Highlands 32 Covington Catholic 21

2 hours ago, 1992Rebel said:

Was the White hat the difference here. Not sure the safety call was the right call. Ball landed at running backs feet. Changed the game. Refs should t have that power. At that point it was anyone’s game. 

The 5 TOs should have been enough of a game changer. 

• Like 1

Some thoughts after sitting and thinking on this one for a little bit...

- Highlands came in looking better from the word go. No denying that one. Turnovers provided a lot of opportunities for Cov Cath but they were unable to really capitalize on them, aside from the fact that the turnovers prevented an opportunity to score for Highlands. This one could have been much more lopsided had Geisler not turned over twice and had Benke not been intercepted 2 or 3 times.

- Cov Cath's offensive line was out of rhythm and looked bad. They're missing TE Rodriguez, who's out for the season, more than likely. Center Max Lawrie apparently had some sort of shoulder/neck/back injury that had him questionable for the game last night, which is why they moved Thomas Schramm over to center. It's never a good situation having a new center (one that hasn't played much or any center previously) starting in a game. Ben Reeves and Seth Jones were also wearing boots on injured ankles for the majority of the previous 2 weeks. Cov Cath's O-line was really, really banged up and it showed. I think Pitzer was sacked like, what, 4 or 5 times, and threw the ball away another 2 or 3 times (including the safety) because he had defenders up in his grill right away. Leen was hit in the backfield a lot too. Really wish the line had been healthy.

- I can say, I haven't seen too many seasons under Coach Eviston where we've had many guys on the line who only played one way. We may be lacking guys with the size to play line, but I'd still like to see the team work towards at least trying to play more linemen one way only. Like someone said earlier, we are a 5A team, and that should be doable.

- Pitzer has to be able to get rid of the ball quicker. Period. Also, credit to Highlands' defensive backfield on covering our wide receivers well.

- Cov Cath struggles on the defensive front. They have all season. Lawrie and Reeves were making some strides on the D-line side of things in the Dixie, Beechwood, and Cooper games when it came to filling holes and shedding blocks, so again, it hurt us that those two weren't at 100%. Any team that doesn't try to jam the ball up the middle against Cov Cath is missing out on obvious yardage.

- Noon is a hell of a baller. Plain and simple. Hosea...he hits the hole hard without trying to dance. Sometimes that makes for a play that gets stuffed at the line, but oftentimes, even if there was contact at the line, he fell forward for 4+ yards. Every team should want a running back like that.

- Braylon Miller is a really good athlete. Glad we have him on our side. Oliver Link is going to be really good. Glad he's only a sophomore.

- Willie Rodriguez...yeesh, wish we would have had him tonight.

- We ran too many QB draws and screen passes. Seems like that's been a common theme in the last 3 seasons. Not sure what the answer is there, but it's something I think every single person in the stands on the Cov Cath sideline comments on. Wish that wasn't the case, but it sure is. I don't think I've seen a receiver run a slant since we had Michael Mayer.

Congratulations to Highlands. One of the thing that makes this rivalry a great one is the fact that, even after 15-game and 9-game win streaks, the other team still has the ability to come out and keep the game tight and keep the other team honest, or even punch the other team in the mouth. Hate it that my boys were the one who took a licking tonight. I hope we get a rematch in the playoffs.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WishboneCity said:

I was under the impression that a three-way tie came down to RPI; but again I’m not sure: that seemed to be the case in 2020 and 2021. But, KHSAA handbook says it comes down to some weird combination of comparing each teams best four wins-not counting the tied teams.

Would love for someone with better comprehension skills to decipher this for me, however.

2 hours ago, theguru said:

Spitballing, I think it would come down to some matrix of CCH and HHS with Cooper being 3rd either way.  I got that info third party so I welcome anyone to set me straight. 

Wishbonecity the rule you are referring to is the old rule they use to have for tiebreakers. They no longer do that for tiebreakers, it is the RPI that decides it. Last year Cooper, Conner, and Highlands all finished tied for second in the district. Cooper and Conner got the 2 and 3 seeds for the playoffs though, since they had a better RPI than Highlands. So Highlands was the four seed last year.

Theguru is right Cooper is basically locked in as the 3 seed for the playoffs even if they beat Highlands next week. Since Cooper would still be behind Highlands and CovCath in the RPI. Now if Cooper beats Highlands it most likely would make Highlands become the 2 seed in a three way tie, because CovCath would most likely jump back up above Highlands in the RPI if Cooper beats Highlands next week. 

So I know people mentioned how CovCath now will have to play Fredrick Douglas in round two. That’s not exactly true, because if Highlands loses next week to Cooper.  Highlands would most likely end up as the 2 seed instead and would see FD in the second round. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Sweeperboy said:

No Highlands coach since Dale has beaten CovCath. 
Congrats Coach Bob and staff…

Weinrich's Birds beat Wirth's Colonels twice in 2014 and Weinrich's Birds beat Eviston's Colonels twice in 2015.

Since the beginning of the series in 1968, Coach Walz is the only head coach at Highlands to never lose to Cov Cath, and as of tonight, every Highlands head coach has beaten Cov Cath since the series started.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, futurecoach said:

Huh? Didn’t the last coach beat CovCath his first two years after replacing Dale? Beat CovCath in 2014 and 2015. 

Correct.

2014 - Highlands (Weinrich) beats Cov Cath (Wirth) 47-7
2014* - Highlands (Weinrich) beats Cov Cath (Wirth) 37-34
2015 - Highlands (Weinrich) beats Cov Cath (Eviston) 14-10
2015* - Highlands (Weinrich) beats Cov Cath (Eviston) 44-22

* Playoffs

• Thanks 1