Conner Head Coaching Position

Got to speak to Coach Trosper personally and I for one am thrilled about him getting this job. This is a great fit for him personally. It will be a lot less stressful and also he will be able to spend more time with his family and young daughter as he won't be as far from home anymore.

On a positive note though, He had 68 kids show up for the team meeting which is definetly a good sign. But for those doubting him because of his record at Holmes, think about this:

1) Holmes is a very tough place to coach anything because no matter how many athletes you have, if they don't play as a team, you'll never win anything. I PERSONALLY know Dave put in his, sweat, tears, and blood for those young men at Holmes but not all of them were willing to return the favor and his record reflects that. Remember, a coach is only good as the players efforts.

2) Trosper has coached at not only the high school level, but also the collegiate level as well. With all the hard work many of the young men at Conner are willing to put in, we will all start seeing many of them going to better colleges as Coach T knows what it takes to get to the next level, and has the right contacts to help them achieve their goals.

3) His style didn't really fit Holmes, which is why he had to go to the option. He is a Boone guy, so his style is more of a power game. Combine that with some of the things he used at Holmes, and this could very well be a good run for a couple years for the Cougars.

4) Last but not least, Trosper is a great guy and will help all of these young men not only on the football field, but also in the classroom. Any young man or lady who has ever had a problem, EVEN AT HOLMES, has been comfortable coming to him over a lot of other people because he was willing to sit and help them out, so don't knock the guy unless you personally know him or as Bulldogs51 said, have walked a mile in his shoes.

Good luck Dave.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coach Trosper is a Boone guy. So IMO we'll see a little more of a power game, combined with a little option, IF COnner has the right athletes and personnel to run it.

Stud,

You make some excellent points in the above two posts regarding Coach Trosper, however, I see some contradiction with the big "IF" statement. I agree that Holmes kids may have not put forth the same effort as Trosper. But it sounds like, according to your posts, that Coach implemented two offenses that were not successful - based on his personnel.

Implementing the option may have not been the wisest choice of offenses for Holmes. Let me give you a few reasons why? (The offense is a GREAT offense but I do not think it fits with the Holmes program).

1. The offense demands that you have a very INTELLIGENT and DISCIPLINED quarterback to read the defense and make quick decisions in the heat of the play. i.e. should I keep? should I give? should I pitch? What are my reads on each play?

2. The offense demands that you have very INTELLIGENT and DISCIPLINED ofensive lineman. OL must be able to read the DL and excecute first level or second level blocks based on their initial techniques/alignments.

3. The offense demands that you have very INTELLIGENT and DISCIPLINED running backs. On every play, the paths of the FBs are different and those who do not get the ball "must" act as if they are getting it.

4. The offense is not "fun".

5. The offense is "boring" to practice.

Colerain makes it work because:

1. They have a great coach how ran it for years.

2. He has ran that offense for 16 yrs at Colerain and struggled with it at first.

3. He has 100 kids on the varsity roster, thus allowing 2-platooning. Holmes has barely half of that and their kids learn offensive and defensive positions.

4. Colerain's middle school program, Little Cards, run it and the kids come into the varsity program ready for it.

5. Colerain is successful year in and year out - so the kids BELIEVE in it.

I think you have to implement an offensive and defensive philosophy based on your personnel.

Coach Trosper is a Boone guy. So IMO we'll see a little more of a power game, combined with a little option, IF COnner has the right athletes and personnel to run it.

From the KY Post article announcing his hiring:

"Offensively, we want to be as balanced as we can be. The one thing I know is I've always been an option (offense) guy and I'll continue to be an option guy."

From the KY Post article announcing his hiring:

"Offensively, we want to be as balanced as we can be. The one thing I know is I've always been an option (offense) guy and I'll continue to be an option guy."

The kids will be much more disciplined at Conner. I do think HIS philosophy will fit with Conner's program and their good kids. My point above was more of a general comment about adapting to personnel. Conner was very big last year. How many of those lineman will he have coming back.

I know that the underclassmen, current sophomores and several of the freshmen are of a large breed!!! Not to forget those to return as next years seniors. Hopefully, they are conditioning now in anticipation of what is to come in the future. Outlook is good!!

I know that the underclassmen, current sophomores and several of the freshmen are of a large breed!!! Not to forget those to return as next years seniors. Hopefully, they are conditioning now in anticipation of what is to come in the future. Outlook is good!!

I know they have mandatory lifting and conditioning on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays and when they can on Wednesdays and Fridays.

Several players have mentioned a large increase over last years numbers in the weight room and a new intensity. I've been told if somebody does not show up, the players look them up and want to know why. That's a good sign.

Several players have mentioned a large increase over last years numbers in the weight room and a new intensity. I've been told if somebody does not show up, the players look them up and want to know why. That's a good sign.

And you think that wasn't done last year or the years in the past?

That is what they have to get back to, accountability among the players. The Seniors of the 2002 team that started a short run of good Cougar teams required that from all of the players. The 2 senior groups that followed them in '03 and '04 demanded the same. For whatever reason the last 2 groups did not demand the accountability and the results speak for themselves. This is great news and reason for cautious optimism about the coming season.

GO COUGARS!!!

And you think that wasn't done last year or the years in the past?

I know it wasn't. A number of players have told me it was rare for accountability from other players to happen last year.

I prefer to dwell on the positive. It seems the players have learned a hard lesson and are in the weight room in much larger numbers with renewed vigor. Keep it up Cougars! You are your brother's keeper. Push each other to improve today and it will show in the fall.