Should Semi-State be on neutral field?

Jumper_Dad

Should Semi-State be at neutral site?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Should Semi-State be at neutral site?

• Yes
    • No

Home field is what every team plays for and if you take that away what does it matter.  Plus dividing up the gate between the schools. Then you divide it three ways or if you use the field for semi and state KHSAA gets the money.

Last Friday Boyle/Corbin sold 5,200 in advance at 10 a ticket that is pretty good money for those two schools after expenses.

Edited by theguru
Rule 13

8 minutes ago, Thakattack said:

Home field is what every team plays for and if you take that away what does it matter.  Plus dividing up the gate between the schools. Then you divide it three ways or if you use the field for semi and state KHSAA gets the money.

Last Friday Boyle/Corbin sold 5,200 in advance at 10 a ticket that is pretty good money for those two schools after expenses.

Boyle won every game and is possibly the best team in the state, they played for it and won every game yet will still travel this week. Luckily for them it's a short trip to Franklin County.

On 11/20/2023 at 11:12 PM, Jumper_Dad said:

Every year, just like this year, there are discussions about long bus rides for this team or that team. 

Not even considering the length of travel, should Semi-State games be played at neutral sites?

I'd think at this point there are more than enough turf fields around the state that field conditions wouldn't be an issue. Have 20 or so fields ready for the 12 games, and chose the fields that would make the most logical sense between the two schools. 

I feel like it's been discussed before on here that several states, do play Semi-State at neutral sites. 

No

I wouldn’t be opposed to it, but I think it would be easier, and make more sense if there were 4 classes instead of 6.

In a perfect world, I’d go to 4 classes, get rid of the RPI, have a more geographical playoff system, play the semis on Saturday at 2 centralized neutral fields, 4 games each, and make the semis an event like the Sweet 16 and Championship Weekend.

I’m sure it’ll never happen. But as many have stated, by the time you get to the semis, most of the time it’s a tossup who the better or more deserving team really is. Many are undefeated and a flawed RPI is the deciding factor. 

On 11/22/2023 at 7:28 AM, Bluebirdbath said:

No I’m not telling you that any team didn’t work hard, what I’m saying, and you missed, you obviously don’t have a dog in this fight. You just want to change the rules so people don’t have to drive as far either way, it isn’t broken, quit trying to fix it. End of Story. 

There are 4 teams undefeated in a class and they are basing homefield on a terrible system. It is 100% broken. 

• Like 1

On 11/22/2023 at 10:36 AM, Breds82 said:

Hector touch a nerve?!!! I like the old school way (as I’m very much a traditionalist) but someone had to vote on and approve the move to RPI. Beechwood was playing at Mayfield and vice versa long before RPI came into play. NewCath had to play at Pikeville in 2000 for the semis. And Paintsville came up the following year. It’s going to be ok 

I honestly don’t care enough to have a nerve to touch.  

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Thakattack said:

If you take homefield advantage away I promise you teams will still play hard on Friday nights, not a player or coach is thinking about not doing their best based on homefield advantage in the playoffs. They play to win. 
The gate/ticket money is the only valid point I could see, but I don’t see why the teams can’t split that and the host school takes concessions. 

Rule 2 reads in part:

2. No disparaging, taunting, or boastful comments--especially between opponents trying to intimidate each other. This includes, name calling or personal attacks toward any member, username, team, or school. Additionally this includes a pattern of posts that inflames or incites other posters (i.e. trolling or gaslighting). Also, keeping in mind the youth of our student athletes, excessive "bashing" of high school athletes is prohibited. Do not comment on the manner in which another member has posted, or any violations you find in their posts. Such public remarks will be considered a violation under this rule.