Mayfield/Western Kentucky Tornadoes 12-10-21

Tigerpride94

I just wanted to check in and tell all on here that my family and self all are safe and learning how to cope with the day to day to day challenges this diaster presents.  We had a generator from the go and that has made our quality of life much better than it has for many. Not a whole home gen but a 7,000 kw one that backfeeds into our electric box once you throw the electric main. We were also fortunate being a few blocks out of the debris field so while we had damage, that damage is nothing like what you are seeing on tv.  Our biggest challenge is drinking water and water to flush the toilets.  The tornado knocked out 2 of the cities water towers, the water plant and sewage plant.  The other big issue for me is keeping gas for the genset but a couple stations are now up and pumping gas with generators.  Support at all levels has been mind bending.  Water and all other essential supplies have started pouring in from communities far and near like the help from Ft. Mitchell and Ft. Thomas, and local communities like Paducah and Murray.  Schools like Beecchwood and Tilghman, Highlands and UK, Murray and U of L, ect.  There are also many out of state folks here helping from all over the nation.  The national guard and arm forces, there are more soilders down here right now than at Ft. Canpbell.    They dug 2 massive wells in 4 days and are back today in a attempt to get water flowing again.  There are utility companies from all over the US that have sent crews and FEMA is air flighting generators for people non stop and said they could get 3,500 generators here.  The airplanes comming and going bringing in supplies is non stop.   The roadways are full with convoys of humvees and heavy equipment.  The federal response from FEMA and relief organizations is huge.   I tried to get food yesterday and not a single restaurant will take your money and they will give you as much as you want.  National food chains to out of town food trucks are everywhere and  not a single one will take your money.  There are more food choices here right now than we have every even had and they are mobile, like Chick-fil-A, ect.  This is a horrible tragedy and it will have us down for a long time but the good is everywhere here in they recovery effort.  Thank all you for your prayers and to the many that have provided  help in otherways.  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Toothpick said:

I just wanted to check in and tell all on here that my family and self all are safe and learning how to cope with the day to day to day challenges this diaster presents.  We had a generator from the go and that has made our quality of life much better than it has for many. Not a whole home gen but a 7,000 kw one that backfeeds into our electric box once you throw the electric main. We were also fortunate being a few blocks out of the debris field so while we had damage, that damage is nothing like what you are seeing on tv.  Our biggest challenge is drinking water and water to flush the toilets.  The tornado knocked out 2 of the cities water towers, the water plant and sewage plant.  The other big issue for me is keeping gas for the genset but a couple stations are now up and pumping gas with generators.  Support at all levels has been mind bending.  Water and all other essential supplies have started pouring in from communities far and near like the help from Ft. Mitchell and Ft. Thomas, and local communities like Paducah and Murray.  Schools like Beecchwood and Tilghman, Highlands and UK, Murray and U of L, ect.  There are also many out of state folks here helping from all over the nation.  The national guard and arm forces, there are more soilders down here right now than at Ft. Canpbell.    They dug 2 massive wells in 4 days and are back today in a attempt to get water flowing again.  There are utility companies from all over the US that have sent crews and FEMA is air flighting generators for people non stop and said they could get 3,500 generators here.  The airplanes comming and going bringing in supplies is non stop.   The roadways are full with convoys of humvees and heavy equipment.  The federal response from FEMA and relief organizations is huge.   I tried to get food yesterday and not a single restaurant will take your money and they will give you as much as you want.  National food chains to out of town food trucks are everywhere and  not a single one will take your money.  There are more food choices here right now than we have every even had and they are mobile, like Chick-fil-A, ect.  This is a horrible tragedy and it will have us down for a long time but the good is everywhere here in they recovery effort.  Thank all you for your prayers and to the many that have provided  help in otherways.  

Thanks for sharing all that TP, it is heartwarming. 

• Like 1

I tried to send this from my phone but service is iffy to say the least.  I went to get water at Mayfield High School and when I got there several of the volunteers said we have somthing you may want, Beechwood water.  They led me to pallets of water taken off a BW trucks.  First off I needed water bad and 2nd ot was BW water which held higher meaning to me.  Thanks to any and all of my friends who up there, it is greatly needed and appreciated.  While I was getting my BW water several trucks labeled Franklin Simpson Football pulled up with former FS Head Coach Timmy Schlosser in the lead truck.  IMG_7907.thumb.jpg.c974cf65d6f27ad64640ea585dd46537.jpg

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Toothpick said:

I tried to send this from my phone but service is iffy to say the least.  I went to get water at Mayfield High School and when I got there several of the volunteers said we have somthing you may want, Beechwood water.  They led me to pallets of water taken off a BW trucks.  First off I needed water bad and 2nd ot was BW water which held higher meaning to me.  Thanks to any and all of my friends who up there, it is greatly needed and appreciated.  While I was getting my BW water several trucks labeled Franklin Simpson Football pulled up with former FS Head Coach Timmy Schlosser in the lead truck.  IMG_7907.thumb.jpg.c974cf65d6f27ad64640ea585dd46537.jpg

Thanks for sharing all this. I got a lump in my throat as I read how so many are coming through with support. I love that some Beechwood water made it to you.

• Like 3

Thanks for the update Toothpick.  I'll be continuing to pray for you and your loved ones and community.

I made my first ever trip to Mayfield (and Princeton) yesterday.  We were able to take substantial financial donations and give to various churches and individuals in the area.  The devastation of it all is just mind-blowing.  I've never seen such widespread damage like it in my entire life.  It's such a heartbreaking scene that I'll never forget.  We are hoping to return shortly after Christmas.

It was also so good to see SO MUCH relief pouring into the area.  The Amish were at every cleanup site we visited, in both Mayfield and Princeton.  Very few people organize, work, help, & love like the Amish.  I'm in awe of them in so many ways.  A bunch of church organizations were there.  SO MANY national and local businesses were very present.  Various groups were there preparing free meals for anyone that wanted to eat.  It was equal parts heartwarming and heartbreaking.  So much destruction, but so much compassion at the same time.

One gentleman shared with us a statement that I will remember more than anything.  He's sixty-five, and he and his wife got in their bathroom (thankfully), while the tornado ravaged their home.  He said, "In fifteen seconds, I stood in my bathroom helplessly as everything I'd worked my entire life for was destroyed.  Fifteen seconds."  He's insured, he and his family are going to be financially okay because of that, but that will stick with me forever.  A lot to learn from that.

• Like 5

I never thought my first post here would mention a tornado unless Paducah Tilghman was involved. Our lives changed dramatically Friday night and Saturday morning I started getting calls from all over the country checking on us.  In most cases they knew a lot more about what happened than we did. We knew it was bad, but not how bad.

No electricity, no water, no internet, and sketchy to non-existent cell phone left all of us feeling pretty isolated.  I saw the best and worst of what life has to offer Saturday morning and the response of this community and then quickly others will be what I want to remember.

I wanted to share a few things I saw;  1) at the high school I saw coaches, administrators, and teachers that had been up all night giving shelter and first aid to those who needed it.  Arranging transportation for those that needed more serious medical attention and handing out what supplies they had to offer, 2) I saw police cars, firetrucks, & ambulances from places that I didn't recognize, 3) I saw a board member of the local bank running a skid steer removing debris, 4) I saw teenagers pitching in to help, not because they were told to, but because it needed to be done,  5) I saw more and more help rush in as the day went on  5)  most importantly  I saw  that what made this community historic was never the buildings.

Volunteers from all over the country have poured in.  Yesterday my wife volunteered with Samaritans Purse. She worked with folks from Nevada who had been on the way to vacation in their motorhome, but when they heard what happened they doubled back from Nashville to help here.  There were people from Tennessee and Missouri.  There was a football coaches wife from Louisville.  She knew all their names and she loved them for being here to help.  I asked her what the football coaches wife's name was and she said it was Beth Satterfield.  I asked her if she knew her husband was the head coach of the Louisville Cardinals.  She didn't.  Told her he was kind of a big deal.  She felt like maybe she should be embarrassed for not knowing, but in her world Joe Morris is only head coach of the Cardinals.  We are going to be fine.

• Like 8

Been going non stop guys. I live right outside the city of Mayfield and we had no damage. Some family members lost everything, but we are fortunate enough to have the resources to take care of them and most importantly they weren’t home last Friday night. Pictures and videos don’t do it justice.

Wanted to give a shout out to former GC Eagle, current Wisconsin center, Chris Vogt to use his platform there in Wisconsin to raise over 150K. So many similar stories of heroes out here in Mayfield/Graves and surrounding areas. 

This community is strong. I fully expect the City of Mayfield to be stronger than ever once this is over.

• Like 3