Highlands 32 Covington Catholic 21

Everyone is seeing why Charlie Noon needs the ball in his hands. Playing QB and ducking and running when the pass wasn’t there was all good and well but he is a true playmaker and I believe Highlands made the right decision to move him around the yard. He is going to play more and more and even on Defense as the year progresses. Did I see him make the tackle on the last kickoff the other night? He is fascinating to watch. Must be a pure joy to coach this young man. 

1 hour ago, TheDeuce said:

If he is not outside the tackle box and the ball doesn’t make the line of scrimmage, a receiver being in the area is irrelevant.

Rule 7-5-2 EXCEPTION 2 now permits a player to purposefully throw an incomplete forward pass without warranting an intentional grounding penalty provided the passer is outside of “the pocket” (lateral boundary of the free-blocking zone) and the pass reaches the neutral zone or the extension of the neutral zone beyond the sideline.

https://www.nfhs.org/articles/revised-intentional-grounding-chop-block-rules-headline-2022-high-school-football-rules-changes/

Thank you for posting that! The high school rule used to be different and did not allow for an intentional throw away by the QB even when outside the tackle box. There had to be an intended WR in the area or it was grounding. Do you know when they changed that rule for high school?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Thank you for posting that! The high school rule used to be different and did not allow for an intentional throw away by the QB even when outside the tackle box. There had to be an intended WR in the area or it was grounding. Do you know when they changed that rule for high school?

This year. 

• Thanks 2

- It’s perfectly reasonable to question play calling. It happens probably 2-3 times a year with Andy Reid and Kyle Shanahan and EE certainly isn’t on that level. You can be still be a really good coach and still be critiqued in areas.

- I didn’t mind running this offense last year. I thought it gave us the best chance to win once Pitzer was out and honestly a year away. My only complaint was using a 135 lb RB to iso 200 lb+ linebackers on QB runs. Preston Agee should have been a 1k receiver last year and not asked to be basically a single wing QB. 

- I think the reason we continue to run this is a) EE doesn’t have a 2nd back he trusts, so in order for Leen to not get 35 carries a game, he’ll run Pitzer. b) he knows we’re not good enough at the skill positions to get into shootouts and play that game script (we should be next year with these guys back). So EE tries to shorten the game and not turn the ball over and win with defense. 

1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

The rule just changed for this season. 

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

I went backed and checked the film on the safety because I've heard several folks from the Cov Cath side of things saying they didn't think it was a safety. It's obvious from the film that Pitzer had eyes on receiver #11 Ben McEvoy for about 8 frames worth of film, and it's clear that Pitzer's intent was to throw the ball to McEvoy, so I don't think he was simply throwing the ball away, but quoting the NFL rule on intentional grounding, "It is a foul for intentional grounding if a passer, facing an imminent loss of yardage because of pressure from the defense, throws a forward pass without a realistic chance of completion. A realistic chance of completion is defined as a pass that is thrown in the direction of and lands in the vicinity of an originally eligible receiver."

McEvoy was at about the 5 yard line when Pitzer was releasing the ball from his hand, and the ball bounced only a couple of yards from Pitzer after he threw and was subsequently tackled...it hit probably 8 or 9 yards away from McEvoy, so it's a tough argument to say there was no grounding.

One thing I can say, regardless of the situation, is that from watching the game live and from watching the officials in the film, the white cap, the line judge, and the back judge all had their eyes on the quarterback the entire play, so from an officiating point of view, none of them were looking at receivers to be in a position to make an accurate call as to whether or not there was a receiver in the vicinity. I'd say they ended up with the right call, but realistically, it wasn't made by their own accurate observation of the game.

s1OqQL0.jpg

kJOoPDe.jpg

It was ruled forward progress stopped In the EZ.

This may have been discussed, and I have missed it or forgotten it, but let’s say Highlands gets the job done the rest of the way as do the Colonels. 

When is the earliest they could face each other again - 1st or 2nd round? 

when is the latest they could face each other - 3rd or 4th round?

Because I love the days of hold where the regional final went through Ft. Thomas, but how cool would a semifinal game be. This may not even be possible, but it would be pretty cool. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TheConch said:

This may have been discussed, and I have missed it or forgotten it, but let’s say Highlands gets the job done the rest of the way as do the Colonels. 

When is the earliest they could face each other again - 1st or 2nd round? 

when is the latest they could face each other - 3rd or 4th round?

Because I love the days of hold where the regional final went through Ft. Thomas, but how cool would a semifinal game be. This may not even be possible, but it would be pretty cool. 

I believe if they both take care of business they’d meet where they always used to, round 3. 

62CD994E-9522-47A1-90A4-DB6726454302.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1