Should Semi-State be on neutral field?

Jumper_Dad

Should Semi-State be at neutral site?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Should Semi-State be at neutral site?

• Yes
    • No

8 hours ago, okie1 said:

Semi Finals are always on Thanksgiving weekend.  No one is in school on Friday (even Thursday for that matter).  Playing on Saturday is a moot point from a travel standpoint.  

In the old system the hosts of the Semifinals was determined by which side of the state they were on...that was flawed also.  There are no universal 1 way fixes all aproaches.

Everyone was up in arms over Boyle and Corbin meeting in the 3rd round...guess what with the old system, there were games that decided the State winner played well before the championship.

The new system allowed for 2 teams from the same district to play for the championship last year (Male vs BE)...In years past that would have been a 2nd round playoff game!

Most probably it would have been a third round game. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pi said:

I think Neutral site is entirely reasonable. And it doesn't have to be a college. Play CCH vs PT in Etown, about 2.5 hours for each team. Play it at a high school with a turf field. Play Highlands vs Cooper at Thomas More or Holmes or Scott or something. Play Campbellsville v Pikeville in London.

There's too many turf fields, too many decent stadiums, for kids to have to ride a bus 5 hours because of a wonky formula. 

Where would you  play Beechwood vs Mayfield? 

59 minutes ago, hector607 said:

The semi's should absolutely be moved to neutral site. It makes no sense to determine home field advantage based on RPI or record, given how different everybody's schedule looks. 

Hey Hector607, it’s the Team and Schools reward for the hard work they put in all season and winning the games they won. IF your son was involved, would you want him stripped of that privilege? The last game for many to dress and play on their home field? Seriously! 

18 minutes ago, Bluebirdbath said:

Hey Hector607, it’s the Team and Schools reward for the hard work they put in all season and winning the games they won. IF your son was involved, would you want him stripped of that privilege? The last game for many to dress and play on their home field? Seriously! 

It is the semi's...everyone has won all year. There is really no difference knowing your last home game the regional finals or semis, either way you will play your last one. I mean honestly is this your debate? There are 4 teams undefeated in 4A and you're going to tell me 2 of those teams didn't work hard to earn a equal playing field? Or Mayfield deserves homefield over Beechwood (and vice versa other years)? 

• Like 1

No I’m not telling you that any team didn’t work hard, what I’m saying, and you missed, you obviously don’t have a dog in this fight. You just want to change the rules so people don’t have to drive as far either way, it isn’t broken, quit trying to fix it. End of Story. 

• Thanks 1

Hector touch a nerve?!!! I like the old school way (as I’m very much a traditionalist) but someone had to vote on and approve the move to RPI. Beechwood was playing at Mayfield and vice versa long before RPI came into play. NewCath had to play at Pikeville in 2000 for the semis. And Paintsville came up the following year. It’s going to be ok 

• Like 1

On 11/20/2023 at 11:30 PM, theguru said:

I like it the way it is.  However, determining home field by RPI vs. something like Calpreps is a travesty. 

I agree on the RPI. They put too much weight on playing any 6A school. There are some 2,3,4 and 5A schools that are much better competition but you get less credit on RPI for playing them than a 1 or 2 win 6A school. 

• Like 2

I can see, it is an 8 hour bus ride from PT to Belfry, we have seen that matchup in the finals. And with Belfry's falling enrollment we could definitely see a Belfry Mayfield matchup in the future, another 8 hour ride. One of the downsides to RPI.

44 minutes ago, Valmet said:

I can see, it is an 8 hour bus ride from PT to Belfry, we have seen that matchup in the finals. And with Belfry's falling enrollment we could definitely see a Belfry Mayfield matchup in the future, another 8 hour ride. One of the downsides to RPI.

I wish there were more playoff games being played on Saturdays, this is one reason why.

• Like 1