Open Job: Lincoln County

theguru

46 minutes ago, LethalPG said:

This will be my last comment on the situation.  I don't care who they hire, but as a former/proud alum that played on some of the most successful teams in school history it is incredibly sad that Coach Rogers never received a formal interview.  Not only, was he one of the most storied players in school history he has been apart of the program for the last decade as a coach in various roles including offensive and defensive coordinator.  Even if they had no intention on hiring him, that process could've proved valuable for him moving forward, and was merited based on the work that was put in (and results).  If not for a couple injuries to key players, last year's team would've finished with 8 or 9 wins.  To close, best of luck to the next coach, but it will be an uphill battle as various area schools are improving their facilities and investing in their programs and Lincoln County still can't produce a feasible practice facility surface for their players.  The grass quickly turns to hard rock dirt throughout the season, but we want to talk about the pride and tradition.  Invest into the young men that wear the red and white.  Death Valley is a special place on Friday nights, and I hope the program will continue to improve.      

You hit the nail on the head! This whole situation was handled as poorly as possible. The administration is completely to blame. The lack of communication between the administration and current coaching staff is beyond ridiculous. The kids are the most important part of this whole situation and I feel like they were thought about last in every decision that was made by the administration. Good luck to whoever is hired as the next head coach. With the surrounding area schools in Garrard, Boyle, and Pulaski Counties pouring money and time into the kids, I would say the high school transfer portal is completely open at Lincoln County. 

57 minutes ago, NotMattJones said:

As far as I'm told, this job search is over. Josh Jaggers is the hire, just waiting on the formality. 

I think this was handled as poorly as possible. I hate it for the kids and for the two coaches who had to go through this process as things were dealt with secretly. Guys, it's a formality and a courtesy to interview assistant coaches who apply for a position. Rogers and Cooper didn't have to get the job, that's fine. But to not interview those two men is just poor leadership. This entire situation has not set well with me and will not with the people I've spoken with, but that's business. 

I wish the best of luck to Lincoln and hope they have success this season! It's a traditional place and the progress of the last 4 seasons needs to continue to grow. I wish the best for Jaggers as well! 

I'm just skeptical. 

Unfortunately, this seems to be indicative of the way more & more administrations handle the hiring process.  An administrator has the right (and duty) to hire the coach they want, and with whom they are comfortable.  However, it seems that if a coach on the current staff applies for a job, they should get the courtesy of an interview (especially if they are coordinator level). At the very least, a conversation would seem appropriate.

As fewer administrators are former coaches, maybe they underestimate the value of the interview process for coaches in their career development.  They get to see how the process goes, what questions are asked, what qualities are valued by admin, etc.  Also, even if you already know who you want, it is possible someone else is really impressive... and if another principal you know is looking for a coach, it might lead to a conversations about the guy you interviewed, opening another opportunity for him.

I will say this, if Josh Jaggers is the guy, he is a solid hire.  He is a good coach, and will do well at Lincoln, IMO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Calico Jack said:

Jaggers has NOT officially accepted the job. I don’t know any details of if has been offered or waiting for a decision over the weekend, but there is absolutely nothing that’s official about him accepting the job.  I know that for fact. 

4 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

This is correct.

Agree with both and I reached out to Coach Josh Jaggers for comment and received:

“I have not accepted the Lincoln County job, and if I had or ever made a job change, that I would notify our players at LaRue County and administration first. There is no official acceptance of me taking the job.”

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, theguru said:

Agree with both and I reached out to Coach Josh Jaggers for comment and received:

“I have not accepted the Lincoln County job, and if I had or ever made a job change, that I would notify our players at LaRue County and administration first. There is no official acceptance of me taking the job.”

Being tight with @theguru is some times a double edged sword. Lol 

Best of luck to Lincoln County, LaRue County and Coach Jaggers... whatever happens. 

Also.. congrats to me... 500th reply on the 2022 Open Job: Lincoln County thread. I think this means automatic induction into the BGPreps Hall of Fame. Our jackets are royal blue & red. Would be honored if @Mr.Network would do my induction speech. We go back to 1980 and this is a Lincoln County moment... 100% 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I will say this, I hope Josh Jaggers don't wait the last minute and then turn down the job like he did Danville. That's not good for him in the future if he applies for other jobs IMO. Lincoln County is being patient as possible with him but he needs to give them an answer so they can move forward or move on. 

15 minutes ago, Statsdontlie said:

I will say this, I hope Josh Jaggers don't wait the last minute and then turn down the job like he did Danville. That's not good for him in the future if he applies for other jobs IMO. Lincoln County is being patient as possible with him but he needs to give them an answer so they can move forward or move on. 

The issue last year with Danville is I know Josh stated from the very beginning that with him now being certified in H/PE that he wanted to know he’d be running an in school weight program like Danville once had when he was there and like Boyle County has all day long. That guarantee couldn’t be made, so ways parted.  People have to do what’s best for them and get what they want. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Calico Jack said:

The issue last year with Danville is I know Josh stated from the very beginning that with him now being certified in H/PE that he wanted to know he’d be running an in school weight program like Danville once had when he was there and like Boyle County has all day long. That guarantee couldn’t be made, so ways parted.  People have to do what’s best for them and get what they want. 

This is correct.

@Statsdontlie Jaggers gave Danville a list of terms they needed to meet in order for him to take the job. DHS took their time getting back to him on whether or not they could meet his terms. So what may have been perceived in Jaggers 'waiting to the last minute and then turning down the job' was actually Danville taking a long while to answer Jaggers about the terms he required of them.

Tough to knock a coach for waiting to hear back on whether or not the school he interviewed with was going to give him what he asked in order to work there.

• Like 1

Just before resigning, Spencer Crutchfield appeared before the school board and asked for certain improvements. The board was overwhelmingly acceptable to his request. 

Now, they are moving forward with a feasibility study to determine whether to add on to the existing field house or build a new one near the practice field, which is going to be upgraded as well. 

Other than replacing the home side bleachers, adding some visitor bleachers, putting a second floor on the pressbox, and paving the running track (twice), the football stadium is the same as it was when built in 1974. 

It is my understanding that field turf will be considered as well, and I know for a fact that local people were willing to help fund it a few years ago, but the uproar over the closure of McKinney Elementary School made spending much money on athletic facilities a non-starter.

The school is creeping up on 50 years of age, and the gym is two years newer than that, but the decision makers at the time did a very good job of building a high school and gymnasium that have weathered the years and still feel modern and sufficient. 

69B26470-5295-4C5F-BFE3-1393F5CACE10.png

• Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Mr.Network said:

Just before resigning, Spencer Crutchfield appeared before the school board and asked for certain improvements. The board was overwhelmingly acceptable to his request. 

Now, they are moving forward with a feasibility study to determine whether to add on to the existing field house or build a new one near the practice field, which is going to be upgraded as well. 

Other than replacing the home side bleachers, adding some visitor bleachers, putting a second floor on the pressbox, and paving the running track (twice), the football stadium is the same as it was when built in 1974. 

It is my understanding that field turf will be considered as well, and I know for a fact that local people were willing to help fund it a few years ago, but the uproar over the closure of McKinney Elementary School made spending much money on athletic facilities a non-starter.

The school is creeping up on 50 years of age, and the gym is two years newer than that, but the decision makers at the time did a very good job of building a high school and gymnasium that have weathered the years and still feel modern and sufficient. 

69B26470-5295-4C5F-BFE3-1393F5CACE10.png

That's pretty great news for the school district!

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, ChiefSmoke said:

Being tight with @theguru is some times a double edged sword. Lol 

Best of luck to Lincoln County, LaRue County and Coach Jaggers... whatever happens. 

Also.. congrats to me... 500th reply on the 2022 Open Job: Lincoln County thread. I think this means automatic induction into the BGPreps Hall of Fame. Our jackets are royal blue & red. Would be honored if @Mr.Network would do my induction speech. We go back to 1980 and this is a Lincoln County moment... 100% 

We’re here today to honor an average high school quarterback, but one who turned out to be a great coach and an even better man.

You are probably saying to yourself, “Wait a minute this isn’t a roast, why is he saying the honoree was an average quarterback?”

Well, the truth is that I have a rare home video from our sophomore junior varsity game in 1980, and while it shows that he was average, it shows that I was below-average……

In summary, for years and years of honest, transparent, and insightful posting, capped off by leading the site’s users on the unlikely quest for 500 posts about a school’s coaching search, when the issue seemed dead, I present this Blue Jacket and framed Hall of Fame membership certificate to my friend, and yours @ChiefSmoke!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

If this Josh Jaggers is the one kin to Marty, then he'd be a good one. Last time Lincoln was good at football was the 1990's. Guess who was here then, old Marty Jaggers. Man he was a good one.  I always liked those teams.  

I do know Lincoln has been down for several years. Reading through these messages has me wondering what people consider as successful Lincoln football. It sure ain't what we've seen the last decade plus. Fresh blood may no be a bad thing no matter who it ends up being.