining home field by RPI vs. something like Calpreps is a travesty. 

This, I hate travel and we often get the worst of it being located so far West but when we host and get to cook that pig its all worth it!

• Like 2

IMO all the playoff games should be neutral site. If you are the better team then you should be able to prove it away from your home stadium and now it is anyone's game. Plus it gives the kids a way to get to play in different atmospheres I.e. small college or bigger college stadiums. Works pretty well for a state to the southwest 😉

Here is the way I see it. Semifinals and finals at the very least should be neutral locations with ample seating and parking. Every team still practicing in the state deserves to have the same conditions. In Ohio all rounds past the 2nd round are at neutral sites. 

A school that plays the best and beats the best should have homefield advantage throughout the playoffs. Currently, the system is still flawed.  Adjust the RPI to accurately rank teams I.e. SOS, out of state opponents.  I would also recommend to open RPI in third round to the entire state instead of East/West. This should avoid the Male/FD, LCA/Mayfield, Boyle/Corbin in the 3rd round. This would give us the best semi-state, state final possible, IMO.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, FB Head said:

A school that plays the best and beats the best should have homefield advantage throughout the playoffs. Currently, the system is still flawed.  Adjust the RPI to accurately rank teams I.e. SOS, out of state opponents.  I would also recommend to open RPI in third round to the entire state instead of East/West. This should avoid the Male/FD, LCA/Mayfield, Boyle/Corbin in the 3rd round. This would give us the best semi-state, state final possible, IMO.

I wish there was a button to love a post instead of just like it. These are such good and easy ideas that could improve the system so much. I would want to keep home field advantage because it gives schools a chance to show off their community to other people who may otherwise never visit there.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, AgainstTheGrain said:

Teams have been traveling long distances for years and teams also earn those home games by winning their regular season games. Having neutral sites does nothing and only penalizes the teams that work hard to win games. This is a non issue that people are trying to make an issue. If you don't want to travel then find ways to win games. 

Or is it an unbelievably easy district.

18 hours ago, theguru said:

I like it the way it is.  However, determining home field by RPI vs. something like Calpreps is a travesty. 

Works even better than before for your alma mater Guru, as well as your favorites north on Dixie Highway.

9 hours ago, FrankNicodemus said:

Instead of neutral sites, Why NOT make these games (that require a long travel time) moved to Saturday....  I don't care if its an afternoon or evening game on Saturday (school decides).  Guess what next week during the State games at Kroger Field games will be played on Saturday so don't give me, based on tradition they should be played under the lights on Friday night.  Heck Bell County pulled a fast one on Highlands in 1992 to make us travel down and play on Thursday night (Thanksgiving night)!

Maybe throw a distance measurement in there, for example:  if your opponent is traveling further than 150 miles you must move the game to Saturday.  You still get the home field advantage but you don't get an unfair advantage making your opponents and their fans have to travel so far after a school/work day on a Friday night.

How about that wrinkle of a suggestion....

That has never been an issue for the Bluebird faithful.