Mayfield/Western Kentucky Tornadoes 12-10-21

Tigerpride94

I know there are probably several Bird Nation folks on here so if you don't have a kid in the school system you might not have seen this message here is ways you can donate in Ft Thomas.....mainly the opportunity to drop stuff off at the Central Office or the Northern Kentucky Cooperative for Educational Services at 5516 East Alexandria Pike, Cold Spring, Ky.

Here is the message:

Dear FTIS Family,

By now, many of you have seen the devastation left by tornadoes last evening in Western Kentucky, particularly in Mayfield.  This week, the Fort Thomas Independent Schools will be partnering with other local school districts and emergency service organizations to support impacted school systems and communities.  We are collecting a number of items that are of immediate need in the region.  Please consider any item on the list regardless of location, however we are suggesting specific items by school:

HHS

Water or New Winter Coats

HMS

Toiletries/Personal Care Items (E.g. toothbrushes, toothpaste, soap) or Games/Toys

JES  

Baby Supplies or Socks

MES

New Blankets or Water

WES

New Towels/Washcloths or Disinfectant Wipes

* any item on this list may be dropped off at the Central Office (28 North Fort Thomas) between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. OR at the Northern Kentucky Cooperative for Educational Services at 5516 East Alexandria Pike, Cold Spring, Ky.

Each school will send additional details regarding collection methods and logistics over the next couple days.  Items may also adjust as we learn more about the needs of the communities impacted.  We know that each family has unique circumstances but, if you are able to, please consider supporting the needs of our fellow Kentuckians and communities.  Thank you all for your incredible generosity and support. 

Sincerely,

Fort Thomas Schools Team

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To all Bluegrass Preps Followers - On Friday night I was at a basketball game in Greenville Ky. The game was called off near the end of the 1st quarter due to the possibility of an upcoming tornado.. We were sent to a safe place and after about 20 minutes was told the game was cancelled. Everyone left wondering what might transpire later in the night. I spent the night with a relative 10 miles away from Bremen which was hit. We only had some high winds where we were. The next morning I could not believe what had transpired through the night.  The devastation of the weather that had occurred was hard for me to even believe. I lived in Graves Co. several years ago. My Mom now lives on the outskirts of town and she was not affected. My Aunt lives in town and only had roof damage to her house. I simply was shocked to learn that the tornado had destroyed Mayfield, did serious damage in Bremen and hit Bowling Green hard.

My heart has been heavy since Saturday morning.  I know that God is in control and people will do what they have to do to pull their lives back together. I ache especially for the families who lost loved ones.  I ache for the families that lost their home and everything they own.  I ache for those who do not have electricity or water.  Mayfield's HS colors are Red/Black but the work ethic in that town is very Blue Collar. The community is a close knit community. People are kind. They love football and competition. They now will have to compete in a whole different matter. There is no doubt they will overcome this tragic event.

I am thankful for anyone who has been able to do something for the city.  I am hearing of some amazing stories of those who have gone there with supplies.  I just spoke to a student who said that he and his Dad went to Mayfield yesterday and took 10,000 bottles of water. That is Awesome. Many schools are asking to fill up busses with donations.  People will give money.  But how much is enough?  I don't think we will ever give too much.  Team Kentucky will do everything possible to help this hurting people.  And most importantly, the prayers of God's people are being lifted. God hears them all. 

Please consider how you can help.  Everyone can do something.  Anything is better than Nothing. And don't forget about those in Bremen who lost loved ones and possibly Bowling Green and other areas. The state of Kentucky is a special place. I am proud to be a Kentucky boy. I know that in the upcoming days, we all will do what we can to help those in need.  Thanks for being a friend!!!

• Like 6

• theguru changed the title to Let's all help Mayfield
  • Colonels_Wear_Blue changed the title to Mayfield/Western Kentucky Tornadoes 12-10-21

Just heard that the Beechwood truck filled in one day and is on the way down.  A second one is getting filled. Ft.  Mitchell and other NKY communities are really coming together.  Good to see people coming out to help when such a tragedy occurs.  Hope it helps ease some of the pain and devastation.

• Like 2

I checked incoming weather midday Friday.  Decided going to my mothers in southern Marshall county would be safer (she has a basement).  My house in mayfield isn’t far from the candle factory, so I’m glad I was gone (no damage).  Today was my first time to drive thru town.  Doesn’t seem real.  So many are suffering.  Some cleanup has started, but still mostly focusing on search and rescue.  I fear the body count will continue to rise the further we get along in cleanup.  So many structures are either a pile of rubble, or there is no pile because the wind carried it all away.  I hope I never have to see something like this again in my lifetime.

• Like 2

This is EXACTLY what HBC Pastor Paul Gibson told us yesterday. $ helps the most right now. PLEASE donate.... even a little will help. PLEASE share with others. This is the BEST way to help people that have suffered and continue to suffer through a horrible tragedy. They NEED us to do this. Please do what they NEED!!
From Mayfield HS Principal, Billy Edwards:
Right now we are @ capacity now n donations of food, etc. this is a direct link for monetary donations. Spread the word. This goes straight to MISD families
May be an image of text that says 'WKEC CALL TO ACTION Be a Helper WESTERNKY TORNADO RELIEF FUND WAYS TODONATE FUNDS TO THE STUDENTS AND EDUCATORS Rise! GoFundMe: https://gofund.me/77f6d21 Mail Checks to: WKEC Attn: Tornado Relief 201 Hogancamp General Services Building Murray State University Murray, KY 42071 Domestic Wire Instructions: Receiver Bank FNBB Receiver ABA 065403370 Beneficiary Bank Farmers Bank and Trust Company Beneficiary Account#- 083901773 Beneficiary- West Kentucky Educational Cooperative Beneficiary Account- 15-262-7 All donations collected by this account through WKEC will be given directly all school districts impacted. #UNITEDWERISE'

My neighbor/insurance agent - who is from Western Kentucky organized a truck.  Here was the list requested to be donated.

Socks

white tee shirts

feminine hygiene

adult diapers

cleaning supplies

pillows

pillow cases

towels

T paper

P towels

cases of water

gal of water

non-perishable food

winter clothes

blankets

• Like 1

The UK Athletics Redcross telethon raised  3,031,241 during the 4-8 hour telethon period. Just shows what can happen when everyone comes together. Tons of former UK NBA basketball Players donated as well, even Enes Kanter Freedom who never played a game with UK. That equals three million and thirty one thousand, two hundred forty one dollars.

• Like 1