Highlands 32 Covington Catholic 21

10 hours ago, The Oracle said:

EE:

"They are never going to expect that I'll run a quarterback sneak! That's why they call it a sneak. Because the other team never ever suspects it. Even if you run it a bare minimum of 32 times a game every single game".

CCH's play calling was uninspired, boring and predictable as could be. They had to have had a dozen penalties in the game. A team not being disciplined is a coaching issue. Especially after a whole extra week off to get tuned up.

EE needs to realize that he is coaching 5A and not 2A and cut the iron man football crap out. There is no damn reason that in a 5A school that every starter who gets injured should mean losing a starter on the offensive and defensive sides of the ball both.

Tonight I watched a head coach phone one in. Disappointing.

How quick the natives turn on the ole ball coach.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

I guess it’s a good thing Highlands didn’t get rid of Sphire earlier this year when some here alluded he wasn’t the answer.

It’s a long climb back to the top. He has made changes that take time for sure. First and foremost was getting these kids into the weight room and changing the previous regimes apparent philosophy for the players. They have gotten leaner, stronger and faster. That is what makes teams better. Speed kills! Plain and simple….aka Charlie Noon. 
Second, get back to competing and beating CCH. Yes, only 1 game and who knows how down CCH is at the moment but last nights win is for sure better than a loss. Because of CCH’s inability to capitalize on 3 turnovers inside Highlands what, 30 yard line, cost them the game. So yes, we will take this win but let’s not all think that Highlands is back just yet. That comes in December if and when #3 is accomplished! And then you start planning for the next season to build on the previous. That’s when we, Highlands faithful, aka FTM 😂 will know it was the right decision. Just my opinion. Speaking of, saw the painter last night and has a great conversation with him. He even said it’s nice to see that Highlands kids are starting to realize what this is all about. 

#beatcolonels

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So does this win for Highlands and a win against Cooper make Highlands the number 1 team for district? So Cov Cath would be at 2? 

This used to mean they would meet up again in round 3 in playoffs but I saw some people saying HHS & CCH would potentially meet up in the Semifinals now? So confused on how the playoffs work now. 

Well I attended this slobberknocker and saw a lot of good and definitely some things that need work.  Number 1 thing for me was the heart, attitude and hustle shown by the kids last night.  That has been missing for several years and was nice to see.  Keep working boys, this is just one game and next week is just as important if not more.  Noon as I have said all year is special and he showed out big time.  Kudos to Burleigh on kickoffs last night, well placed in corner and helped stifle the return game as well.  Seems special teams are starting to become special again.  Hosea is my number 1 back before and after the game.  Runs hard and with a purpose, okay gaining 4 rather than trying to hit a home run on every carry.  O and D lines, kudos to the guys for bringing it last night.  Well done.  Lastly, the defense for bringing the wood, really like the way Robinson and Dunn carry themselves on the field, they are the leaders.

Now for work, still not keen on the play calling.  Some nice plays called and some leave you scratching your head.  Benke is a big kid and needs to be coached up to stand tall in the pocket and deliver the pass.  Confidence is a big thing for a QB at any level and I think this would help in that process.  I like many am concerned about cornerback play.  Cushion was way too much on the late CCH touchdown drive.

Now on to the most important game of the year.  Keep working, hustling and believing and good things will come your way.

• Like 3

As much as I am excited about the win last night I think about last year’s Regular season game when it was a display of 2 vanilla offenses not showing much to thrill anyone and then Cov Cath turning around in playoffs dismantling the Birds…..I know I know there were a lot of other factors in it BUT my point is, did EE try to do it again by playing a very vanilla playbook and if not for the safety and Noon kick return he almost snuck away with a win. This playoff game if it happens is going to be in my opinion a whole different Cov Cath team to compete against.

I’ll take this win and enjoy it for awhile though.

#GOBIRDS!!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Breds82 said:

How quick the natives turn on the ole ball coach.

It’s utterly ridiculous, I wish I had the power to have those complaining meet up with Eddie and discuss the offense & play calling. I’d paid to see the reality check.

Maybe I’ll call the school and start a fundraiser. 

Do you want Dave Wirth back calling bubble screen right, bubble screen left? 

• Like 5

Luke Schneider!!!! Remember this name. Most overlooked player on the field. Continues to get open on his routes, when His number is called which isn’t enough imo, he makes plays. And the most underrated part of the game is watching this kid make blocks and never giving up when he’s not the main target. His downfield blocking is 2nd to none. Kid has heart and grit and it shows. Kid needs to get more touches. He’s what Highlands football is all about. Keep it up young man!!!

Highlands has some really nice TE’s. Here’s hoping they don’t underutilize them because there’s one in the making that they can’t let slip away. Just sayin!!!

• Like 2

Bottom line to me..... Highlands seems to have better players now than 3-4 years ago. The kids are quicker and have bought in to Coach Sphire's program. A faculty member told me how different the kids LOOK physically. They are in a good place right now.

1 minute ago, 9068 said:

Bottom line to me..... Highlands seems to have better players now than 3-4 years ago. The kids are quicker and have bought in to Coach Sphire's program. A faculty member told me how different the kids LOOK physically. They are in a good place right now.

I definitely see a difference physically. 

• Like 1

Like I said the birds were going to embarrass the colonels...if they never had 5 turnovers, game would have been a blow out. Still pretty embarrassing when you cause 5 turnovers and still lose. It's time to give Highlands their respect.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FrankNicodemus said:

As much as I am excited about the win last night I think about last year’s Regular season game when it was a display of 2 vanilla offenses not showing much to thrill anyone and then Cov Cath turning around in playoffs dismantling the Birds…..I know I know there were a lot of other factors in it BUT my point is, did EE try to do it again by playing a very vanilla playbook and if not for the safety and Noon kick return he almost snuck away with a win. This playoff game if it happens is going to be in my opinion a whole different Cov Cath team to compete against.

I’ll take this win and enjoy it for awhile though.

#GOBIRDS!!!!

I was wondering when someone would bring up the vanilla offense thought. If it was done in this game, it's a mistake this year. Winning this game was too important in setting up who you play in round 3 to not put everything you have into winning it.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Karen said:

Like I said the birds were going to embarrass the colonels...if they never had 5 turnovers, game would have been a blow out. Still pretty embarrassing when you cause 5 turnovers and still lose. It's time to give Highlands their respect.

Respect? Didn’t basically 50% of people predict that Highlands would win, even though they hadn’t beat CovCath in years? Sounds like people were giving Highlands plenty of respect going into this one.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TEDFROMVILLAHILLS said:

Luke Schneider!!!! Remember this name. Most overlooked player on the field. Continues to get open on his routes, when His number is called which isn’t enough imo, he makes plays. And the most underrated part of the game is watching this kid make blocks and never giving up when he’s not the main target. His downfield blocking is 2nd to none. Kid has heart and grit and it shows. Kid needs to get more touches. He’s what Highlands football is all about. Keep it up young man!!!

Highlands has some really nice TE’s. Here’s hoping they don’t underutilize them because there’s one in the making that they can’t let slip away. Just sayin!!!

Great post but threatening to lose one?🤣See ya

• Haha 1