Open Job: Lincoln County

theguru

Lincolns Record under the last 3 head coaches: 

Mike Settles: 22-43  (1-4 in Playoffs) 6 seasons

1-9 2008, 2-8 2009

4-7 (0-1 Playoffs) 2010, 5-7 (1-1 Playoffs) 2011, 5-6 (0-1 Playoffs) 2012 , 5-6 (0-1 Playoffs) 2013 

Travis Leffew: 10-34 (1-2 Playoffs) 4 Seasons 

3-7 2014, 3-9 (1-1 Playoffs) 2015, 1-10 2016, 3-8 (0-1 Playoffs) 2017 

Spencer Crutchfield: 21-23 (2-4 Playoffs, 2 District Runners Up) 

7-5, (1-1 Playoffs) 2018, 3-8 (0-1 Playoffs) 2019, 5-4 (0-1 Playoffs) 2020 (Covid Year), 6-6 (1-1 Playoffs) 2021 

I wanted to show these numbers for comparison purposes only. I saw a post earlier that said "Lincoln has been a bust for 20 years" so I began researching. Coach Crutchfield was hired in May of 2018. He kept Levi Rogers from Coach Leffews staff, but changed his role to defensive coordinator. He hired Daniel Cooper, who was the current Offensive Coordinator/Asst Head Coach at Lincoln Middle. Both assistants were a part of the improvement in the Lincoln program it appears. 

Both assistants have received good comments on this thread, and when you talk to anyone in the community, it is understandable why. Both seem to be respected as coaches by their peers. Hiring either of these will make perfect sense, as others have noted, they have been in Lincoln Football their entire lives it appears. 

I will disagree with the post that said Lincoln has been a bust. Yes, they struggled under Settles, and even worse under Leffew, but the Crutchfield era put Lincoln on the map in a hurry. Both assistants had a hand in that. 

Josh Jaggers is a great guy, and a good football coach. Brett Baierlein is well respected in the Garrard community. Boone Goldsmith comes from a coaching legend in Eastern KY. Levi Rogers was a great player and came back to coach for the program. Daniel Cooper played for the program, earned his name very early in coaching, and is teaching currently for the district.  You see what I'm saying?  Lincoln is going to hire a good coach y'all. I can make a case for every name mentioned. Let's stop with the "kids won't play" or "the program won't exist" scare tactics. 

My thoughts for the day. I have to go to work! 🤣

• Like 2

Ok so I’ve missed some stuff, Josh Jaggers name is interesting, if he has applied or is going too Lincoln better take a long look at him, I think it would be a fantastic hire, Josh is a great guy and will get kids to play and put everything he has in developing these kids, bring in Levi as OC and Perry as DC goodness could be a very good staff there. If I’m Lincoln I’m giving what needs to be given and hiring Jaggers. 

Jaggers, Goldsmith, Rogers, Cooper, Baierlein. All quality candidates. Bottom line, once a coach is selected...THE BEST THING FOR THE KIDS AND PROGRAM IS TO SUPPORT THE COACH.

Many a program and teams have struggled because the ones that wanted a different coach don't support the guy that got it. 

At the end of the day, all of this is for the KIDS! Make it work for their sake. And, that support will go a long way, regardless of who the next coach turns out to be.

Keep this in our back pocket, maybe we get @Mr.Network to take over and he can hire all these guys as his assistants.  Let @theguru decide if he wants to be DC or OC.   🙂

Go Patriots!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, ChiefSmoke said:

Jaggers, Goldsmith, Rogers, Cooper, Baierlein. All quality candidates. Bottom line, once a coach is selected...THE BEST THING FOR THE KIDS AND PROGRAM IS TO SUPPORT THE COACH.

Many a program and teams have struggled because the ones that wanted a different coach don't support the guy that got it. 

At the end of the day, all of this is for the KIDS! Make it work for their sake. And, that support will go a long way, regardless of who the next coach turns out to be.

Keep this in our back pocket, maybe we get @Mr.Network to take over and he can hire all these guys as his assistants.  Let @theguru decide if he wants to be DC or OC.   🙂

Go Patriots!

#GoBigRed stoked to see who ultimately gets the job! I don’t think we can go wrong with any of those guys. Although I’d like to see Jaggers get it and fill his staff with the two who are also candidates, would be really good for everyone involved. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ChiefSmoke said:

Go Patriots!

I have to agree with Chief, whoever gets the job needs the support and an equal opportunity to do the job at hand.  If people/coaches work to progress and become better each day, does it matter what shirt they wore when they were 16?  Did Nick Saban wear an Alabama T-shirt when he was 16? 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, ChiefSmoke said:

Go Patriots!

I am not qualified but DC with the hoodie.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mr.Network said:

I’ll be your agent. How many hoodies do you want, and will you need a laundry service with that?

I like doing my own laundry.

And I think the starting pay for a head high school football coach should be 100k.  Let me know Mr.Network. 

• Like 1

This was addressed earlier and I can't support it enough, but everybody needs to be on board with whomever the hire works out to be for Lincoln County. What I'm about to address isn't so much opinion as it is fact IMVO.

Lincoln County just graduated what arguably could be said was one of the most talented, deepest classes in in who knows how long which included who could be considered one of the most talented players in the school's history in Clayton Davis. He was one of those types of players that are game and season changers and would be for most any program in any scheme. 

With that class & that player, Lincoln finished 6-6 on the field. They had a Covid loss vs Pulaski County, but I don't count those. Why those count as a loss is crazy to me, but that's for another discussion. 

The reason I bring all of this up is that I think the "Big Red Nation" needs to make sure to understand that there is likely going to be some tough sledding for whomever the new hire is due to aforementioned class, led by Davis and also adding into the fact that their schedule is extremely tough. Let's remove Davis from the field this year and how many games does Lincoln win? Two or maybe three? Lincoln isn't a program that is immune that that, either. There are many many programs across the state where you remove one player and their entire season is different. That is something that, for whatever reason, is way underplayed in high school football.

Somerset who Lincoln beat last year is a prime example that the worst of the worst seasons can, do and will happen to anybody.  They have been as much of a force in the 2A scene over the last several years as any program, and they've also had two years in that time frame where they've won just one game.

• I'm assuming Danville is back on the schedule next year? When was the last time they beat the Admirals? 
  • Bell County returns several of their key skill kids and they are always good up front. The excitement I'm hearing out of Log Mountain for next years team is as high as ever.   
  • Pulaski County is absolutely loaded for bear next year. Coach Hines is extremely high on his team and it's potential next year and rightfully so. 
  • Southwestern isn't going anywhere, another team that Lincoln lost to and it was a home loss. 
  • East Jessamine will be much improved from their 1-9 team of last season, their lone win coming against Lincoln. 
  • Add in their tough district foes of Wayne, Knox Central, Corbin and they are 3-11 dating back to 2019. 
  • Rockcastle County they are 2-1 against in that time.

Lincoln could absolutely shock everybody next year and just completely flip the script next year, but when you look at who they've played which is as tough and competive schedule as you will find for their respected class along with the successes they had and didn't have, I just dont think it can be stressed enough that whomever the next hire works out to be everyone just needs to support them. Like most things in life, nothing ruins high school football programs more than finger pointing & the blame game. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Calico Jack said:

This was addressed earlier and I can't support it enough, but everybody needs to be on board with whomever the hire works out to be for Lincoln County. What I'm about to address isn't so much opinion as it is fact IMVO.

Lincoln County just graduated what arguably could be said was one of the most talented, deepest classes in in who knows how long which included who could be considered one of the most talented players in the school's history in Clayton Davis. He was one of those types of players that are game and season changers and would be for most any program in any scheme. 

With that class & that player, Lincoln finished 6-6 on the field. They had a Covid loss vs Pulaski County, but I don't count those. Why those count as a loss is crazy to me, but that's for another discussion. 

The reason I bring all of this up is that I think the "Big Red Nation" needs to make sure to understand that there is likely going to be some tough sledding for whomever the new hire is due to aforementioned class, led by Davis and also adding into the fact that their schedule is extremely tough. Let's remove Davis from the field this year and how many games does Lincoln win? Two or maybe three? Lincoln isn't a program that is immune that that, either. There are many many programs across the state where you remove one player and their entire season is different. That is something that, for whatever reason, is way underplayed in high school football.

Somerset who Lincoln beat last year is a prime example that the worst of the worst seasons can, do and will happen to anybody.  They have been as much of a force in the 2A scene over the last several years as any program, and they've also had two years in that time frame where they've won just one game.

• I'm assuming Danville is back on the schedule next year? When was the last time they beat the Admirals? 
  • Bell County returns several of their key skill kids and they are always good up front. The excitement I'm hearing out of Log Mountain for next years team is as high as ever.   
  • Pulaski County is absolutely loaded for bear next year. Coach Hines is extremely high on his team and it's potential next year and rightfully so. 
  • Southwestern isn't going anywhere, another team that Lincoln lost to and it was a home loss. 
  • East Jessamine will be much improved from their 1-9 team of last season, their lone win coming against Lincoln. 
  • Add in their tough district foes of Wayne, Knox Central, Corbin and they are 3-11 dating back to 2019. 
  • Rockcastle County they are 2-1 against in that time.

Lincoln could absolutely shock everybody next year and just completely flip the script next year, but when you look at who they've played which is as tough and competive schedule as you will find for their respected class along with the successes they had and didn't have, I just dont think it can be stressed enough that whomever the next hire works out to be everyone just needs to support them. Like most things in life, nothing ruins high school football programs more than finger pointing & the blame game. 

Absolutely, couldn’t agree more. I’m on board with any of the names mentioned, but if it happens to be someone else then so be it, support the program and help move the program in the right direction. I have my picks of who I’d like to see, but at the same time I just want someone who will be involved with kids and teach them not only the game of football but the right way to do things, that all Carries us forward in life, support is a huge factor no matter the coach, looking forward to seeing who ultimately ends up with this job, big time class coming in from the middle school who absolutely thrashed Boyle County in the salt River conference, should be exciting next few years for Lincoln!