Highlands 32 Covington Catholic 21

EE:

"They are never going to expect that I'll run a quarterback sneak! That's why they call it a sneak. Because the other team never ever suspects it. Even if you run it a bare minimum of 32 times a game every single game".

CCH's play calling was uninspired, boring and predictable as could be. They had to have had a dozen penalties in the game. A team not being disciplined is a coaching issue. Especially after a whole extra week off to get tuned up.

EE needs to realize that he is coaching 5A and not 2A and cut the iron man football crap out. There is no damn reason that in a 5A school that every starter who gets injured should mean losing a starter on the offensive and defensive sides of the ball both.

Tonight I watched a head coach phone one in. Disappointing.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, The Oracle said:

EE:

"They are never going to expect that I'll run a quarterback sneak! That's why they call it a sneak. Because the other team never ever suspects it. Even if you run it a bare minimum of 32 times a game every single game".

CCH's play calling was uninspired, boring and predictable as could be. They had to have had a dozen penalties in the game. A team not being disciplined is a coaching issue. Especially after a whole extra week off to get tuned up.

EE needs to realize that he is coaching 5A and not 2A and cut the iron man football crap out. There is no damn reason that in a 5A school that every starter who gets injured should mean losing a starter on the offensive and defensive sides of the ball both.

Tonight I watched a head coach phone one in. Disappointing.

@The Oracle going strong to the hoop!

39 minutes ago, theguru said:

Spitballing, I think it would come down to some matrix of CCH and HHS with Cooper being 3rd either way.  I got that info third party so I welcome anyone to set me straight. 

I was under the impression that a three-way tie came down to RPI; but again I’m not sure: that seemed to be the case in 2020 and 2021. But, KHSAA handbook says it comes down to some weird combination of comparing each teams best four wins-not counting the tied teams.

Would love for someone with better comprehension skills to decipher this for me, however.

What a game!  I picked a good one as my first Highlands vs CovCath game!

Love CovCath's stadium.  It has good site lines and easy in and out.  Good crowd and atmosphere tonight!

Met alot of awesome people tonight.  Grateful for that!

As for the game, I was surprised at how Highlands Defense and in particular Highlands DLine stood up to and in the end got the better of the CovCath Oline.  The CovCath QB had alot of pressure on him.  I didn't expect that.  I expected smash mouth football early and often. 

CovCath got in a nice rhythm in the second half throwing the ball and Highlands couldn't stop #4 from catching it on that little out route.  But they seemed to not go there after the punt return for a TD anyway.

#55 LB/OT played a really great game.  He was all over the place.

For Highlands, I was really impressed with their defense.  I knew Noon was really good and he didn't disappoint.  Highlands QB played well overall, but on the INTs simply should have pulled it down and just ate those 2 or 3.

Big District Win for Highlands!  Congrats! 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Purple88 said:

What a game!  I picked a good one as my first Highlands vs CovCath game!

Love CovCath's stadium.  It has good site lines and easy in and out.  Good crowd and atmosphere tonight!

Met alot of awesome people tonight.  Grateful for that!

As for the game, I was surprised at how Highlands Defense and in particular Highlands DLine stood up to and in the end got the better of the CovCath Oline.  The CovCath QB had alot of pressure on him.  I didn't expect that.  I expected smash mouth football early and often. 

CovCath got in a nice rhythm in the second half throwing the ball and Highlands couldn't stop #4 from catching it on that little out route.  But they seemed to not go there after the punt return for a TD anyway.

#55 LB/OT played a really great game.  He was all over the place.

For Highlands, I was really impressed with their defense.  I knew Noon was really good and he didn't disappoint.  Highlands QB played well overall, but on the INTs simply should have pulled it down and just ate those 2 or 3.

Big District Win for Highlands!  Congrats! 

Glad you enjoyed it @Purple88. Bummed I didn't have a chance to say hey and I'm definitely bummed you didn't get to see the Colonels win, lol.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CCHFC said:

- Offensively, it’s tough to run the ball when you are minus one or two every time you hand off. We have to either a)push crack on the safeties/overhang player with the receiver. or b) throw RPO’s. We were at a numbers disadvantage running the ball all game and though we no doubt have good players, we aren’t talented enough to overcome it. 

- Cov Cath isn’t an RPO team, but Highlands should be RPO’d to death on defense. Specifically on these glance routes or 5-step posts that it seems like everyone runs now since Highlands linebackers were attacking downhill from seven yards, often with a running start, with a lot of soft coverage behind. We kind of started to mix this in a bit with Braylon Miller (who had a great game) in the 2nd half and had some success on “now” or “smoke” screens, but there needed to be more. We needed to throw them out of this attacking defense if we wanted to run the ball more to shorten the game.

- We need to be more balanced on first downs. In the 2nd half when we had to, Pitzer had a lot success throwing against off coverage. More short and intermediate throws on early downs please and less designed runs with a banged up QB and we should see an uptick in offensive production. 

- Defensively, we have to do a better job  getting off of blocks, but overall I thought we played well enough to win, especially with the five takeaways. Highlands scored 32, but there was a safety, a special teams TD and one to ice the game with a minute left.

- Lastly, Willie Rodriguez definitely helps tonight, but I don’t think we pull it out if he played. 

Mesmerizing.

• Haha 2